fishes belonging to the family Bramidae
found in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans, and the largest species, the Atlantic pomfret, Brama brama,
grows up to long.
Several species are important food fish, especially Brama
in south Asia
. The earlier form of
the pomfret's name was pamflet,
a word which probably
ultimately comes from Portuguese pampo,
various fish such as the blue butterfish (Stromateus
It is known by various names, such as Vavval in Tamil
There are about twenty species in eight genera:
- Genus Brama
- Brama australis
- Atlantic pomfret, Brama brama (Fries,
- Caribbean pomfret,
Brama caribbea Mead,
- Lesser bream, Brama dussumieri Cuvier, 1831.
- Pacific pomfret, Brama japonica Hilgendorf,
- Brama myersi Mead,
- Bigtooth pomfret, Brama orcini Cuvier, 1831.
- Brama pauciradiata
Moteki, Fujita & Last, 1995.
- Genus Collybus
- Genus Eumegistus
- Genus Pteraclis
- Genus Pterycombus
- Genus Taractes
- Genus Taractichthys
- Genus Xenobrama
- Several species of butterfishes in
the genus Pampus are also known as
- Some species of Pomfret are also known as Monchong, specifically in Hawaiian cuisine.