Park Forest Plaza was a
shopping center located in the planned community of Park Forest,
Illinois and opened in 1949.
It was developed by
Philip M. Klutznick
as one of the first major
regional shopping centers in the United States and it served as the
downtown to the village. The distinctive clock tower in the open
courtyard became the symbol of both the shopping center and the
village. The grass and tree-lined courtyard gave the center an airy
attractiveness which was popular much of the year. The mall was
anchored by a Marshall Field's, Sears, and Goldblatt's
Competition from a new larger indoor mall in
Illinois in the early 1970s ultimately doomed Park Forest
The mall did survive until 1996 when Field's closed
and Sears moved to Lincoln Mall.
The village has now converted what is left to a downtown area with
local services, including retail stores, a banquet hall, a cultural
arts center, a dance studio, a movie theater, a senior residential
community and the Village Hall. Single-family homes are also being
built on the outskirts of the downtown area.
- Village of Park Forest, Illinois 60466 (708)