Rancho Carne Humana was a
Mexican land grant in present
day Napa County,
California given in 1841 by Governor Juan Alvarado to Edward Turner Bale.
The name means
"human flesh" in Spanish. There is speculation as to why the name
was chosen. The grant was originally called "Huilic Noma" and also
"Colijolmanoc". Rancho Carne Humana was at the northern end
of the Napa Valley, stretching from present-day Rutherford northward to Calistoga, ending at Tubbs Lane and including present-day
Turner Bale (1810-1849) an English physician, landed at Monterey in 1837, and practiced medicine there for five or
In 1840–43 he was surgeon of the California
forces by General Mariano
's appointment. He married Maria Ygnacia Soberanes, the
niece of both General Mariano Vallejo and Mariano's brother,
. Through General
Vallejo's influence, Bale obtained a four league grant of Rancho
Carne Humana in Napa Valley, north of George C. Yount's
Caymus in 1841.
Bale and his family moved to the rancho in 1843. Bale established a
grist mill to grind corn and wheat. In 1846 he built a saw-mill. In
1848, Bale joined the California
, but became ill and died at the age of 38, leaving a
widow, two sons and four daughters. A claim was filed with the
Public Land Commission
1852 and the grant was patented to Maria Ygnacia Bale and the heirs
of Edward T. Bale in 1879.
Bale had often used land in payment for services rendered him. His
family was financially pressed after his death. His widow Maria
Ygnacia Bale was left with managing the estate and battled the
courts for decades to hang on to what was left of Bale's original
land grant. To his sons he left his cattle, since cattle at the
time were of greater value, and to his daughters he left tracts of
land to act as their dowries. Upon one such tract of land just
north of St. Helena, their daughter Caroline Bale and her husband
Historic sites of the Rancho
- Bale Grist
Mill. The grist mill was erected by Edward T.
Bale in 1846.
- Charles Krug Winery. Founded in 1861 by Charles Krug
(1825-1892), this is the oldest operating winery in Napa Valley.
Krug made the first commercial wine in Napa County in 1858.
- York's Cabin. John T. York , the first American to settle in
the area that became Calistoga, constructed this log cabin in
- Hudson Cabin. David Hudson was one of the early pioneers who
helped develop the upper portion of Napa Valley by purchasing land,
clearing it, and planting crops and building homes. Hudson built
his cabin in 1845.
- Sam Brannan Cottage. Between 1859 and 1863, Samuel Brannan (1819-1889 acquired more than
at the north end of Napa Valley with the dream of making it the
Saratoga of California. This is the only 1866 cottage
- Sam Brannan Store. The store Sam Brannan built in
- Kelsey House. Nancy Kelsey arrived in California in 1841 with
the Bartleson-Bidwell Party
and settled with her family south of present-day Calistoga.
- Napa Valley Railroad depot. The Napa Valley Railroad depot was
built in 1868. Railroad brought people to Brannan's Calistoga
- Diseño del Rancho Carne Humana
- Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886
- United States. District Court (California :
Northern District) Land Case 47 ND
- Bale Grist Mill (NO. 359)
- Charles Krug Winery (NO. 563)
- York's Cabin (NO. 682)
- Hudson Cabin (NO. 683)
- Sam Brannan Cottage (NO. 685)
- Sam Brannan Store (NO. 684)
- Kelsey House (NO. 686)
- Napa Valley Railroad depot (NO. 687)