The Full Wiki

Red Square: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Red Square ( , Krásnaya plóshchad’) is the most famous city square in Moscowmarker, and arguably one of the most famous in the world. The square separates the Kremlinmarker, the former royal citadel and currently the official residence of the President of Russia, from a historic merchant quarter known as Kitai-gorodmarker. As major streets of Moscow radiate from here in all directions, being promoted to major highways outside the city, Red Square is often considered the central square of Moscow and of all Russiamarker.

Origin and name

The rich history of Red Square is reflected in many artworks, including paintings by Vasily Surikov, Konstantin Yuon and others. The square was meant to serve as Moscowmarker's main marketplace. It was also used for various public ceremonies and proclamations, and occasionally as the site of coronation for Russia's czars. The square has been gradually built up since that point and has been used for official ceremonies by all Russian governments since it was established.

The name Red Square derives neither from the colour of the bricks around it (which, in fact, were whitewashed at certain points in history) nor from the link between the colour red and communism. Rather, the name came about because the Russian word красная (krasnaya) can mean either "red" or "beautiful" (the latter being archaic). This word, with the meaning "beautiful", was originally applied to Saint Basil's Cathedralmarker and was subsequently transferred to the nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current name (replacing the older Pozhar, or "burnt-out place") in the 17th century. Several ancient Russian towns, such as Suzdalmarker, Yeletsmarker, and Pereslavl-Zalesskymarker, have their main square named Krasnaya ploshchad, namesake of Moscow's Red Square.

History before the 18th century

Procession on a donkey
Voskresensky (Resurrection) Gate
The east side of the Kremlin triangle, lying adjacent to Red Square and situated between the rivers Moskva and the now-underground Neglinnaya River was deemed the most vulnerable side of the Kremlin to attack, since it was neither protected by the rivers, nor any other natural barriers, as the other sides were. Therefore, the Kremlin wall was built to its highest height on this side, and furthermore, the Italian architects involved in the building of these fortifications convinced Ivan the Great to clear the area outside of the walls in order to create a field of fire for shooting. The relevant decrees were issued in 1493 and 1495. They called for the demolition of all the buildings within 110 sazhens (234 metres) of the wall.

In 1508-1516, the Italian architect Aleviz Fryazin arranged for the construction of a moat in front of the eastern wall, which would connect the Moskva and Neglinnaya and be filled in with water from Neglinnaya. This moat, known as the Alevizov moat and having a length of 541 meters, width of 36 meters, and a depth of 9.5–13 m. was lined with limestone and, in 1533, fenced on both sides with low, 4-meter thick cogged brick walls. Three square gates existed on this side of the wall, which in the 17th century, were known as: Konstantino-Eleninsky, Spassky, Nikolsky (owing their names to the icons of Constantine and Helen, the Savior and St. Nicholas which hung over them). The last two are directly opposite the Red Square, while the Konstantino-Elenensky gate was located behind Saint Basil's Cathedral. In the early 19th century, the Arch of Konstantino-Elenensky gate was paved with bricks, but the Spassky Gate was the main front gate of the Kremlin and used for royal entrances. From this gate, wooden and (following the 17th century improvements) stone bridges stretched across the moat. Books were sold on this bridge and stone platforms were built nearby for guns - "raskats". The Tsar Cannonmarker was located on the platform of the Lobnoye mestomarker.

The square was called Veliky Torg (Great market) or simply Torg (Market), then Troitskaya by name a small Troitskaya (Trinity) Church, burnt down in the great fire during the Tatar invasion in 1571. After that, the square held the title Pozhar. It was not until 1661-62, when it was first mentioned as by its contemporary Krasnaya - "Red" name.

Red Square was the landing stage and trade center for Moscow. Ivan the Great decreed that trade should only be conducted from person to person, but in time, these rules were relaxed and permanent market buildings began appearing on the square. After a fire in 1547, Ivan the Terrible reorganized the lines of wooden shops on the eastern side into market lines. The streets Ilyinka and Varvarka were divided into the Upper lines (now GUM department storemarker), Middle lines and Bottom lines, although Bottom Lines were already in Zaryadye).

After a few years, the Cathedral of Intercession of the Virgin, commonly known as Saint Basil's Cathedralmarker, was built on the moat. This was the first building which gave the square its present-day characteristic silhouette (on the Kremlin towers but has not yet been built pyramidal roofs). In 1595, wooden market lines were replaced with stone. By that time, a brick platform for the proclamation of the tsar's edicts, known as Lobnoye Mestomarker had also has been constructed.

The Red Square was considered a sacred place. Various festive processions were held there, and during Palm Sunday the famous "procession on a donkey" was arranged, in which the patriarch, sitting on a donkey, accompanied by the tsar and the people went out of Saint Basil's Cathedral in the Kremlin.

During the expulsion of Poles from Moscow in 1612, Prince Dmitry Pozharsky entered the Kremlin through the square. In memory of this event, he built the Kazan Cathedralmarker - in honour of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, followed his army in a campaign.

Zemsky prikaz
At the same time (1624-1625) Spasskaya tower received contemporary tent roofs. This was done on the proposal and the draught of Englishman Christopher Galloway, who was summoned to the device to the new tower's clock (clock watch it there with the 1585) and suggested that to arrange over clock the tent roof. In the mid-century on the top of the tower was it is set up gilded double-headed eagle. After this, the square became known as Krasnaya - «beautiful».

In the late 17'th century the square was cleared of all wooden structures (1679-1680). Then all Kremlin towers received tent roofs, except Nikolskaya. One tent was erected, even on the wall above the Red Square (the so-called Tsarskaya Tower, intended, that the tsar could watch this space for the various ceremonies in the square). There were also are constructed tents roofs at Voskrerensky gatesmarker, arranged in the wall of Kitai-gorodmarker. These were the fortified gates at Voskresensky Bridge over the River Neglinnaya.

In 1697 and 1699, gates were built on both sides of Voskresensky ontwo large stone buildings: the Mint and Zemsky prikaz (department in charge of urban and police matters). Zemsky prikaz, then, was known as the Main Pharmacy (on-site new Historical Museummarker). In the building of Zemsky prikaz in 1755 was organised by first Russian University.marker At the same time in the Alevizov moat, where there was no water, a state Pharmacy's garden (where the growing of medicinal plants) was arranged.

18th century

Kazan Cathedral
In 1702, the first public theater in Russia was built near the Nikolsky gate; It stood until 1737, when it was destroyed in a fire.

In the 1730s, a new mint building, called the Gubernskoye pravlenie (Provincial Board), was built in front of the old one

During her reign, Catherine the Great decided to make improvements to the square. In 1786, second floors were the stone market lines. This line was built on the opposite side of the square - at moat between the Spasskaya and Nikolskaya towers. Then architect Matvey Kazakov built (in the old forms) the new Lobnoye mesto of hewn stone, slightly west of the place where it was before.

19th and early 20th century

Engraving of 1816
Minin-Pozharsky monument and market lines by Bove
In 1804, at the request of merchants, the square was paved in stone. In 1806 Nikolskaya Tower was reconstructed in the Gothic style, and has received a tent roof. The new phase of improvement of the square began after the Napoleonic invasion and fire in 1812. The moat was filled in 1813 and in its place, rows of trees were planted. Market Line along the moat, dilapidated after the fire, had been demolished, and on the eastern side Joseph Bové constructed new building of lines in Empire style. In 1818 the Monument to Minin and Pozharskymarker, was erected, symbolising the rise in patriotic consciousness during the war.

In 1874, the historic building of Zemsky prikaz was demolished. In its place was built the Imperial Historical Museum in pseudo-Russian style. After Bové's lines were demolished, new large buildings were erected between 1888-1893 in the pseudo-Russian style: Upper lines (GUM department storemarker) and Middle lines. The Upper lines was intended for retail sale and wer in fact the first department store in Moscow; Middle lines intended for the wholesale trade. At the same time (in 1892) the square was illuminated by electric lanterns. In 1909, a tram appeared on the square for the first time.

Recent history

Provincial Board

During the Sovietmarker era, Red Square maintained its significance, becoming a focal point for the new state. Besides being the official address of the Soviet government, it was renowned as a showcase for military parades. Kazan Cathedralmarker and Iverskaya Chapel with the Resurrection Gatesmarker were demolished to make room for heavy military vehicles driving through the square (both were later rebuilt after the fall of the Soviet Union). There were plans to demolish Moscow's most recognized building, Saint Basil's Cathedralmarker, as well. The legend is that Lazar Kaganovich, Stalin's associate and director of the Moscow reconstruction plan, prepared a special model of Red Square, in which the cathedral could be removed, and brought it to Stalin to show how the cathedral was an obstacle for parades and traffic. But when he jerked the cathedral out of the square, Stalin objected with his famous quote: "Lazar! Put it back!".

Two of the most significant military parades on Red Square were the one in 1941, when the city was besieged by Germans and troops were leaving Red Square straight to the front lines, and the Victory Parade in 1945, when the banners of defeated Nazi armies were thrown at the foot of Lenin's Mausoleummarker. The Soviet Unionmarker held very many parades in Red Square for May Day, Victory Day, and the October Revolution which consisted of propaganda, flags, a labor demonstration, and a troops march ans show-off of tanks and missles. On Victory Day in 1945, 1965, 1985, and 1990 there were military marches and parades as well.

On May 28, 1987, a German pilot named Mathias Rust landed a light aircraft on St Basil's descent next to Red Square.

In 1990, the Kremlin and Red Square were among the very first sites in the USSR added to UNESCO'smarker World Heritage List.

In recent years, Red Square has served as a venue for high-profile concerts. Shakira, Scorpions, Paul McCartney, t.A.T.u., Roger Waters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alyonka & Diana Larionov, and many other celebrities performed there. For the New Year 2006, 2007 and 2008 celebrations, a skating rink was set up on Red Square. Paul McCartney's performance there was a historic moment for many, as The Beatles were banned in the Soviet Union, preventing any live performances there of any of The Beatles; the Soviet Union also banned the sales of Beatles records, and this was the first time that a Beatle performed in Russia.

In January 2008, Russia announced that they would resume parading military vehicles through Red Square, although recent restoration of Iverski Gatemarker complicated this, by closing one of existing passages along Historical Museummarker for the heavy vehicles.

In May 2008, Russia held its annual Victory day parade, marking the 63rd anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany in the Second World War. For the first time since the collapse of the USSRmarker in 1991, Russian military vehicles paraded through the square.

On December 4, 2008, The KHL announced they would be holding their first ever all-star game outdoors on January 10 at the Red Square .


The buildings surrounding the Square are all significant in some respect. Lenin's Mausoleummarker, for example, contains the embalmed body of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, the founder of the Soviet Unionmarker. Nearby to the south is the elaborate brightly-domed Saint Basil's Cathedralmarker and the palaces and cathedrals of the Kremlinmarker.

On the eastern side of the square is the GUM department storemarker, and next to it the restored Kazan Cathedralmarker. The northern side is occupied by the State Historical Museummarker, whose outlines echo those of Kremlin towers. The Iberian Gate and Chapelmarker have been rebuilt to the northwest.

The only sculptured monument on the square is a bronze statue of Kuzma Minin and Dmitry Pozharskymarker, who helped to clear Moscow from the Polishmarker invaders in 1612, during the Times of Trouble. Nearby is the so-called Lobnoye Mestomarker, a circular platform where public ceremonies used to take place. Both the Minin and Pozharskiy statue and the Lobnoye Mesto were once located more centrally in Red Square but were moved to their current locations to facilitate the large military parades of the Soviet era. The square itself is around 330 meters (1100 ft) long and 70 meters (230 ft) wide. )


Image:Vasnecov Moskva Pri Ivane Groznom Krasnaya Ploscshad.jpg|In 16 century (reconstruction by Apollinary Vasnetsov)Image:Vasnetsov Krasnaya Plocshad 17 vek.jpg|In 17 century (reconstruction by Apollinary Vasnetsov)Image:Krasnaya Ploshad1760.jpg|In 1760s (by Friedrich Hilferding)Image:Krasnaya Plotshad-1795.jpg| In 1795 (by Gerard Delabart)Image:Alexeev KrPloschad.jpg|In 1802 (by Fedor Alekseev)Image:Rauh Moskva 1830-e.jpg|In 1830s (by Karl Rauh)Image:Announcement of the Coronation.JPG|In 1856 (Coronation of Alexander II). By Vasily TimmImage:Krasnaya Ploshad1850.jpg| In 1856Image:Krasnaya Ploshad-1900-N.jpg|in the early 20 centuryImage:Krasnaya Ploshad-19v.jpg|in the early 20 centuryFile:Krasnaya_Ploshad_tramvaj.jpg|Tram at Red SquareFile:Kustodiev Verbny torg u Spasskih vorot 1917.jpg| Palm market with Spassky Gate. By Boris Kustodiev, 1917File:Punainen tori.JPG|Saint Basil's Cathedral and Spasskaya Tower of Moscow Kremlin at Red Square in Moscow

See also

External links


  • Юрий Федосюк. Москва в кольце Садовых. М., Московский рабочий, 1991. ISBN 5-239-01139-7
  • П.В.Сытин. Из истории московских улиц (очерки). М.. Московский рабочий, 1958


Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address