Pennsylvania Route 340 is a
long state highway located in Lancaster and Chester counties in Pennsylvania. The western terminus is at Pennsylvania Route 462 in Lancaster.
The eastern terminus is at U.S.
Business in Thorndale.
The route was signed in 1928. In 1936, the western terminus was
moved from Lancaster to Harrisburg and the eastern terminus from
Gap to Coatesville. In 1946, the eastern terminus was moved to its
current location. In 1955, the western terminus was moved from
Harrisburg at Herr Street to Hershey. In 1987, that section of road
In 1961, the western terminus was moved from US 422 in Hershey to
PA 441 in Marietta. In 1967, the western terminus was moved to US
30 at Prospect Road west of Mountville.
In 1970, the western terminus was moved to its current location.
Several of the buildings along this route were established under
British rule, and were built as early as 1714 as part of the King's
Highway(see Compass Inn).
PA 340 runs parallel to US 30 for most of its length, and serves as
an alternate route that bypasses much of the development along US
30. Several villages exist along the route,
including, from west to east: Intercourse, White Horse, Compass, Wagontown, and Thorndale.