The Full Wiki

Portovenere: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Portovenere (sometimes, in English, Porto Venere) is a town and comune (municipality) located on the Ligurian coast of Italymarker in the province of La Spezia. It comprises the three villages of Fezzano, Le Grazie and Portovenere, and the three islands of Palmariamarker, Tinomarker and Tinettomarker. In 1997 Portovenere and the villages of Cinque Terre were designated by UNESCOmarker as a World Heritage Site.

History

The ancient Portus Veneris is believed to date back to at least the middle of the first century BCE. It has been said that the name refers to a temple to the goddess Venus which was sited on the promontory where the church of Peter the Apostle now stands. The name has also been linked to that of the hermit Saint Venerius. In Roman times the city was essentially a fishing community.

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Portovenere became the base of the Byzantine fleet in the northern Tyrrhenian Sea, but was destroyed by the Lombards in 643 CE. Later, it was a frequent target of Saracen raids. First indications of the existence of a castle date from 1113, and in 1161 the walls were erected. Portovenere became a fiefdom of a family from Vezzanomarker before passing to Genoamarker in the early twelfth century. In 1494, it suffered a devastating bombardment from the Aragon fleet during their war with Genoa: subsequently the old part of the town declined in importance, giving way to the development of the Borgo Nuovo ("New District"), which had existed from 1139 and is centred on the church of St. Peter.

Main sights

  • The Gothic church of St. Peter, consecrated in 1198. It was built over a pre-existing fifth century Palaeo-Christian church, which had rectangular plan and semicircular apse. The new part, from the thirteenth century, is marked externally by white and black stripes.


  • The Romanesque church of St. Lawrence, erected in 1098 by the Genoese. It probably occupies the site of ancient temple dedicated to Jupiter. The church was damaged by a fire in 1340 and by the Aragonese attack in 1494, and was further restored in 1582.




  • The Grotta dell'Arpaia (now collapsed), known as Byron's Grotto, from which the English poet Byron swam across the gulf of La Spezia to San Terenzo to visit Shelley in Lericimarker, in 1822.


The medieval nucleus of Le Grazie is set around the 14th-century Church of Our Lady of the Graces; nearby is a medieval convent, which once belonged to the Olivetans, and the remains of the first century BCE Roman villa of Varignanomarker. Finds from recent excavations at the villa are held in the Antiquarium della Villa Romana del Varignano in Portovenere.

In Fezzano the medieval alleyways are noteworthy, along with the church of St. John the Baptist (1740) and the recently restored Villa Cattaneo.

Gallery

Image:Portovenere-sanpietro01.jpg|Statue of St. Peter in the homonymous church.Image:Portovenere, chiesa di San Lorenzo.jpg|Fa├žade of the church of St. Lawrence.Image:Portovenere panorama scale.jpg|The Church of St. Peter.

External links




Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message