Peralta Adobe is the oldest building in San Jose,
is named after Luís María
, its most famous resident. The original builder was
probably Manuel Gonzalez, an Apache
Indian. The adobe
covers an area of 20 feet by
41 feet (6 x 12.4 m), and has two connecting rooms of approximately
equal size. The walls are about two feet thick and made of adobe
blocks that are 22 inches by 11 inches by 4 inches (56 x 28 x 10
cm). Inside, the adobe is furnished in much the same fashion as it
was 200 years ago, and outside is an outdoor fireplace. Purchased
by the City of San Jose in 1966, the building was restored and the
surrounding park completed in 1976.
Gonzalez, his wife, and their five children accompanied the
Anza Party to California in 1776.
The California Historical Landmark
plaque for the adobe
He was one of the founders of the
Pueblo de San Jose de
, the first municipal government in California,
established in 1777. This was the second house that Gonzalez chose
to live in, the first site was untenable due to winter flooding. In
1804 Gonzalez died and the adobe went to Luís María Peralta.
was a soldier and one of the owners of Rancho San
Antonio, one of the largest ranchos in Spanish California.
The Peralta Adobe is San Jose's Historic Landmark #1, California Historical
#866, and is listed on the National Register of
. In addition, the adobe was the first site
certified as a component of the Juan Bautista de
Anza National Historic Trail
The site is available for tour by appointment. This site and the
Thomas and Carmel Fallon House
in 1855 and directly across from the Peralta Adobe, are maintained
by History San Jose, a local nonprofit.