The Full Wiki

Peterborough County, Ontario: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Peterborough County (2006 population 133,080) is located in Southern Ontariomarker, Canadamarker. It is projected to reach a population of 159,840 by 2031, according to the Ontario Ministry of Finance's Ontario Population Projections Update

The county was founded as the District of Colborne in 1838, centred around Peterboroughmarker, which became the County of Peterborough in 1850. In 1862, the County was redivided into Haliburton Countymarker, Peterborough County, and Victoria Countymarker (now the City of Kawartha Lakes). The centre of the County was originally the courthouse, which is still considered an important historical site.The southern section of the county is mix of agriculture, urban and lakefront properties. The northern section of the county is mostly sparsely populated wilderness with numerous rivers and lakes, mostly within the recently expanded Kawartha Highlands Provincial Parkmarker.

The county seat is Peterboroughmarker.

The County consists of eight townships:



The City of Peterboroughmarker is within the Peterborough County census division, but is separated from the county's administration.

The County contains the Lang Pioneer Village, and the Kawarthas are a major tourist region.

Historic Townships

The county was named in honor of Col. Peter Robinson, who in 1825 brought 2,000 settlers from Ireland. The route taken was by way of Port Hope, Rice Lake and the Otonabee River, the same route used by the first settlers that entered this region in 1818.

  • Asphodel Township, Area, Opened in 1821 and named after the Greek word for lily.


  • Belmont and Methuen Townships, Area , Opened in 1823 but by 1842 had only 33 householders, in 1866 only 185. Townships were mainly rock, lake and stream.


  • Burleigh and Anstruther Townships, Taxable area, . First settled in 1861. First Post Office was called Burleigh. Separated from Dummer Township in 1865.
  • Chandos Township, area . Opened n 1862 and named from one of the title of the Duke of Buckingham


  • Douro Township, area . Opened in 1821 and named in honor of one of the battles in the Peninsulamarker.


  • Dummer Township. Area . Opened in 1821 and named in honor of William Dummer Powell, Chief Justice of Upper Canada. A Colony of immigrants came in 1831, of whom 150 were sent out by the Marquis of Bath.


  • Ennismore Township. Area . Opened in 1829 and named in honor of William Hare, Viscount Ennismore, M.P. For Cork who died in 1827. Originally it was called Emily Gore.


  • Galway and Cavendish Townships, Assessed Area . Opened in 1857 and 1862 respectively.


  • Harvey Township. Area . Opened in 1821 and named after Sir John Harvey, Deputy Adjutant General in Canada during the War of 1812. Was part of Smith township until 1866. First settler were retired officers who come in 1832, but did not succeed.


  • North Monaghan. Area . Opened 1820.


  • Otonabee Township Area . Opened in 1820 and named from the River. The word in Indian signifies a delta.


  • Smith Township Area . Settled in October 1819 by Allen Otty.


Source: Province of Ontario -- A History 1615 to 1927 by Jesse Edgar Middletwon & Fred Landon, copyright 1927, Dominion Publishing Company, Toronto

Major places

Cities

Rural scene, Peterborough County, near Lakefield, Ontario


Towns/Villages



References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message