Raszyn is a village in Pruszków County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland. It is the seat of the
gmina (administrative district) called
Raszyn. It lies approximately east of Pruszków and south-west of Warsaw.
- For the village in west Poland, see
Voivodeship. For the neighbourhood of Poznań,
village has a population of 6,700.
Raszyn has been the site of two battles. On April 19, 1809, the
inconclusive Battle of
took place between the Polish forces under Prince
Austrian army under Archduke
In 1931 a longwave broadcasting transmitter
was set up
in Raszyn. Back then it was the strongest such facility in Europe,
with roughly 120 kW
of power. During the World War II
the radio mast was destroyed, but
was rebuilt in 1945 with roughly 500 kW of power. In 1949 a new
aerial mast was built there. At 335 metres high, it was until 1962
the tallest structure in Europe. Until the inauguration of the transmitter
in Konstantynów in 1974 it served as the central longwave radio
facility of the Polish Radio.
Until 1978 it served as spare transmitter for Konstantynów. Since
1978 the facility in Raszyn is used at daytime for transmissions of
the second programme of the Polish Radio in the longwave
After the collapse of the Konstantynów radio mast in 1991, the
transmitter in Raszyn yet again became the main broadcasting
transmitter in Poland. After completion of the new longwave
transmitter in Solec
Kujawski in 1999, it
serves the role of a daytime transmitter on 198 kHz and at
nighttime on 225 kHz.
itself currently functions as a suburb of Warsaw, with many
villas and shops located there.
has roughly 20,000 inhabitants and is
one of the fastest-developing suburbs of the Polish capital.
Among the notable tourist attractions of the area is a baroque
from 1645. In 1790 it was refurbished by renowned Polish architect
Szymon Bogumił Zug
. He also
built an inn in the town. Also, in 1978 the Stawy
reserve was established for protection of large
ponds and the natural habitat
roughly 100 species of birds
. The protected
area covers 1.1 km².