Peter Zummo (born 1948) is an American composer and
He plays the trombone
other electronic instruments, and also sings. His music is
associated with the postminimalist
He holds a
PhD in ethnomusicology, a B.A. degree (with honors) in music (1970)
and an M.A. degree in music (1975), all from Wesleyan
He has studied with Carmine Caruso
, Roswell Rudd
, James Fulkerson
, Makanda Ken McIntyre
, and Sam Rivers
In his playing, Zummo frequently uses the circular breathing
allows him to extend drone
for a long
period of time. He is a core member of New York City's DownTown
Ensemble and has performed and/or recorded with John Lurie's
Lounge Lizards, Daniel Goode, Arthur Russell, and Guy Klucevsek.
- Zummo With an X (Loris Records)
- Experimenting with Household Chemicals (XI)
With DownTown Ensemble
- DownTown Only (Lovely Music)
With Tom Hamilton
- Slybersonic Tromosome (Penumbra)
With Yvette Perez
- '"Birdbrain - I Fly"' (Persian Cardinal)
- H.E.R. - Songs About the Mysteries of Housework
and Nature (Persian Cardinal)
With Arthur Russell
- 24-24 Music (1982). Sleeping Bag Records. With
- Tower of Meaning (1983). Chatham Square.
- Instrumentals (1984). Crepsecule. Recorded with The
Flying Lizards and Glenn Lamaro,
Bill Ruyle, and Jon
- Another Thought (1994). Point
Music 438 891-2. Compiled with help from Mikel Rouse.
- Calling Out of Context (2004). Audika Records.
Compiled by Steve Knutson.
- The World of Arthur
Russell (2004). Soul Jazz
- First Thought Best Thought (2006). Audika Records.
[Includes Instrumentals Volume 1 & 2, Reach
One, Tower of Meaning, and Sketch for the Face of
- Springfield EP (2006). Audika Records.
- Another Thought (Re-released 2006). Orange Mountain