The Full Wiki

Oban, Saskatchewan: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Oban is an unincorporated area administered by the rural municipality of Biggar No. 347, in the Canadianmarker province of Saskatchewanmarker. Oban is located on Saskatchewan Highway 14 in western Saskatchewan. The closest town is Biggarmarker to the southeast. Biggar railway stationmarker is a divisional point for the Canadian National Railway . Oban is renowned for having the last provincial interlocking tower at the Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Railway level crossing which was constructed in 1910 and closed in 1990.

History

The name Oban is from the community Obanmarker in Argyll, Scotland.

Economy

The community had a grain elevator and post office till the 1960s. The Oban Salt Company opened in 1937.

Law and government

The Reeve and council of Biggar No. 347, Saskatchewan RM provide the rural area with government and infrastructure maintenance. Oban is within the provincial consituency of Biggar and elects a Member of the Legislative Assembly Oban is represented by a member of Parliament representing the federal electoral district of Saskatoon—Rosetown—Biggar.

Demographics

The population is enumerated as a part of the RM of Biggar No. 347, Saskatchewan. These statistics are for the RM.

::N/A = Data Not Available


Education

Historically Oban School District #4733 was located at Township 37 range 16 West of the 3 Meridian.

Transportation

In 1925 Oban was located on the Minnedosa–Saskatoon–Edmonton CPR branch line between Castlewood, and Naseby. The CPR was intersected by the CNR GTP West. Oban was located on the CNR between Biggar and Palo. Oban was also a part of the Porter Subdivision, CNR between Lett and Biggar.

Infrastructure

Oban is renowned for having the last provincial Interlocking tower at the Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Railway level crossing which was constructed in 1910 and closed in 1990. The tower has been moved to the Saskatchewan Railway Museummarker.

Oban tower was a requirement for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway when it wanted to cross the exising CPR rail tracks. (Canadian Northern Railway was amalgamated with the Grand Trunk Railroad by the Dominion Government to form the Canadian National Railways in 1919.) Oban tower consisted of a 16-frame interlocking machine. There were levers attached to pipes and cranks which controlled semaphore signals and train derails. If an approaching train did not react to the signals at the crossing, the derails were utilised causing a minor accident and averting a major collision. The signals would be operated and along the railway track. At the derail would be set if the train could not stop before the intersection.

There have been railway track in the province of Saskatchewanmarker. Rail companies were intersected 58 times at level crossings. Some of these were railway lines crossing municipal street car rail lines. There were 36 Saskatchewan crossings which were controlled by mechanical interlocking machines between the early 1900s and 1990.

Area statistics

  • Lat (DMS) 52° 08' 00" N
  • Long (DMS) 108° 08' 00" W
  • Dominion Land SurveySection 30, Township 36, Range 15, West of the 3rd Meridian
  • Time zone (cst) UTC-6


Location




Photo gallery

Image:Lever frame Oban Tower SRM.jpg|Lever frameImage:ObanTowerLeverFrame.jpg|Lever frameImage:Oban-InterlockingTower-SRM.jpg|Interlocking tower

See also



Notes



Published works

  • Title A Harvest of memories : Oban, Neola, Avalon, Elwell, Monarch, Louvain, Kensmith, Twin Hill, Fairmount, Vanceview, Gagenville, Curths Hill, Castlewood, Whiteshore, Wilson Lake / [editor : Isla Solanik] or the North Biggar history
*Published Biggar, Sask. : North Biggar History Book Committee, 1986
*ISBN 0889256020


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message