The Full Wiki

More info on Rancho Buri Buri

Rancho Buri Buri: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Rancho Buri Buri (also called Sánchez Rancho) was a Mexican land grant in present day San Mateo County, Californiamarker given in 1835 by Governor José Castro to José Antonio Sánchez. The name derives the Buriburi tribe of the Ohlone who were settled by the banks of San Bruno Creekmarker. Rancho Buri Buri extended between the north line of South San Francisco and the middle of Burlingame, and from the San Francisco Bay to the top of the Peninsula ridge and included present day Lomita Parkmarker, Millbraemarker, South San Franciscomarker, San Brunomarker, and the northern part of Burlingamemarker.

History

Rancho Buri Buri, which was first established as grazing land for Mission Doloresmarker and the Presidio of San Franciscomarker. In 1827, Sub lieutenant José Antonio Sánchez, who was stationed at the Presidio, was granted permission by Mexican governor José María de Echeandía to occupy the rancho for “grazing and agricultural purposes”. The land grant was confirmed in 1835, by Governor Castro. Sánchez worked the land from the time it was granted to him until his death in 1843. Upon his death, the rancho lands were divided between his 10 children. A claim was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1852 and the grant was patented to José de la Cruz Sánchez and siblings in 1872.

The heirs to Rancho Buri Buri were forced to sell their land to pay for the high cost of property taxes, legal fees, and loans. The new owners of Rancho Buri Buri included Darius Ogden Mills, Ansel I. Easton and Charles Lux. Mills bought José de la Cruz Sánchez's one-tenth of his father's estate ( ), which is now Millbrae. Later, Mills and his brother-in-law, Ansel Ives Easton, acquired almost all of the land between Millbrae and San Bruno, west from El Camino Real, including the land on which San Francisco International Airportmarker (originally Mills Field) presently stands. Charles Lux and a business partner, Alfred Edmondson purchased of Rancho Buri Buri in 1853. Lux bought out Edmonson’s interest in 1856, and founded the town of Baden (northwest of modern-day South San Francisco). In 1855 Charles Lux bought of Rancho Buri Buri land and became a partner of fellow San Francisco butcher and entrepreneur Henry Miller, forming the firm of Miller and Lux, Pacific Coast land barons and cattle kings. It was on this property that Charles Lux built his family country home. Through his heirs, the Lux Ranch was sold to Peter E. Iler of Omaha, Nebraskamarker and became the site of the industrial city of South San Francisco.

References

  1. Diseño del Rancho Buri Buri
  2. Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886
  3. United States. District Court (California : Northern District) Land Case 101 ND
  4. Frank M. Stanger, 1963, South From San Francisco-The Life Story of San Mateo County, The San Mateo County Historical Association, San Mateo,CA



Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message