The Full Wiki

More info on Olympic Stadium (Berlin)

Olympic Stadium (Berlin): Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Olympiastadion (Olympic Stadium) is a sports stadium in Berlinmarker. There have been two stadia on the site: the present facility, and one that was built for the aborted 1916 Summer Olympics. Both were designed by members of the same family, the first by Otto March and the second by his son Werner March.

The current Olympiastadion was originally built for the 1936 Summer Olympics in the southern part of the Reichssportfeld (today Olympiapark Berlin). During World War II, the area suffered little damage. After the war, the Britishmarker military occupation used the northern part of the Reichssportfeld as its headquarters until 1994.

Aside from its use as an Olympic stadium, the Olympiastadion has a strong footballing tradition. Historically, it is the ground of club Hertha BSC. It was also used for 3 matches in the 1974 FIFA World Cup. It hosted six matches, including the final, in the 2006 FIFA World Cup and was renovated for that reason. The German Cup final match is held each year at the Olympiastadion.

1916 to 1934: Deutsches Stadion, old Olympiastadion

In 1912, during the 1912 Summer Olympics, the city of Berlinmarker was designated by the International Olympic Committeemarker (IOC) to host the 1916 Summer Olympics. Germany'smarker proposed stadiummarker for this event was to be located in Charlottenburgmarker, in the Grunewald Forestmarker, to the west of Berlin -- thus the stadium was also known as Grunewaldstadion. A horse racing-course already existed there which belonged to the Berliner Rennverein, and even today the old ticket booths survive on Jesse-Owens-Allee . The government of Germany decided not to build on the nearby Grunewald forest, or to renovate buildings that already existed. Because of this desire, they hired the same architect who originally had built the "Rennverein", Otto March.

March decided to bury the stadium in the ground ("Erdstadion", in German). The project became the biggest sports stadium in the world at that time with a capacity of 40,000 spectators.

However, the Olympic Games of 1916 were cancelled due to World War I. After this conflict, a school was founded in the vicinity of the Stadium, dedicated to the teaching of professors of physical education and the study of sport science. From 1926 to 1929, Otto March's sons (Werner and Walter) were assigned to build an annex for these institutions: the "Deutsches Sportforum" (German Sportforum), though the construction was intermittent because the project had little financial support.

The Olympiastadion in 1936.


1936: Reichssportfeld (sport field of the Reich)

In 1931, the International Olympic Committee made Berlin the host city of the 11th Summer Olympics.

Originally, the German government decided merely to restore the earlier Olympiastadion (German Stadium) of 1916, with Werner March again retained to do this.

When the Nazis came to power in Germany (1933), they decided to use the Olympic Games for propaganda purposes. With these plans in mind, Hitler ordered the construction of a great sports complex in Grunewald named the "Reichssportfeld" with a totally new Olympiastadion. Architect Werner March remained in charge of the project, assisted by his brother Walter March.

Construction took place from 1934 to 1936. When the Reichssportfeld was finished, it was 1.32 square kilometres (326 acres). It consisted of (east to west): the Olympiastadion, the Maifeld (Mayfield) (capacity of 50,000) and the Waldbühne amphitheater (capacity of 25,000), in addition to various places, buildings and facilities for different sports (such as football/soccer, swimming, equestrian events, and field hockey) in the northern part.

Olympiastadion

Werner March built the new Olympiastadion on the foundation of the original Deutsches Stadion, once again with the lower half of the structure buried 12 meters underground.

The capacity of the Olympiastadion reached 110,000 spectators. It also possessed a VIP stand for Adolf Hitler and his political associates. At its end, aligned with the symmetrically-designed layout of the buildings of the Olympischer Platz and toward the Maifeld, was the Marathon Gate with a big receptacle for the Olympic Flame.



Maifeld

Maifeld (Mayfield) was created as a huge lawn (112,000 square metres, 28 acres) for gymnastic demonstrations, specifically annual May Day celebrations by Hitler's government.

Maifeld was surrounded by 19 metres of land elevation (62 ft), even though the Olympiastadion (to the east) was only 17 metres (55 ft) high.

The total capacity was 250,000 people, with 60,000 in the large stands that extended at the west end. Also located there were the Langemarck-Halle (below) and the Bell Towermarker (rising high).

The walls were built with sturdy stone from the area of the Lower Alps, and also feature equine sculptures (work of Josef Wackerle).

During the 1936 Olympics, the Maifeld was used for polo events and several allegorical gymnastic demonstrations.

Bell Tower

The Bell Tower crowned the western end of the Reichs Sportfield planted amid the tiers of the Maifeld stands. It was 77 metres (247 ft) high. From its peak could be observed the whole city of Berlin. During the games, it was used as observation post by administrators and police officials, doctors and the media.

In the tower was the Olympic Bell. On its surface were the Olympic Rings with an eagle, the year 1936, the Brandenburg Gatemarker, the date 1.-16. August and a motto between two swastikas: I call the youth of the world and 11. Olympic Games Berlin - although the games was 10th (Summer) Olympics, but the Games of the XI Olympiad.

The Bell Tower was the only part of the Reichssportfeld that was destroyed in the war. The Third Reich used tower's structure to store archives (such as films). The Soviet troops accidentally set its contents on fire, turning the tower into a makeshift chimney. The structure emerged from the fire severely damaged and weakened.

In 1947 the British engineers demolished the tower, however reconstructed it faithfully in 1962. The Olympic Bell (which had survived the fire and remained in its place in the tower) fell 77 metres and cracked and has been unable to sound since then. In 1956 the bell was rescued, only in order to be used as a practice target for shooting with anti-tank ammunition. The old bell survives to this day and serves now as a memorial.

The restoration of the tower was carried out from 1960 to 1962, once again by the architect Werner March, following the original blueprints. The present tower became an important tourist destination offering a panorama of Berlin, Spandaumarker, the Havelmarker Valley, Potsdammarker, Nauenmarker and Hennigsdorfmarker.



The Langemarck-Halle

This consisted of huge halls built under the stands of the Maifeld. Pillars were raised on which hung flags and shields commemorating all the forces that participated in a battle fought in Langemarkmarker (West Flanders, Belgium) on November 10, 1914, during the First World War.Since 2006 the ground floor is home to a public exhibit providing historical information on the area of the former Reichssportfeld.

Waldbühne, the Forest Theatre

Waldbühne in 2003.
The Waldbühne was built by using the glacial river banks of the Berlin glacial valley. Reproduction of the old theater of Epidaurusmarker (3rd century BC). The theater was then named "Dietrich-Eckart-Bühne" in homage to Dietrich Eckart.

Seating for up to 23,000 spectators goes down to a depth of 30 metres (97 ft); in the middle section once stood Adolf Hitler's box. The surroundings were decorated with statues by Adolf Wamper.During the Olympics, gymnastics competitions and a myriad of cultural programs were staged in the Waldbühne.

Today, it is used as one of Europe's biggest and most beautiful concert venues.It is claimed that the Waldbühne has one of the best views to the stage worldwide, no matter in which category your seat is located.Since 2009 Waldbühne's operator is CTS Eventim.

The Waldbühne held concerts by Bon Jovi, Bob Marley & The Wailers, Depeche Mode, Céline Dion, Linkin Park, Herbert Grönemeyer, Barbra Streisand, R.E.M., Metallica and many others.

Berlin, 1936 Summer Olympics

Entrance with Olympic rings


On August 1, 1936, the Olympics were officially inaugurated by the Nazi Dictator, Adolf Hitler, and the Olympic Flame was lit by the athlete Fritz Schilgen.

While the Olympic Flame had been used for the first time in Amsterdam 1928, in Berlin 1936 a marathon-like tour of the Olympic Torch was introduced, from Olympia in Greece, crossing six frontiers with a journey of 3000 km to Berlin, through Greecemarker, Bulgariamarker, Yugoslavia, Hungarymarker, Czechoslovakiamarker, Austriamarker and Germanymarker. The original idea of this Olympic torch relay was Carl Diem's, who was a notorious political advisor to Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels, specializing in Olympic affairs.

Four million tickets were sold for all the events of the 1936 Summer Olympics. This was also the first Olympics with television transmission (25 giant screens were scattered all over Berlin) and radio transmissions in 28 languages (with 20 radio vans and 300 microphones).

Among the sport competitions, one of the most memorable events was the performance of the African-American track and field athlete Jesse Owens, representing the United States of Americamarker. Owens was awarded the gold medal in 4 categories: 100 metres, 200 metres, long jump and 4 x 100 metres relay.

The 1936 Olympics held in the stadium were immortalized in the film Olympia (1938) by Leni Riefenstahl.

1939 to 1945: World War II

The Olympiastadion was one of the few buildings that survived not just in a recognizable form, but almost untouched after the Second World War. It only suffered the impact of machine gun shots.

The most significant battle around the Olympiastadion was in April 1945 when the Soviet army fought to capture it. This was during the great final battle of the Second World War in Europe, with the total invasion of Berlin as the Allies' target.

1945 to 1994: Occupied Berlin

The Olympiastadion in 1993, its pre-War architecture intact
After the war, the former Reichssportfeld was used as headquarters of the British military occupation forces.

The British forces settled in the northern buildings designed by the March brothers in the 1920s, which the Third Reich had used for official sport organisations such as the Reich Academy of Physical Training and the House of German Sports. Soon, the Occupation started a careful reconstruction of the general facilities. From then until 1994, British forces held an annual celebration of The Queen's Official Birthday in the Maifeld with thousands of spectators from Berlin present. During the 1960s, American military and high school football teams introduced hundreds of thousands of Berliners to American football at the stadium in exhibition games.

During those years, Bundesliga matches were played in the Olympiastadion, with Hertha BSC as local team. In the Maifeld, several competitions of football, rugby and polo were staged too. In the summers, the Waldbühne resumed its concerts of classical music, as well the showing movies. The theatre was also used as an improvised ring for boxing matches.

Hertha BSC Berlin

In 1963, the Bundesliga was formed, and Hertha BSC participated by direct invitation, leaving its old stadium (the "Plumpe") to use the Olympiastadion. On August 24, it played the first local match against FC Nuremberg, with the final score 1:1.However, in 1965, the German Football Association DFB found Hertha BSC guilty of bribery and relegated them to the Regional Leagues. Hertha had illegally bribed several football players in an attempt to add them to the team, following their disinterest in playing in Berlin because of the construction of the Berlin Wallmarker (1961). In 1968, Hertha returned to the first division, and to the Olympiastadion, and in 1971 sold "Plumpe". The second half of 1970s was quite successful for Hertha BSC Berlin. In 1979, it reached the semifinals of the UEFA Cup, but was defeated by Red Star Belgrade. Hertha reached the finals of the German Cup twice (1977 & 1979).

In the 1980s, Hertha had a declining role in the Bundesliga, and fell to the Regional Leagues in 1986, although they later recovered reaching the Second Division (1988-1989).

With the demolition of the Berlin Wallmarker in November 1989, a spontaneous feeling of sympathy between Hertha and FC Union from Eastern Berlin arose, which culminated in a friendly match at the Olympiastadion with 50,000 spectators (January 27, 1990).

In 1990, Hertha returned to the First Division, although it fell again to the Second Division from 1991 until 1997.

Since 1997, the club has improved greatly, climbing up the Bundesliga table and qualifying for the UEFA Champions League, with matches against top European teams like Chelsea and A.C. Milan, increasing the international prestige of the club.

1974 FIFA World Cup

The Langemarck-Halle


Some matches of Group A (West Germanymarker, Chilemarker, East Germanymarker and Australia) of the 1974 FIFA World Cup were played in the Olympiastadion. The third match, Australia vs Chile, was played in torrential rain. The hosts, West Germanymarker, won the tournament.

FIFA Day Match Round Team 1 Team 2 Destination
June 14 Group A 1 Vs. 0 Second Round
June 18 Group A 1 Vs. 1 Second Round
June 22 Group A 0 Vs. 0 Second Round


Team Pts Pld W D L GF GA GD
5 3 2 1 0 4 1 3
4 3 2 0 1 4 1 3
2 3 0 2 1 1 2 -1
1 3 0 1 2 0 5 -5


1994 to 2005

View of the interior


In 1998, Berliners debated the destiny of the Olympiastadion in light of the legacy it represented for Germany.

Some wanted to tear the stadium down and build a new one from scratch, while others favoured letting it slowly crumble "like the Colosseum in Rome".

Finally, it was decided to renovate the Olympiastadion. FIFAmarker then chose it as one of the venues of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The State of Berlinmarker hired a consortium composed of WALTER BAU-AG and DYWIDAG that won the 45 million franchise. The consortium took charge of the operation of the facilities together with Hertha BSC and the Government of Berlin after the remodelling.

On July 3, 2000, the renovation began with a ceremony presided over by the Chancellor Gerhard Schröder, accompanied by Eberhard Diepgen (Berlin Mayor), Franz Beckenbauer and Prof. Dr. Ignaz Walter.

Technical details

70,000 cubic metres (2.5 million cu. ft.) of concrete and 20,000 cubic metres (700,000 cu. ft.) of pre-cast reinforced concrete elements were used. 12,000 cubic metres (424,000 cu. ft.) of concrete was demolished and removed and 30,000 cubic metres (1.1 million cu. ft.) of natural stone was refurbished.

The roof was extended, to cover a total of 37,000 square metres. With 20 roof-supporting columns carrying a weight of 3,500 tons of steel.

With the intention to create a more intimate atmosphere for football games the playing field was lowered (even more) by 2.65 metres (9 ft); approximately 90,000 cubic metres (3.2 million cu. ft.) of sand was excavated. The lower tier of seating in the stadium was demolished and rebuilt at a completely different angle of inclination.

The conservation factor of the Olympiastadion as a historical monument was also considered, especially with respect to the preservation of the natural stone blocks.After criticisms, the colour of the athletics track around the game field was changed from red to blue (reflecting the colours of Hertha BSC).

The renovation

Photograph of the Berlin Olympiastadion taken from the Bell Tower and the Maifeld after the renovation.
Interior view of the Olympiastadion.
The inauguration celebrations of the new Olympic Stadium were carried out on July 31, 2004 and August 1, 2004. On that day, Saturday, the party began with performances from Pink, Nena (99 Red Balloons) and Daniel Barenboim. It culminated at night with the opening ceremony.

On day two, friendly matches were played between different categories of the club Hertha BSC and visiting teams. On September 8, 2004, Brazil played Germany.

The new Olympic Stadium has a seating capacity of 74,500, second most in Germany behind Dortmundmarker's Signal Iduna Park marker.

The roof rises 68 metres over the seats and is made up of transparent panels that allow sunlight to stream in during the day. The western portion (on the Marathon Arch) is open to reveal the Bell Tower to the spectators.

The Olympiastadion was equipped with the latest technology in artificial illumination and sound equipment. It has 113 VIP stands, a set of restaurants, and two underground garages (for 630 cars).

The total cost of the remodeling and amplification was €242 million.

Current use

  1. Hertha BSC Berlin plays its DFB-Bundesliga matches. Historical local team.
  2. German Cup's (official Germanmarker title: "DFB-Pokal") final match is held at the Olympiastadion yearly.
  3. Frauen DFB-Pokal, since 1985.
  4. ISTAF, annually as of the Golden League in athletics.
The stadium also served as home to the Berlin Thunder, an American football team in NFL Europa, until the league's operator, the U.S.marker National Football League, closed down the money-losing competition in 2007.

The stadium was a possible venue for the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final, along with the Allianz Arenamarker in Munichmarker before Wembley Stadiummarker in Londonmarker was decided as the venue in January 2009.

FIFA World Cup 2006

Scheduled matches

Date Time (CET) Team #1 Result Team #2 Round Spectators
13 June 2006
21.00
1 – 0
Group F
72,000
15 June 2006
21.00
1 – 0
Group B
72,000
20 June 2006
16.00
3 – 0
Group A
72,000
23 June 2006
16.00
1 – 0
Group H
72,000
30 June 2006
17.00
1 – 1 (4 – 2 PEN)
Quarter-finals
72,000
9 July 2006
20.00
1 – 1 (5 – 3 PEN)
Final
72,000


Political considerations

The Olympiastadion was designated to play the final match of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. And this has taken place exactly 70 years after the 1936 Summer Olympics.

Peter Steinhorst, chief technician on the project, said to the BBC: "Whenever you enter, you will still know this was the site of the 1936 Games. You will pass all the old Nazi sculptures".

"The history is there, the totality of the buildings is there. The whole Nazi landscape has not disappeared", added the sports sociologist Günther Gebauer. "There are towers like in a fortress, and people who come will always ask where the Führer sat.".

Germany's Interior Minister Otto Schily, who attended the opening party, concluded: "The stadium recalls the dark elements present in its creation. But in 2006 the world will look upon to modern, democratic, and open Germany".

Trivia

  • On January 9, 2002, construction workers found a World War II bomb buried beneath a section of seating. It was detonated outside the stadium by Berlin police.
  • From 1951 to 2005, the Olympischer Platz had a giant antenna transmitting for all the portable radios in Berlin.
  • The outside of the stadium was used in the filming of the 2002 film Equilibrium.
  • The stadium at one point held the world record for the attendance of a baseball game, thought to be over 110,000.
  • In mid-August 2009, the stadium was the venue where Usain Bolt ran below 9.60 seconds and broke the 100 m World Record. (9.58 seconds)


Literature

Audiobook

"Olympic Stadium Berlin" by Andreas Janowski. Published by Andreas Janowski Verlag under the label "sights-on-audio" www.sights-on-audio.com

References

  1. Olympic Games Berlin 1936 - The emblem International Olympic Committee


External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message