The Full Wiki

More info on Reepham, Norfolk

Reepham, Norfolk: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Reepham is a small market town in the Englishmarker, county of Norfolk, England. Situated on the B1145 road between the Buremarker and Wensummarker valleys. The town is north west of Norwichmarker. As of the 2001 census the civil parish has a population of 2,455 residents and covers an area of .

History

The town is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and is listed as Refham meaning the bailiff's or reeve's manor from the Old English gerafa (bailiff) and ham (homestead). Reepham has had market town status since 1277; a sign to mark this has recently been erected. The town has undergone significant development throughout its life, with the housing in the area showing a mix of vintages, styles and purposes.

The town today

Recent housing developments have mostly been on brownfield land so have not significantly expanded the perimeter of the town.

The town has both a secondary school Reepham High Schoolmarker, which achieved the highest grade—Outstanding—in every category in its 2008 Ofsted inspection, and a primary school (containing over 300 pupils).

The Reepham Society is a registered charity, set up to stimulate public interest in Reepham, Hackford, Kerdiston, Sallemarker, and Whitwell in 1976.

The twin churches

Reepham has three churches on the same site and is one of only two places in Europe to do so. Reepham's church of St. Mary is joined by its choir vestry to St. Michael’s and the third church belonged to Hackford. However, this third church burned down in 1543 and now only a fragment of the tower wall remains on the left of the path as you go towards the market place.

The town sign

The town sign
The town sign was designed by the local high school and installed in 1992. It depicts three of each of the following elements: churches, villagers, farm labourers, sheep, lambs and "sisters" and is based on a myth that three sisters were each responsible for building a church. In fact, the three churches were built over several lifetimes.

Railway history

By 1882, the town had two stations. Both were located on different tracks and each one managed by a separate railway company.Whitwell stationmarker was on the M&GNs, Norwich City stationmarker to Melton Constable stationmarker branch line. Reepham stationmarker was situated on the GEN, Wroxham stationmarker to County School stationmarker line. In 1960, the tracks were joined by the construction of the Themelthorpe Curvemarker. The work was carried out by British Rail to facilitate the important movement of concrete products from Lenwademarker. Today, the railway trackbed form the Marriott's Waymarker long distance footpath. Both former stations are notable stops on the footpath.

Public transport

Bus

Sanders and Eastons Coaches provide bus services to and from the town.

Notable residents

Keith Simpson – Local Conservative MP for Mid Norfolk.

References

External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message