Oxford is a borough in
County, Pennsylvania, United
States. Oxford is the closest town to Lincoln
The population was 4,315 at the 2000
The area was first settled by Native Americans. Oxford was first
called Hood's Crossing, after the local Hood's Tavern. The borough
was then called Oxford Crossing and Oxford Village.
Oxford was located near the half-way point on the main road from
Philadelphia to Baltimore. The owner of the stage between the two
cities purchased Hood's Tavern and re-named it Oxford Hotel; it was
the stopping point on the two-day trip between the two
In 1833, Oxford was officially incorporated as a borough. Its first
burgess (currently called the mayor) was Thomas Alexander, who
operated a general store in which the oldest public library in
Pennsylvania was located. His store is thought to be the oldest
building in Oxford.
The northern half of Oxford was owned by the Dickey family in the
19th century. The Dickeys included the local Presbyterian minister,
the founder of the local bank, a state Representative, and local
businessmen. Reverend John Miller Dickey and his wife
Sarah Emlen Cresson founded Ashmun Institute in 1854 which later
The family played a major role in
re-routing the planned railroad connecting Philadelphia and
Baltimore. Track was laid in the 1850s, and by the time of the
Civil War, Oxford was a bustling community. The business district
on Third Street was entirely re-built at this time, including the
Oxford Hotel (1858) and Oxford Hall (1862). Oxford became known for
its confectionery and candy businesses and was the location of many
In the late 20th century, transportation changes resulted in Oxford
being located off the main roads. A bypass was constructed for U.S.
Route 1, but the major change was the construction of Interstate 95
- which shifted the bulk of the Philadelphia-Baltimore traffic away
Oxford is located at (39.783877, -75.978375).
According to the United
States Census Bureau
, the borough has a total area of
1.9 square miles
), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 4,315
people, 1,703 households, and 1,047 families residing in the
borough. The population density
was 2,254.6 people per square mile (872.3/km²). There were 1,825
housing units at an average density of 953.6/sq mi
(368.9/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 77.75% White
, 11.87% African American
, 0.23% Pacific Islander
, 7.39% from
, and 2.04%
from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 16.15% of the
There were 1,703 households out of which 30.5% had children under
the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% were married couples
living together, 14.0% had a female
householder with no husband present, and 38.5% were non-families.
33.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had
someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average
household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the borough the population was spread out with 25.6% under the
age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 19.0% from 45
to 64, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age
was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 85.3 males. For
every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.0 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $34,966, and
the median income for a family was $41,172. Males had a median
income of $35,398 versus $23,015 for females. The per capita income
for the borough was
$16,579. About 10.0% of families and 11.8% of the population were
below the poverty line
, including 15.3%
of those under age 18 and 12.9% of those age 65 or over.
Points of Interest
- The Oxford Town Clock, sits on the Peoples Bank of Oxford on
South Third Street, was restored in May 2001. Also, Camp Saginaw is
The local public school district is the Oxford Area School District
five schools associated with the district: Jordan Bank Elementary,
Nottingham Elementary, Elk Ridge Elementary, Penn's Grove Middle,
and Oxford Area High
also the closest town to Lincoln
University, the first historically black
college in the United States.