The Full Wiki

More info on Old Brooklyn

Old Brooklyn: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Old Brooklyn is a west side neighborhood of Clevelandmarker, extending east-to-west from the Cuyahoga Rivermarker to the City of Brooklynmarker and north-to-south from the Brookside Park Valley to the City of Parmamarker. Originally a portion of Brooklyn Township, the area was settled permanently in 1814 as the hamlet of Brighton, centered at the present-day intersection of Pearl and Broadview Roads. The Brighton area was incorporated as South Brooklyn Village in 1889 and then annexed with other surrounding villages by the City of Cleveland during the years of 1905-1927.

The first instance of white habitation, here, may have occurred prior to Brighton's founding, when fur trader Joseph Du Shattar established a trading post on the west bank of the Cuyahoga River, across from Newburgh, in about 1790.

During the late 1880s, farmers in the Schaaf Road area (now known as South Hills) were among the first in the Midwest to use greenhouses to cultivate vegetables. By the 1920s the neighborhood was one of the nation's leading producers of greenhouse vegetables, with more than under glass. Most of the greenhouses were displaced during the past three decades by new housing and the construction of Ohio Rt. 176 (Jennings Freeway).

Old Brooklyn's most notable landmark, the Cleveland Zoomarker, was created in 1908 when Cleveland's Park Board relocated the Zoo to Brookside Park from University Circle on Cleveland's east side.

White Autos of Cleveland vs. Luxus of Omaha, 1915
Brookside Park is reputed to have hosted the largest baseball crowd in Cleveland's history when the White Autos of Cleveland met Omaha in the World Amateur Baseball Championship. On October 10, 1915, a reported crowd of 115,000 sprawled along and below the Park's northern bluff, directly west of today's Fulton Road Bridge, and cheered as the home team seized the day.

Commercial development in Old Brooklyn reached its apex during the period of 1920-1960. Shopping districts spread along Pearl, Broadview, and State Roads and were followed after World War II by the development of shopping plaza at the intersections of Memphis-Fulton, Broadview-Brookpark, and Pearl-Brookpark. The original Honey Hut ice cream shop, a favorite of many west-siders, can be found on State Road near the south end of the community.

The most ambitious period of residential construction extended from the early part of the 20th century through the 1950s. During the 1980s and 1990s, residential development experienced a resurgence, particularly in the South Hills and Jennings Road areas. Housing values in Old Brooklyn, today, are among the highest within Cleveland proper.

The neighborhood's secondary students generally attend James Ford Rhodes High School, whose most recognizable graduate is Drew Carey of television fame. The Carey program's "Warsaw Tavern" was patterned after a bar near the Memphis and Fulton intersection. Another Old Brooklyn native, the late Mary Strassmeyer, was the gossip columnist of the Cleveland News and The Plain Dealer.

The Jeremiah Gates Home, built in 1820 and located at 3506 Memphis Avenue, is believed to be the oldest residence in Old Brooklyn. Other notable landmarks include the Brooklyn-Brighton Bridge, the Estabrook Recreation Center, and the Italian Gothic-style Our Lady of Good Counsel Church atop Pearl Road Hill.

Future developments include the Treadway Creek Greenway Restoration project which will restore and preserve of riparian corridor and open space along Treadway Creek. The project includes a trail connector from the neighborhood to the Ohio and Erie Canalmarker National Heritage Corridor's Towpath Trail.

Old Brooklyn's population as of the 2000 census is approximately 34,169.

Boundaries

Old Brooklyn is bounded on the north by interstate 71 just west of Brookside Park, and north to Denison Ave.The western boundary is Ridge road, south is Brookpark Road, and the Jennings Freeway (State Route 176) to the east.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message