The Full Wiki

More info on Pflugerville, Texas

Pflugerville, Texas: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Pflugerville ( ) is a city in Travismarker and Williamson counties in the U.S. state of Texasmarker. The population was 16,335 at the 2000 census. A July 1, 2008 U.S. Census Bureau estimate placed the population at 39,653.

Pflugerville is a suburb of Austinmarker and part of the Austin–Round Rockmarker Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Geography

Pflugerville is located at (30.446122, -97.623989) , 14 miles (23 km) northeast of downtown Austinmarker along FM 1825 (Pecan Street) in northern Travis County. Pflugerville is situated 15 miles northeast of the Colorado River.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.3 square miles (29.4 km2).The city has one body of water - Lake Pflugerville - created in 2005 to serve as a water reservoir and city park, and two creeks, Gilleland Creek and Wilbarger Creek. A local school group Wilbarger Water Watchers in association with the LCRA monitor the waters of Wilbarger Creek to ensure it meets the United States Environmental Protection Agency's national standard.

History

Early years

The area was initially settled by German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Sr. (1803-67) and members of his family from late 1849 into early 1850. Pfluger had been wealthy farmer in Germany, but lost all of his property during the Prussian War. He arrived in the country with $1,600 and purchased 160 acres of land two miles east of Austin from John Liese, a brother-in-law who had immigrated before him. In 1853, Pfluger paid Liese $960 for a 960-acre tract of land in an area known as Brushy knob. There, the family lived in a five-room log cabin and raised corn, wheat, rye, beans, sweet potatoes, and sugar cane.

Community development

The beginnings of a community wouldn't develop until after the Civil War. During the 1870s, a school and Lutheran Church were established at the settlement. The first commercial business in the community was a general store built by Louis Bohls in 1890. Two local organizations: the German-American Mutual Assistance Foundation, to insure residents against natural disasters; and "Pflugerville Schuetzen and Kegel Verein," a shooting and bowling club. Pflugerville's post office opened in 1893 with Louis Bohls serving as its first postmaster. The population reached approximately 250 during the mid-1890s and a small downtown developed even though most residents did their branching and shipping in Round Rock, eight miles to the northwest. Wooden buildings were erected on Main Street and Pecan Street, many by Conrad Pfluger – one of Henry Pfluger, Sr.'s eight sons. In 1904, the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad (MKT) completed its track between Georgetownmarker and Austin, passing just outside of Pflugerville. Its close proximity to the line, however, caused the community to grow rapidly. On February 19, 1904, the town site of Pflugerville was platted by George Pfluger and his son, Albert, dedicating streets and alleys for the town from the Alexander Walter and C. S. Parrish Surveys in Travis County. The plat consisted of sixteen blocks, rights-of-way, and the depot grounds to the MKT. The first addition to the town was the six-block Wuthrich Addition, platted on November 22, 1904. The first cotton gin was built by Otto Pfluger in 1904. It was destroyed by fire in 1931 and a new one was built at the same location. On June 8, 1906, the Farmers State Bank of Pflugerville opened with William Pfluger as its president and A.W. Pfluger as cashier. The first issues of the Pflugerville Press, a weekly newspaper, began publishing on August 7, 1907 and operated through October 29, 1942. In 1910, black workers who worked in the Pflugerville cotton industry were not allowed to move into the town. Farmer La Rue Norton, who owned 1,200 acres of land west of Pflugerville, set aside an acre and sold lots to the workers at $50 each. County records listed the settlement as Pflugerville's Colored Addition in April 1910. The first Geman Day celebration in Pflugerville took place on May 29, 1910. In 1913, H.S. Pfluger built the Sky Dome Theater, which showed motion pictures to the accompaniment of a player piano on Friday and Saturday nights. It closed in 1928. In the early 1920s, Pflugerville was home to an estimated 500 residents. During that period, several area school districts consolidated with Pflugerville High School. Around 580 people lived in the community in 1930.

Decline

The arrival of the Great Depression halted what had been a lengthy period of growth in Pflugerville. The population fell slightly to 500 in 1940. In the years immediately after World War II, the community lost around a quarter of its population as citizens moved to Austin and other larger cities with greater employment opportunities. Despite the challenges of population loss and limited economic development, Pflugerville managed to survive. The community gained national attention when the Pflugerville Panthers won 55 consecutive football games from 1958 to 1962.

Resurgence

Efforts to incorporate Pflugerville culminated in the holding of an election on July 24, 1965. A total of 102 were cast with 60 (58.8%) supporting the proposition and 42 (41.2%) opposed. The town incorporated under a commission form of government. On April 4, 1970, an election was held that changed the form of government from commissioner to aldermanic, providing for an elected mayor and five aldermen. Pflugerville's population began to rebound after its incorporation and by the 1970 census, it stood at 549. That figure had risen to 745 by 1980. A weekly newspaper, the Pflugerville Pflag, began publication in 1980. During most of the 1980s, new development made Pflugerville one of the fastest growing cities in Texas. Estimates from the late 1980s were as high as 3,900. Although the boom was slowed by a statewide recession, Pflugerville's population to 4,444 in 1990.

Recent history

Throughout the 1990s, the city of Austin experienced a rapid rise in its population. This was also the case in suburban areas surrounding the city. Pflugerville and communities such as Cedar Parkmarker, Round Rock, and Georgetown came to or more than doubled in size by the next census in 2000. Since then, Pflugerville has grown by approximately 20,000, with the total number of residents approaching 40,000 as of 2008.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 16,335 people, 5,146 households, and 4,425 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,440.6 people per square mile (556.2/km2). There were 5,239 housing units at an average density of 462.0/sq mi (178.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 77.18% White, 9.46% African American, 0.24% Native American, 4.31% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 5.99% from other races, and 2.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.69% of the population.

There were 5,146 households out of which 56.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.4% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.0% were non-families. 10.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.15 and the average family size was 3.39.

In the city the population was spread out with 34.6% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 38.8% from 25 to 44, 16.9% from 45 to 64, and 3.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.6 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $71,985, and the median income for a family was $73,629. Males had a median income of $49,989 versus $32,188 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,226. About 1.7% of families and 1.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and 1.3% of those age 65 or over.

Economy and transportation

Pflugerville has the highest property tax rates in Travis County, according to data published by the county tax office. This is in part due to the city's past isolation from any major roadways, which has led to fewer businesses choosing to locate in town. (While a mile stretch of Interstate 35 is often referred by local media and residents as "in Pflugerville", the city of Austinmarker actually controls this land, either as part of the city or through its extraterritorial jurisdiction.)

In November 2006, the first parts of a central Texas tollway system opened, including State Highway 130 and State Highway 45. Approximately three miles of 130 run through Pflugerville, including the intersection of 45 and 130. Because most of the land surrounding these tollways is undeveloped, the city is planning to use this land to attract major commercial development, thereby improving its tax base and providing an opportunity to lower property tax rates. In fact, Stone Hill Town Center is now under development with The Home Depot, Best Buy, SuperTarget, Bealls, Dick's Sporting Goods, and PETCO already open; and scheduled to open in 2010 are Office Depot (interior finish-out), Ross Dress for Less (under construction), 24 Hour Fitness, and Cinemark Theatres.

Before the Stone Hill development and the nearby Pfluger Crossing development (a new development that includes a Wal-Mart Supercentermarker) opened their first stores in 2007, the city's two largest retailers were an Albertsons grocery store (which operated from 1996 to 2006) near Pflugerville High School and an H-E-B grocery store (operating since 2000) east of downtown.

The NBC television drama Friday Night Lights is filmed in Pflugerville and Austin, Texasmarker. They used Pflugerville High School's stadium to film the football games.

Education

Public education in the city of Pflugerville is provided by the Pflugerville Independent School District (PISD). The district serves Pflugerville, the community of Windemeremarker and part of Wells Branchmarker, a small portion of Austinmarker as well as rural areas in northeastern Travis County.

As of the 2008-2009 school year, PISD had a total enrollment of 21,719 students and operated three high schools (Pflugerville, Connally, and Hendrickson), five middle schools, seventeen elementary schools, and two alternative campuses.

Notes

  1. Travis County Tax Assessor Collector, accessed October 24, 2006
  2. 2009 Annual Regional Report, accessed January 25, 2009
  3. NewQuest Properties Property Lines, Fall 2009, accessed November 2, 2009


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message