Pulaski Bridge in New York City connects Long
Island City in Queens to Greenpoint in Brooklyn over
Newtown Creek. It was named after
Polish military commander and American Revolutionary War
fighter Kazimierz Pułaski
(Casimir Pulaski) because of the large Polish-American population
It connects 11th Street in Queens to
McGuinness Boulevard (formerly Oakland Street) in Brooklyn.
The Pulaski Bridge opened to traffic on September 10, 1954. It
served as a replacement for the nearby Vernon Avenue Bridge, which
had linked Vernon Avenue in Long Island City with Manhattan Avenue
Designed by Frederick Zurmuhlen, the Pulaski Bridge is a bascule bridge
, a type of drawbridge
. It carries six lanes of traffic and a
pedestrian sidewalk over the water, Long Island Rail Road tracks, and the
entrance to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel. The pedestrian sidewalk is on the west or
downstream side of the bridge, which has good views of the
industrial areas surrounding Newtown
Creek, the skyline of Manhattan, and of a number of other bridges, including the
Bridge, the Queensboro Bridge, and the Kosciuszko Bridge.
was reconstructed between 1991 and 1994.
From 1979 until 1990, a message reading "Wheels Over Indian Trails"
was painted on the Pulaski Bridge over the approach to the
Queens-Midtown Tunnel. The artwork was created by John Fekner as a tribute to the thirteen Native
American tribes who inhabited Long Island.
13.1 miles from the start of the New York City Marathon at the
Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, the Pulaski Bridge serves as the halfway point in