Paya Lebar is an area in the
central-eastern part of Singapore. It is served by Paya Lebar
Station, on the East West
Line of Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit
It is also an urban planning area
Paya Lebar Road
Shopping Mall in Paya Lebar
Etymology and history
was a large, swampy area close to the Kallang River, hence its name. Paya
means "wide" in Malay
. This was an extensive and notorious
district, whose inhabitants engage
in cultivating market
One of the first persons to colonise this area was Richard Owen
Norris (died 1905), who bought part of the area in 1865 and lived
here with his family.
The admiralty wireless station
this district in 1915.
International Airport (commonly referred to as "Paya Lebar Airport") was
opened and became the area's chief landmark, along with a number of housing estates,
schools and factories.
Paya Lebar Street was officially named in 1958, while Paya Lebar
Way was named in 1972.
- Victor R Savage, Brenda S A Yeoh (2003), Toponymics - A
Study of Singapore Street Names, Eastern Universities Press,