The Full Wiki

More info on Pereslavl-Zalessky

Pereslavl-Zalessky: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Pereslavl-Zalessky or Pereyaslavl-Zalessky ( ; could be translated as "Pereslavl, which is located behind the woods"), is a town in Yaroslavl Oblast, Russiamarker. It was called Pereyaslavl until the 15th century. The town is located on the southeastern shore of the Lake Pleshcheyevomarker at the mouth of the Trubezh Rivermarker. Population: 42,900 (2005 est.); The town is located 140 km to the northeast of Moscow on the main Moscow Yaroslavl road and on the shores of Pleschevo Lake.


Pereslavl-Zalessky was founded in 1152 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky as a projected capital of Zalesye. In 1175–1302, the town was the center of the Principality of Pereslavl (Zalessky). In 1302, the town became a part of the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Pereslavl-Zalessky had been devastated numerous times by the Mongols between the mid-13th century and the early 15th century. In 1611–1612, it suffered from the Polish invasion.

In 1688–1693, Peter the Great built his famous "fun flotilla" on Lake Pleshcheyevomarker for his own amusement, including the so-called Peter's little boat, which would be considered the forefather of the Russian fleet. The Botik (small boat) museum chronicles the history of the first Russian fleet and keeps one of the original model boats.

In 1708, Pereslavl-Zalessky became a part of Moscow Governorate. In 1894, Vladimir Lenin came to the village of Gorkimarker not far from Pereslavl-Zalessky and typed his work entitled "Who are the 'friends of the people' and how do they fight Social Democrats?" on a hectograph. In 1919–1920 and 1941–1943, a famous Sovietmarker artist Dmitry Kardovsky lived and created in Pereslavl-Zalessky.

Pereslavl-Zalessky is known for its historic buildings, including:
  • the white stone Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral (1152–1157);
  • Church of Metropolitan Peter (1585);
  • Troitse-Danilov Monastery (16th–18th centuries);
  • Nikitsky Monastery (16th–19th centuries);
  • Feodorovsky Monastery (16th–19th centuries);
  • Goritsky Monastery (17th–18th centuries).

There is also an Institute for Program Systems of the Russian Academy of Sciencesmarker.


Monuments of church architecture: six architecture complex convents and nine churches. In center of town remained swell surrounding historical center of the town. Along Trubezh River extend the fish suburb.

Museum and Exhibits
  • Museum–Estate “The Little Boat of Peter the Great”
  • The Pereslavl Arboretum
  • Museum of Flat Irons
  • The Museum of Kettles
  • The Museum of Steam Engines

At a distance of two kilometers from town there is archaeological monument Kleshin complex.

The town included in Golden Ring of Russia.

Image:Goritsky Monastery yard.jpg|Goritsky MonasteryImage:Assumption Cathedral in Goritsky Monastery in Pereslavl.jpg|Assumption CathedralImage:Temple Candlemas in Pereslavl-Zalessky 4.jpg|Church of the CandlemasImage:Pereslavl SpasoPreobrazhenskyCathedral .JPGImage:Irons Museum.JPG|Museum of Flat IronsImage:Sv.-nik.chudotv11.JPG|Nikolo-Solbinsky Monastery

People from Pereslavl-Zalessky


External links


Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address