Piel Castle also known as
Fouldry (or Fouldrey) Castle, is situated on the south-eastern
point of Piel
Island, 1 km off the southern tip of the Furness Peninsula, protecting the deep water harbour
of Barrow-in-Furness in north west England.( ).
tower was built on the island in 1212, when
King John allowed the monks of
Abbey to store provisions there.
The abbey engaged
in much trade through Piel Harbour and further fortified the site
soon after the Scottish invasions of 1316 and 1322. In 1327
gave Furness Abbey
a license to crenellate
the tower and a
motte and bailey
castle was built.
It was dismantled in 1403 but then partly rebuilt some years later.
However it was in ruins by the 16th century. Some renovations took
place in the mid-19th century.
The castle was a concentric
with a keep
and three towers surrounded by a
ditch. A well preserved keep and two baileys remain today. It is
managed by English Heritage
Castle is sometimes confused with Peel Castle, located on the Isle of Man, some thirty miles to the west.
occurs in reference to the William
poem that describes Piel, but is based upon a
spelling of the Castle as 'Peele'.
- William Wordsworth - Itinerary Poems of 1833
Isle-of-man.com; accessed April 2007; "Note also the Wordsworth's
lines on Peele Castle, though sometimes ascribed to Peel Castle,
IoM, do in fact refer to the Peele at Foudrey near Barrow...The
confusion with Peel Castle on the Island is an all too common
mistake by those who merely quote the line - including it must be
said the contributor to the literature section in Volume 5 of the
New History of the Isle of Man!"