Rancho El Sur was a Mexican land grant in present day
California given in 1834 by Governor José Figueroa to Juan Alvarado.
The grant extended
between the Little Sur River
what is now called Cooper Point.
Juan Bautista Alvarado (1809–1882) was granted the two square
leagues in 1834. In 1840, Alvarado traded his Rancho El Sur to
John B.R. Cooper in exchange for Rancho Bolsa del
Potrero y Moro Cojo.
Captain John Bautista Rogers Cooper
(1791–1872) had married General Vallejo
Encarnacion in 1827. Alvarado was the nephew of Encarnacion
A claim was filed with the Public
in 1852 and the grant was patented to John B.
R. Cooper in 1866.
Cooper's daughter Amelia, married Eusebio Joseph Molera in 1875.
Frances M. Molera (1879-1968), daughter of Eusebio and
Amelia Molera, donated the land as Andrew Molera
State Park, named in honor of her brother Andrew M.
Molera (d. 1931).
Historic sites of the Rancho
- Cooper Cabin. Built in 1861 on the Cooper ranch.