The Full Wiki

Polotsk: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Polotsk main square with Hotel Dzvina
Polotsk (Polatsk, , , , ) is a historical city in Belarusmarker, situated on the Dvina river. It is the center of Polotsk district in Vitsebsk Voblast. Its population is approximately 79,000. It is served by Polotsk Airportmarker and during the Cold War was home to Borovitsymarker air base.

History

The Old East Slavic name, Polotesk, is derived from the Polota river, that flows into the Dvina nearby. The Vikings rendered that name as Palteskja, or Paltejsborg.

Polotsk is one of the most ancient cities of the Eastern Slavs. It was mentioned for the first time by the Primary Chronicle in 862 (as Полотескъ, /poloteskŭ/), together with Murommarker and Beloozeromarker. The Norse sagas describe the city as the most heavily fortified in all of Rus.
View of Polotsk in 1912


Between the 10th and 12th centuries, the Principality of Polotsk emerged as the dominant center of power in what is now Belarusian territory, with a lesser role played by the principality of Turaŭmarker to the south. It repeatedly asserted its sovereignty in relation to other centers of Kievan Rus, becoming a political capital, the episcopal see and the controller of vassal territories among Balts in the west. Its most powerful ruler was prince Vseslav Bryachislavich, who reigned from 1044 to 1101. A 12th-century inscription commissioned by Vseslav's son Boris may still be seen on a huge boulder installed near the St. Sophia Cathedral. For a full list of Polotsk rulers, please see List of Belarusian rulers.

Polotsk became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1307, and it is said to have been the main center of trade in the state. The Magdeburg law was adopted in 1498. Polotsk was a capital of Połock Voivodship of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth until 1772. Captured by the Russianmarker army of Ivan the Terrible in 1563, it was returned to Lithuaniamarker just 15 years later.

That period of warfare started the gradual decline of the city. After the first partition of Poland, Polotsk degraded to have the status of a small provincial town of the Russian Empiremarker. During the French invasion of Russia in 1812, it was the site of two battles: see First battle of Polotsk and Second battle of Polotsk for details.

Cultural heritage

Saint Sophia Cathedral in 2006


The city's Cathedral of Saint Sophia in Polotskmarker (1044-1066) was a symbol of the independent-mindedness of Polotsk, rivaling churches of the same name in Novgorodmarker and Kievmarker and referring to the original Hagia Sophiamarker in Constantinoplemarker (and thus to claims of imperial prestige, authority and sovereignty). The building of the cathedral had been ruined by the troops of Peter I of Russia. Hence the present baroque building by Johann Christoph Glaubitz dates from the mid-18th century. Some genuine 12th-century architecture survives in the Convent of Saint Euphrosyne, which also features a neo-Byzantine cathedral, designed and built in 1893—1899 by Vladimir Korshikov.

Cultural achievements of the medieval period include the work of the nun Euphrosyne of Polotsk (1120-1173), who built monasteries, transcribed books, promoted literacy and sponsored art (including local artisan Lazarus Bohsha's famous "Cross of Euphrosyne," a national symbol and treasure lost during World War II), and the prolific, original Church Slavonic sermons and writings of Bishop Cyril of Turaw (1130-1182).

Belarusian first printer Francysk Skaryna was born in Polotsk around 1490. He is famous for the first printing of the Bible in an East Slavic language (in Old Belarusian) in 1517, several decades after the first-ever printed book by Johann Gutenberg and just several years after the first Czech Bible (1506).

In September 2003, as "Days of Belarusian Literacy" were celebrated for the 10th time in Polotsk, city authorities opened a monument to honor the unique Cyrillic Belarusian letter Ў, which is not used in any other Slavic language. The original idea for the monument came from the Belarusian calligraphy professor Paval Siemchanka, who has been studying Cyrillic scripts for many years.

Sports

The city has produced players to the Belarusian national bandy team.

Notable People



References

  1. Occidental spelling according to the Belarus Permanent Mission to the United Nations.
  2. Occidental spelling according to the official Belarus website.
  3. Occidental spelling according to "Nations Online" website.
  4. Spelling according to Google Maps.
  5. Savelyev, Yu. R. Vizantiysky stil v architecture Rossii (Савельев, Ю. Р. Византийский стиль в архитектуре России. - СПБ., 2005) Saint Petersburg, 2005. ISBN 5-87411-207-6, p.260
  6. http://www.bandy2008.ru/by-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-blr-teamroster-eng.pdf


External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message