The Full Wiki

More info on RAF North Luffenham

RAF North Luffenham: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

RAF North Luffenham was a Royal Air Force station in Rutlandmarker, Englandmarker, 1940 - 1998. It is near to the villages of Edith Westonmarker and North Luffenhammarker.

The station was built as a training airfield, opening in 1940. It was later taken over by 5 Group of RAF Bomber Command as a heavy bomber base, and was expanded by the building of concrete runways later in the war. In 1951, the station was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force to become the temporary home of 1 Fighter Wing, the first Canadianmarker NATOmarker base in Europe. 1 Wing moved to Marville, Francemarker in 1955.

From 1959 to 1963, North Luffenham was home to PGM-17 Thor intermediate range ballistic missiles.

In mid-1964 No.3 Ground Radio Servicing Squadron was transferred from RAF Norton, Sheffield, Yorkshire. No. 3GRSS was responsible for the third-line maintenance repair of all ground radar and radio communication/navigational and landing aids located at airfields throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A unit of the RAF School of Aviation Medicine was also established in early 1960s - a very large then state-of-the-art decompression chamber was installed at this facility for aircrew experimentation and research purposes.

From 1965 to 1997 the Joint Services Language School was based here. Russian-language graduates of the school were employed at radio monitoring stations located close to the USSR border in order to monitor Russian air-to-ground radio voice traffic during airborne interception/ border incursion etc. A plaque to commemorate the Language School was unveiled in 2005 by Air Commodore Bruce Benstead, the last Station Commander at RAF North Luffenham. Recruits from RAF Swinderby competed their fieldcraft training at this base in the 80s and early 90s.

The station was taken over by the British Army and renamed St George's Barracks. As an army base it has been home to battalions of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and the King's Own Royal Border Regiment, (later 3rd Battalion, the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment). In August 2007, 16th Regiment Royal Artillery relocated here from the Royal Artillery Barracksmarker, Woolwichmarker.

When the RAF vacated the base, the pair of gates from the main entrance was donated to the village of North Luffenham. The gates were later erected at the entrance to the village recreation ground.

References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message