The Full Wiki

Poulton-le-Fylde: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Poulton-le-Fylde (commonly shortened by locals to just Poulton) is a town within the Wyremarker borough of Lancashiremarker, Englandmarker. The town has a population of 19,480 as of 2001 and occupies an area of 7.79 km², for a population density of 2500 people/km². It is situated about 5 kilometres to the northeast of Blackpoolmarker town and the Irish Seamarker coast.

The town gained its name from the Wyre estuarymarker, which lies less than 2 kilometres to the north-east at Skippool. The name Poulton was created by combining the Old English words Pol, for pool or creek, and Tun,A saxon word meaning a farmstead or enclosure. Thus the name signifies "settlement by the pool". In 1842 the suffix 'le-Fylde' was added to distinguish the village from Poulton-le-Sands, a community since renamed to Morecambemarker and Poulton located on the Wirralmarker. The suffix comes from the Fylde peninsulamarker, although the town is not in the modern day local government area of Fyldemarker, which covers only the southern part of that peninsula.

By 2009, the town of Poulton-le-Fylde is expected to join the Wyre and Preston Northmarker constituency of the UK Parliamentmarker.

History

During the Roman era, the area around this location is believed to have been marshy ground, and was sparsely settled. The village was likely inhabited during the Anglo-Saxon period , and its name appears in the Domesday Book. A church is thought to have been located in the village since before the Norman Conquest

By the mediæval era, Poulton-le-Fylde served as a market town for the local area, and the town square has been used as a market dating from at least 1348 The ports on the River Wyremarker were later used for trade during the 18th century. These were supplanted by Fleetwoodmarker and Glasson Dockmarker near Lancastermarker.

Stocks were added to the square in 1351 as a punitive measure. Wrongdoers were locked in the stocks and had rotten eggs and other food items thrown at them. Both the stocks and whipping post were used up until the 19th century. These historical features are now preserved in the Market Square.

In March, 1752, a fire swept through the west part of the village, burning buildings to the ground. These structures were later rebuilt after a national collection raised the funds. Poulton-le-Fylde remained a farming community centre for the area throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

In 1970, the nearly intact skeleton of an elk (nicknamed 'Harold') was discovered in the vicinity. The skeleton was dated at 12,000 years of age, and contained the remains of weapon tips embedded in the legs. This skeleton is evidence that human hunters dwelt here during that prehistoric period. The skeleton is now located in the Harris Museum in Prestonmarker.

The Wyremarker Borough Council was formed during a local reorganization in 1974, with Poulton-le-Fylde acting as the administrative centre.

Places of interest

The Thatched House 2006
  • St. Chad's Church - Located near the market square, this Georgian-style Parish church was built of red sandstone and dates back to 1094. In early spring the church yard provides a display of purple and yellow crocuses.
  • Railway Stationmarker - The railway station now has services to Blackpool Northmarker, Prestonmarker, Leedsmarker and Manchestermarker and stations in between. A station first opened in 1840, 400 yards northeast of the current station which replaced it in 1896. Formerly the station supported a branch line via Thorntonmarker to Fleetwoodmarker. Services were discontinued under Beeching, but the line was kept open for freight access to and from a works belonging to ICI. There was another station, Poulton Curve Haltmarker, for Fleetwoodmarker to Blackpoolmarker trains, between 1909 and 1952.
  • Market Square - The square is now closed to traffic and contains several features of historical note. There is an island in the centre with the old stocks, whipping post, fish slab, and market cross.
  • Pubs and clubs - Poulton is known for its many drinking establishments, restaurants and nightclubs. These include "The Golden Ball", the town's most notable public house, where victory over Napoleon at Waterloomarker was announced and "The Bull Inn" once one of Poulton's three Coaching inns. Other pubs include "The Thatched House", "The Bull", "The Grapevine", "The Edge" (formerly Lawdy Miss Clawdys, then Bedd), "The Cube" and "The Old Town Hall".


There are two nightclubs in Poulton — The Residence which once was owned by former television entertainer Keith Harris, and Club Monaco (formerly called The Hub, The Peppermint Lounge, and Ampersand), situated in the Teanlowe Centre.

Notable people from Poulton



Education

  • Breck Primary School, on Fouldry Avenue, holds around 500 children and about 20-30 teachers. It also has a new Breck Beanies nursery.
  • Baines High School and Baines Sixth Form was opened in 1717 by James Baines. The present headteacher is Roddy McCowan.
  • Hodgson School, Moorland Road. Over 1200 students. Renamed, as of September 2007, to 'Hodgson School', from the previous 'Hodgson High School Technology College'. The head teacher is now Mr Tony Nicholson, a former assistant Head at the school.
  • Carr Head Primary School, Carr Head Lane.
  • Poulton C.E. Primary School
  • St. John's Catholic Primary School, Breck Road.
  • Emmanuel Christian School. A small independent school with pupils from reception age up to year 11.


References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message