The Full Wiki

Partick: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Partick (Partaig in Gaelic) (formerly Perdyc or Perthick) is an area of Glasgowmarker on the north bank of the River Clyde, just across from Govanmarker. To the west lies Whiteinchmarker. Partick was a Police burgh from 1852 until 1912 when it was incorporated into the city.

Although Partick remained a village until the middle of the 18th century, it is an ancient place. The Kings of Strathclyde had a residence there, and in 1136 David I (1124-53) granted the lands of Perdyc to the see of Glasgow. The Bishops of Glasgow had a country seat in Partick. It was later the site of Partick Castlemarker, a country home of George Hutcheson (demolished 1836). It is thought the name comes from the Brythonic "Peartoc" (cf. Welsh perth, 'bush or thicket'), adopted into Scottish Gaelic as "Peart(h)aig", giving modern Gaelic "Pearraig" or "Partaig" (the latter form in use on signage at Partick stationmarker).
Partick is the area of the city most connected with the Highlands, and several Gaelic agencies, such as the Gaelic Books Council are based here. Even the ATM display some Gaelic in the area.

It is historically divided into three social areas; south of Dumbarton Road (working-class), north of Dumbarton Road (aspiring classes) and the Partick Hill grand villas (location of shipyard owners). Being within the sphere of influence of the University of Glasgowmarker and neighbouring Glasgow's salubrious 'West-End' it has a high student population. Traditional industries for the area were shipbuilding and the huge Meadowside Granary (recently demolished to make way for the new Glasgow Harbour residential development) employed many residents also. The main street in Partick, Dumbarton Road, has a number of services for residents to use.

A recent up turn in the Glaswegian housing market has seen Partick increasingly become a desirable location and refurbishment and new housing programmes within the area have helped further this process.

During the eighties Partick was a close community with families occupying a large volume of the available housing in the area. There has since been a change in that the families have mostly moved out of the area and the accommodation has become occupied by young professionals and students attending many of the local educational establishments. The volume of families in the area and the sense of community that existed during the eighties have all but diminished but can be found within those pubs that have survived the wine bar conversion.

The freedom that children had in the 1980s has vanished. It was an area where children had the run of the local parks and could be let out of site without constant worry that exists today. Adventures during this time would take kids down to the water front on the Clyde and up to the “Planton”(an area of grass with a gravel football pitch at the rear of Yorkhill hospital given to the community years before) where Dens where build using “waste” materials gathered from regeneration work that was ongoing during that period. During the summer months kids would visit the Kelvin River and enjoy a cooling swim at the rear of Spillers Mill. (now Hovis next to St Simons RC church)

Partick is home to the West of Scotland Cricket Club's Hamilton Crescentmarker ground, which was the site of the first ever international football match (between Scotland and England) on November 30, 1872. It finished 0-0.

Partick Thistle Football Club were formed in the area in 1876, but left to play in the Maryhillmarker area of Glasgow in 1909.
The well known comedian Billy Connolly was a Partick resident as a child. William Douglas Whittaker was also a resident as a child.

Partick railway station is a trunk station serving as an interchange between the local rail, Glasgow Subway and local bus systems. As well as being the fifth busiest train station in Scotlandmarker, it is the only transport hub to connect three different types of public transport. It replaced the former Partickhill railway stationmarker in 1979.

There were previously three other stations in the area, Partick Central railway stationmarker (renamed Kelvin Hall station in 1959), Merkland Streetmarker and Partick West railway stationmarker.
Doocot rear view.
Kelvinhall subway stationmarker is also located in Partick at the eastern end of the district near the intersection of Dumbarton Road and Byres Road.

The Partick interchange is currently being redeveloped due to its immense potential as a top-class interchange not only between Rail, Bus and Subway but also as the main interchange station between the Argyle and North Clyde rail lines.


There is an old Quaker burial ground in Partick Glasgow. The 'Quakers Graveyard' is situated at the bottom of Keith Street. Now a visitors attraction the graveyard was given over to the city of Glasgow. It was last used in 1857. Purdon Street runs parallel with Keith Street which was named after John Purdon a prominent quaker who lived in Partick in the 17th Century. His wife is buried in the graveyard at Keith Street. The Quakers Graveyard was last used in 1857.

See also

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address