The Full Wiki

More info on Preston and Longridge Railway

Preston and Longridge Railway: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



The Preston and Longridge Railway (P&LR) was a branch line in Lancashiremarker, England. Originally designed to carry quarried stone in horse-drawn wagons, it became part of an ambitious plan to link the Lancashire coast to the heart of Yorkshiremarker. The plan failed, and the line closed to passengers in 1930 and to goods in 1967.

Early History

The Preston and Longridge Railway Company was set up in 1836 to build a tramway from the newly opened Tootle Heights Quarry in Longridgemarker to Prestonmarker. The 6½-mile (10½ km) single-track line was opened on 1 May 1840, with crude passenger facilities at , and in Prestonmarker.

Wagons were horse-drawn from Preston uphill to Longridge. Wagons ran by gravity in the opposite direction as far as Ribbletonmarker, which was then a village just outside Preston. Horses were used for the final two miles (3 km) to Deepdale. Longridge ashlar sandstone was widely used in the region, for example in the building of Lancastermarker Town Hall, Bolton Town Hall, Preston Railway Stationmarker and Liverpool Docks.

Development

In 1846, the Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway (FP&WRR) Company was set up. It had an ambitious plan to link Fleetwoodmarker on the Lancashire coast to Leedsmarker and Bradfordmarker in Yorkshiremarker. It would link the existing Preston and Wyre Joint Railway to the Longridge line in Preston, and build a new line from via Ribchestermarker, Hurst Greenmarker and Clitheroemarker to Skiptonmarker, where it would join the proposed Leeds and Bradford Extension Railway. The line would give Lancashire passengers access to the spa towns of Harrogatemarker and Knaresboroughmarker, and beauty spots such as Bolton Abbeymarker. Reciprocally, it would give Yorkshire passengers access to the seaside resorts of Fleetwoodmarker and Blackpoolmarker. Freight trains would carry cattle from Craven Valley, and stone from quarries near Clitheroe as well as from Longridge. Stonyhurst Collegemarker would be within a mile of the line and would be able to use it to bring in supplies as well as pupils.

The P&LR was duly leased to the FP&WRR. The line was adapted for steam and the first steam-hauled train ran on Whit Monday 1848.

In 1850, a double-track extension was built connecting to the existing line a few hundred yards east of the terminus. The line passed via the Miley Tunnel under the north part of Preston and connected to the Preston and Wyre Joint Railway very close to that line’s original terminus at . The extension was initially used for goods only.

The first work on the Grimsargh to Skipton line was the excavation of a short cutting (which still exists) south of Hurst Green (at ), but then the project was abandoned. In 1852, the FP&WRR Company collapsed. The Preston and Longridge Railway acquired the engines and rolling stock of the collapsed company in lieu of owed rental fees.

However, in 1856 a reformed Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway Company purchased the line. The line through Miley Tunnel was opened to passengers, with new stations at each end, at on Deepdale Road and at . The original terminus was closed to passengers but continued to be used for goods.

By 1866, the plan to extend the line to Yorkshire had been revived. Fearing that the rival Midland Railway would buy the line to gain access to Preston, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (L&YR) bought the line instead. From the following year, the line was owned jointly by the L&YR and the London and North Western Railway (LNWR).

In 1885, Maudland Bridge Station was closed and passenger trains ran on to the adjacent LNWR main line to Preston Stationmarker, allowing connections to other railway lines for the first time.

Whittingham Hospital branch

In June 1889, a private branch line was opened northwards from to Whittinghammarker Asylum two miles (3 km) away. As well as supplies, hospital staff and visitors were carried free of charge in converted goods brake vans. Trains (as many as twelve per day) were timed to connect with passenger trains at Grimsargh.

The locomotives used on the hospital branch were industrial types with the exception of the ex-London, Brighton and South Coast Railway no. 357, Riddlesdown, which was purchased in February 1948 from British Railways for £745.

The hospital line continued to operate long after the main branch closed to passengers in 1930. The hospital trains were now timed to connect with bus services at Grimsargh. The line eventually closed on 29 June 1957.

Decline

In 1918 there was another plan to extend the railway from Longridge to Yorkshire along the Loudmarker and Hoddermarker valleys to Whitewell, Tosside, Wigglesworthmarker and Hellifieldmarker, but the plan was never implemented. This plan was revived once more in 1924 in connection with the Stocks Reservoirmarker scheme and a Light Railway Order was confirmed on 19 March, however no further action was taken.

By 1930 the popularity of bus travel caused the line to close to passengers. The line to Longridge remained open to goods traffic until November 1967.

Goods traffic continued to use part of the line as far as the Courtaulds factory at Red Scar, until the last train worked by class 25 diesel, number 25 142 on Friday 8 February 1980. The Gamull Lane bridge over the line at was subsequently removed. All that now remained of the whole line was a Y-shaped link between the West Coast Main Linemarker and coal yards at the site of the original Deepdale Street terminus. This, too, was closed in the 1990s, although the tracks for this section were never taken up.

Remains

The track through Miley Tunnel, though rusty and overgrown, still exists.

The line’s route in Preston between Blackpool Road and Red Scar is now a cycle path and footpath. It is planned to extend the path to Grimsargh.

In Longridge, a portal to a blocked-off tunnel under Higher Road that led to Tootle Heights Quarry is a Grade II listed building. The station buildings at and still survive.

In 2003, the Preston City Link Canal Trust was formed with a plan to reopen part of the Lancaster Canalmarker to a new marina to be constructed in the vicinity of the former Maudland Bridge railway stationmarker. One option being considered is to reopen the Longridge line as far as Deepdale or Ribbleton, the line passing by viaduct over the new marina.

Notes



References

  • Aubertin, C. (2006) "Solving a Victorian Problem", Steam World, 232 (October), p.26-31
  • Biddle, G. (1989) The Railways Around Preston — A Historical Review, Scenes from the Past: No. 6, Foxline Publishing, ISBN 1-87011-905-3
  • Bowtell, H.D. (1988) Lesser Railways of Bowland Forest and Craven Country - and the dam builders in the age of steam, Platewell Press, ISBN 0-9511108-8-8
  • Gilbert, A.C. and Knight, N.R. (1975) Railways around Lancashire, Manchester Transport Museum Society, ISBN 0-900857-09-9
  • Greville, M.D. and Holt, G.O. (1960) "Railway Development in Preston", Railway Magazine, vol. 106, in three parts : , Feb. no. 706, p 94-112; , Mar. no. 707, p. 197-204; , Apr. no. 708, p. 274-277
  • Hilbert, M. (1998) "Coal To Deepdale No More", Traction magazine 42, April 1998.
  • Hunt, D. (2003) The Wharncliffe Companion to Preston — An A to Z of Local History, Wharncliffe Books, Barnsley, ISBN 1-903425-79-4.
  • Mitchell, L., Hopkins, B. and Newman, C. , Lancashire County Council and Egerton Lea Consultancy, July 2006, accessed 15 June 2007.
  • Parker, N. (1972) The Preston and Longridge Railway, Oakwood Library of Railway History No. 30, Lingfield: Oakwood Press
  • Pattinson, M. (Ed.) (1999) Longridge — The Way we Were, Hudson History of Settle, ISBN 0-9533643-4-8
  • Potter, T. (1993) Reflections on Preston, Wilmslow: Sigma Leisure, ISBN 1-85058-387-0
  • Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, Countryside Books, Newbury, ISBN 1 85306 801 2
  • Till, J.M. (1993) A History of Longridge and its People, Carnegie Publishing, Preston, ISBN 0-947789-92-1 (paperback) (also available in hardback: ISBN 0-947789-86-7)
  • Welch, M.S. (2004) Lancashire Steam Finale, Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham, ISBN 1 870754 61 1


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message