The Full Wiki

More info on Polesworth

Polesworth: Map

  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Polesworth Abbey Gateway


Polesworth is a large village and civil parish in the North Warwickshiremarker district of Warwickshiremarker, Englandmarker. In the 2001 census it had a population of 8,439, inclusive of the continuous sub-villages (often regarded as suburbs) of St Helena, Dordonmarker and Hall End directly to the south. This population technically allows Polesworth market town status.

Polesworth is located at the northern tip of Warwickshire only 3 miles (5 km) northwest of Atherstonemarker and adjacent to the border with Staffordshire, and is only 7 km (4 miles) from Tamworthmarker. The border with Derbyshiremarker is 10 km (6 miles) to the north.

The River Ankermarker and the Coventry Canal run through Polesworth, and the A5 road runs nearby. Polesworth railway stationmarker is on the West Coast Main Linemarker. In 2005, Polesworth received no train services due to the modernisation of the West Coast Mainline. Train services were replaced by a replacement bus service. The footbridge to the up platform was removed and has not been replaced. The station in 2006 only receives one northbound service each day (towards Tamworth), all other services being operated by a replacement bus service.

History

The name Polesworth is derived from "pole" meaning a "depth of water" (as in rod) and "worth" meaning "a dwelling" or enclosure in the Old English language.

Polesworth was once the site of an abbey. Polesworth Abbeymarker was founded in 827 by King Egbert with his daughter Editha (later Saint Editha) as Abbess. It prospered for 700 years but was disbanded as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1544 the lands of the Abbey were granted by the Crown to Francis Goodere, who used the stones of the Abbey to build a manor house; Polesworth Hall.

Henry Goodere, son of Francis, was a patron of the arts and Polesworth Hall was a centre of culture during Elizabethan times. The poet Michael Drayton was in the service of the Goodere family around 1580, and his works contain allusions to Polesworth and the River Ankermarker (Brink, 1990). It is rumoured that William Shakespeare also spent some time as a fellow page boy here and they remained companions in adult life. Polesworth Hall no longer exists, as it was demolished in the 1860s.

In around 1509 Thomas Cockayne constructed Pooley Hall, which today includes some of the oldest brickwork in the country. The hall still exists and overlooks Pooley View. It was once owned by Edwin Starr, famous for the song War.

During the English Civil War, Polesworth and Wilnecotemarker are listed among the towns paying arrears to the Parliamentary garrison at Tamworth. In an account drawn up by a Captain Thomas Layfield for the period from November 1st, 1645 to May 1st, 1646, Polesworth (being rated at £8 a week) was assessed at and paid £196.16.0 while Wilnecote (at £2 a week) paid £50.7.0. (SP 28/136/31)

When the Coventry Canal was built through Polesworth in the 1770s, the village developed a coal-mining and clay industry and the population underwent rapid growth.

During the Second World War, opencast coal-mining devastated the surrounding countryside, and caused the river Anker to be diverted. The former opencast site is now a public park and the river now flows on its original course. Industry is now gone and Polesworth serves mainly as a small commuter town for nearby towns and cities such as Tamworthmarker, Nuneatonmarker, Lichfieldmarker, Sutton Coldfieldmarker, Birminghammarker and Coventrymarker.

References

  • Allen, Geoff Warwickshire Towns & Villages, Sigma Leisure (2000) ISBN 1-85058-642-X
  • Brink, Jean R. 1990. Michael Drayton revisited. Boston: Twayne. ISBN 0-8057-6989-7
  • The Warwickshire Village Book (1988) ISBN 1-85306-032-1


External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message