The Full Wiki

More info on Penetanguishene Road

Penetanguishene Road: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Penetanguishene Road, now Highway 93 and Simcoe County Road 93, built between 1814-15, from the north side of Kempenfelt Baymarker (east of Barriemarker), to the townsite and Naval establishment at Penetanguishenemarker, was the first road constructed in what is now Simcoe County, Ontariomarker.

For several years the Holland Rivermarker and Lake Simcoemarker provided the only means of transportation. Holland Landingmarker was the northern terminus of Yonge Street. The military route to Georgian Baymarker prior to, and during the war of 1812, crossed Lake Simcoe to the head of Kempenfelt Bay, then by the Nine Mile Portage to Willow Creek and the Nottawasaga River. The Penetanguishene Military Post was started before the war, however, lacking a suitable overland transport route, passage from York marker to Lake Huronmarker continued via the Nottawasaga. The Penetanguishene Road replaced this route when the Naval Establishment was opened in 1817.

The route for the road was surveyed in 1808 by Samuel Wilmot. After the British captured Fort Michilimackinac in the War of 1812, the need to supply the captured fort created a need for ships to be built on Lake Huron, which in turn meant that an effective supply route needed to be cut. The decision was made to cut the road in November 1814 by General Gordon Drummond and the road was completed before the following spring.

The war ended before the road was finished. After the war, the surrounding land was purchased from the Chippeway and the road was opened for settlement. It was treated specially by the crown land office in that the strategic value of the route to the naval base led to the road being preferred for military settlers. Large numbers of soldiers who had served in Canada or in other parts throughout the British Empire were settled on the road and in the vicinity of Penetanguishene. Pensioners from Chelsea Hospitalmarker could be sent here. Many of the commuted pensioners were reduced to a state of extreme poverty.

From 1824, a connection to this road, built from Holland Landing and completed in 1827 to Kempenfelt Bay, was also called Penetanguishene Road. With its connection to Yonge Street and Middle Crossroad at Crown Hillmarker, the southern portion of Penetanguishene Road became an original part of Highway 11, in 1920.

Municipalities along Penatangushine Road

  • City of Barrie
  • Township of Oro Medonte
  • Township of Springwater
  • Township of Tay
  • Township of Tiny
  • Town of Midland
  • Town of Penetanguishene


Road info

Northern terminus: Turns into main street in Penatangushine

Southern terminus: Junction: Baycrest drive and Crestwood drive in Barrie

References

A History of Simcoe County, (1909) by Andrew F Hunter 1863-1940. Volume 1


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message