The Full Wiki

River Nene: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The River Nene is a river in the east of Englandmarker that rises from three sources in the county of Northamptonshiremarker. The tidal river forms the border between Cambridgeshire and Norfolk for about . It is the ninth longest river in England, and the twelfth longest in the United Kingdommarker. From the source at Arbury Hill to Northamptonmarker the river falls a total of in . For the remainder of its course, the Nene falls less than . It has a catchment area of and a mean flow of per second.


The river's most westerly source can be found near the village of Badbymarker near Daventrymarker. On the eastern slope of Arbury Hill and in pools between Arbury Hill and Sharmans Hill there are three tributaries that converge at Dodfordmarker mill to form the upper reaches of the Daventrymarker Nene. The two northern streams flow through the villages of Badbymarker and Newnhammarker to the convergence, whilst the southerly stream runs through Fawsley Park and through the village of Everdonmarker before the convergence. From Dodford the river passes through the village of Weedonmarker where it flows under the main west coast railway linemarker and also under the Grand Union Canalmarker. A little west of Weedon the river converges with its tributary source from Yelvertoftmarker from the north. This tributary, the Yelvertoft Nene, is formed from a great many streams. The river now flows towards Northampton, passing through Floremarker and Nether Heyfordmarker, where it is joined by small streams on either bank. A little past Bugbrookemarker Mill the Nene passes under the M1 motorway and falls over a weir towards Kislingburymarker.
M1 Motorway Viaduct over the River Nene

Another tributary merges from the south at Kislingbury. The Nene's course is closely followed by the Grand Union canal’s Northampton arm at Upton Mill. From Northampton Arm of the Grand Union Canalmarker the Nene is navigable to the Great Ousemarker.


At Upton Mill, another tributary, called Wooton Brookmarker, joins the river from the south.The River Nene now approaches Northampton town from the west, passing between the southern suburbs of St. James (locally known as Jimmy's End) and Far Cottonmarker. The Nene’s third northern source, the Nasebymarker Source or Brampton Nene, converges at the Carlsberg Brewery. This tributary flows through the north of Northampton where several streams join. Three of these streams supply water for reservoirs at Pitsfordmarker, Hollowellmarker and Ravensthorpemarker, north of Northampton, before joining the Brampton Nene. At Cotton End, the Nene passes under South Bridge, then through Beckett's Park and past the disused and now demolished Northampton Power Station in Midsummer Meadow.
Cole-Roper 1810 map of Northampton

The Nene Valley

From Northampton, the river flows along a broad valley, formed by the enormous amount of water released by the melting ice during the Ice Age, towards the east coast. The Nene now meanders through this wide, flat valley with flood plains, lakes, pools and mature gravel pits on either bank, a by-product of the large glacial deposits in the valley. At Great Billingmarker is Billing Aquadromemarker, a popular caravan and camping park with leisure facilities and a funfair, which is based around the river and various mature gravel pits. The park is popular with fishermen and water skiers alike. The river's landscape is now dominated by mature gravel pit lakes. Some gravel extraction still takes place along the valley's basin. At Cogenhoemarker the river passes through a watermill. Cogenhoe is pronounced 'cook-no' locally. The mill is the red brick building and the sluice can be seen beneath. The Mill House on the left is dated 1725. At Earls Bartonmarker the river again passes an area of mature gravel pit lakes and lock gates numbers 9 and 10. Further on the river passes through Doddington Lock No 11 and the nearby Hardwater Watermill. This watermill, mentioned in the Domesday Book, has ground wheat into flour for almost 1000 years. Thomas à Beckett, Archbishop of Canterbury, used the mill as a hiding place after escaping from Northampton Castlemarker in 1164 and fleeing down the Nene to be sheltered by the miller before fleeing to France. The watermill ceased grinding flour after the Second World War.


Victoria Mills and its jetty at Wellingborough
The river's course turns north easterly, passing the town of Wellingboroughmarker on its north bank and the village of Little Irchestermarker to the south. At Wellingborough the river passes through Victoria Mills. Founded in 1886 by the Whitworth family, they are still run by the firm today, producing fine flours for the bakery trade. In front of the mill there remains a jetty from the days when the river was used for transportation of goods to and from the mills. A little further on the river is joined from the north by the River Ise. On the opposite bank are the remains of the roman town of Irchestermarker. The river now passes under a viaduct that carries the Midland Main Line which links Londonmarker St. Pancras Internationalmarker to Sheffieldmarker Midland stationmarker in northern Englandmarker via Lutonmarker, Bedfordmarker, Ketteringmarker, Leicestermarker, Derbymarker, Nottinghammarker and Chesterfieldmarker.

Passing Irthlingboroughmarker on its north western bank, the Nene now flows past Nene Parkmarker, the home of Rushden and Diamonds Football Club. Further on the river is crossed by the disued track bed of the London & Birmingham Railway (L&BR) which was constructed in 1845. The river is now characterised by large curving meanders passing the villages of Little Addington Great Addingtonmarker and Denford.


The Nine Arched Bridge at Thrapston
At Denford the river divides into two channels, one of which is used for navigation. The channels approach the Town of Thrapstonmarker, passing under two adjacent viaducts. One carries the busy A14 trunk road; the other carries the disused railway track bed. Between the town of Thrapston and the village of Islip, the Nene is spanned by a low nine-arched bridge. Just north of Thrapston the river forms part of the 73 hectares of Titchmarsh Nature Reserve. The Reserve, designated in 1989, consists of two lakes, a woodland, river banks and areas of grass and scrub in which some ponds have been dug. The Reserve is operated by Northamptonshire County Councilmarker, with the approval of the Nature Conservancy Council. At Aldwinclemarker another tributary, called Harpers Brookmarker, joins the Nene from the north west. Harpers Brook flows between gravel pit lagoons before converging with the river.At , the Romans bridged the river with Ermine Streetmarker in the first century.


Having passed among the gentle hills of Northamptonshire it enters the rural part of the City of Peterboroughmarker, passing the Nene Valley Railwaymarker and through the Nene Valley Country Park. Half a mile upstream of the city centre is Woodston Wharf—the site of the old sea lock—originally the extent of the tidal River Nene until the Dog in a Doublet lock at Whittleseymarker was opened in 1937.

Continuing downstream leads to the impressive 'Embankment' area and after the cathedral city itself, the landscape changes to the Nene Washes in The Fensmarker and their vast, seemingly endless horizons passing through Benwickmarker. Beyond Flag Fenmarker the river flows through Wisbechmarker, then Sutton Bridgemarker in Lincolnshiremarker, and finally enters the North Seamarker at The Washmarker between two towers known as "the lighthouses"

The Nene links the Grand Union Canalmarker to the River Great Ousemarker, via the Middle Level system. Much of its route has been upgraded to a wide canal with locks at regular intervals. Some sections where the "canal" runs adjacent to the "river" are known as the "Nene Navigation".

Origins of the Name

Pronunciation of the river's name is a bone of contention in its locality, and changes as one moves downstream. Through Northamptonshire locals mostly refer to it as the (rhyming with "hen"), around Peterboroughmarker it changes to (rhyming with "mean"). The spelling was "Nenn" (as seen in Cole-Roper's 1810 engraving) or "Nyn" until the beginning of the 20th century, and the point at which the pronunciation changes has been moving further inland for many years; the current edition of the Imray "Map Of The River Nene" suggests that the cut-off point is Thrapstonmarker.

Whatever the spelling and pronunciation, it is suggested that the name originates from the nine springs that once fed the head of the river. It is more plausible, however, that the name comes from a Celtic word meaning 'bright one'. Many rivers' names retained their pre-Roman names, such as the River Ouse and River Avon.

The river gave its name to the former Nene College of Higher Education in Northamptonmarker, now the University of Northampton.

The river also gave its name to the Rolls-Royce Nene turbojet engine, Rolls-Royce practice being to name their gas turbine designs after British rivers. This may also be linked to the fact that Sir Henry Royce was born in Alwaltonmarker, a village which is by the river Nene near Peterborough.


The Nene is navigable from just above its junction with the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union Canal to the sea. Most leisure use is between Northampton and Peterborough, where it makes a junction with the Middle Level Navigations at Stanground Sluice, which give access to the Bedfordshire River Ouse. There is no longer any significant commercial traffic.

Above Peterborough

The first recorded attempts to improve the upper river for navigation occurred in 1567 and 1606, when the people of Northampton commissioned surveys. In 1653, a printed pamphlet suggested that 33 locks to bypass the mills could be built for £8,000, to make the river navigable. Eventually, an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1713, which appointed large numbers of Commissioners, but stated that work could only proceed if any nine of them could find someone to make the entire river navigable. No-one was prepared to take on the task, although it appears from the Act that the river was navigable from Peterborough to Alwalton at the time. The Act was superseded by a second one obtained in 1724, which allowed the river to be improved in stages, the work to be carried out at the contractor's expense, with the cost to be recouped from tolls. Robert Wright and Thomas Squire agreed to these terms for the section from Peterborough to the bridge at Oundle North in September 1726, and completed the work by 1730. Squire then agreed to the same terms for the next section to Thrapston in 1736, and completed it by late 1737. This part of the river was then designated as the Eastern Division.

A failure to find anyone prepared to work on the Western Division from Thrapston to Northampton resulted in a third Act being obtained in 1756, which allowed the Commissioners to borrow money to finance the work. Lenders would become Proprietors of the Navigation, and the work was to begin at Thrapston and extend the navigable section towards Northampton. It took the Commissioners two years to agree who should carry out the work, but on 22 June 1758, John Smith jnr from Attercliffe, Yorkshire was contracted to construct 20 pound locks, 20 horse haling bridges and various other works at a cost of £14,070. The river opened to navigation in stages over the next three years, with a great celebration being held at Northampton on 7 August 1761 when the work was completed.

The proprietors had the right to use tolls as they saw fit, and the Commissioners found that they had no powers to ensure the navigation was maintained in good order. They obtained another Act of Parliament in 1794, which aimed to rectify the situation, but it was not until 1801 that Thomas Wright replied to their requests, and some repairs were made. There was little traffic and income from tolls was low, at just £488 per year between 1801 and 1804. The Commissioners were also keen to see a link constructed from Northampton to the Grand Junction Canalmarker, but the canal company argued that there was an insufficient supply of water. It was agreed that a link would be built in two halves, but that there would be of railway in the middle. When built, the canal company constructed the entire link as a railway, which opened in 1805. In a bid to get a navigable link, the Commissioners opposed the bill to build a link between the Grand Junction Canal and the Old Union Canal, but relented when they had a firm agreement that a navigable link to Northampton would be built. The link cost £35,000, was supervised by Benjamin Bevan, and was built between 1812 and 1815. It was nearly long, and dropped through 17 locks.

Tolls rose to a little over £1,000 per year, but the Commissioners decided that the canal boats damaged the locks, and all traffic had to be transferred to river barges. This order was withdrawn in 1827, but the condition of the river gradually deteriorated, and the arrival of the Blisworth to Peterborough Railway in 1845 further reduced profitability. Flooding was also a problem, but the Commissioners had no powers to act as Commissioners of Sewers, to address the problems of drainage. With serious flooding in December 1848, a public meeting was held, and a committee was elected to consider Nene drainage. The main problem was a restriction at Wisbech, and the engineer James Rendel estimated that £120,000 was required to reconstruct the river below Peterborough. The Nene Valley Drainage and Improvement Act was obtained in 1852, to allow this work to be completed.

Below Peterborough

Below Peterborough, the river meandered to Tydd Gote, where it shared an outfall to the Wash with the River Great Ousemarker. Once the latter was diverted to King's Lynnmarker in 1236, the Nene outfall deteriorated. Navigation was improved in the 1470s when Morton's Leam, a straight channel between Peterborough and Wisbech, was constructed by Bishop Morton. It was improved in 1570 and 1631, and was largely superseded by Smith's Leam, a straight cut from Peterborough to Guyhirne made by the Bedford Level Corporation in 1728. In order to improve the mouth of the river, which followed a tortuous route through salt marshes, the construction of a new channel was proposed by Nathaniel Kinderley, and work started on it in 1721. It was nearly completed when Wisbech Corporation's support turned to opposition, and they destroyed the work. The cut was eventually completed in 1773, but was not long enough to be a complete success.

Various proposals for improvements near Wisbech were made, notably in 1814 by John Rennie and again in 1821 by Thomas Telford, but all were opposed by Wisbech Corporation. An Act of Parliament was obtained in 1827 to enable the works and Wisbech contributed £30,000 to the project. The contractors for the new cut below Wisbech were Jolliffe and Banks, who charged £149,259 for the channel. Once the old channel was dammed up, the tidal scour in the new channel was sufficient to remove silt deposits, and large volumes of stone were needed to stabilise the banks. The effects on the port of Wisbech were immediate, with tonnage rising from 63,180 tons in 1830 to 159,678 tons in 1845.

The 1852 Drainage and Improvement Act gave the Commissioners wide powers to manage the river, but created an administrative structure that was too complex to be workable. With the river in a poor state, James Rendel was appointed as engineer, and began dredging the channel and raising the banks, which cost £124,000. Another Act of Parliament was obtained in 1854, to allow the Commissioners to borrow £325,000 to pay for the work. A new iron swing bridge was built in Wisbech, to replace a narrow stone bridge which restricted the flow of the river, and although it was tested on installation, it was not operated subsequently. Dams across the river were built at Waldersea and Guyhirne, and an underwater weir was constructed below the bridge at Wisbech. Wisbech Corporation took the Commissioners to court in 1859 for obstructing the river, and when an initial judgement was made in their favour, gangs of men destroyed most of the Waldersea dam overnight. An appeal to the Court of Chancery by the Commissioners also failed, and the dams were removed, as was the Wisbech weir, after an accident involving a train of lighters.

Navigation was always hampered by the Northey Gravel shoal near Dog-in-a-Doublet. Together with a sluice, this prevented salt water from entering the Thorney River, and the Duke of Bedford had obtained an injunction in 1865 to prevent interference with it. An appeal to have the injunction removed in 1880 failed. A dock covering was built at Sutton Bridge at this time, but the outer wall collapsed on 9 June 1881, a few days before it was officially opened, and the estimated repair costs of £160,000 resulted in the project failing. Sporadic traffic managed to use the river, but its condition continued to deteriorate.


By the time the Nene Catchment Board took control of the river, as a result of the passing of the Land Drainage Act (1930), the river was "in unparalleled decay and dilapidation" They rebuilt all of the locks, and replaced the remaining staunches with locks. A new lock and sluice were built at Dog-in-a-Doublet, to prevent salt water passing up the river, and to maintain water levels to Peterborough. The Thorney River was closed for navigation, arrangements were made for the supply of fresh water to the Thorney Estate, and the Northey Gravel shoal was blown up with dynamite. The banks of the river at Wisbech were protected with piling for a distance of , and a new quay was built. The benefits of the new works were proved in the floods of 1947, when land bordering the Nene was not inundated.

The new locks resulted in some commercial traffic returning to the river. The port of Wisbech can handle ships up to long and with a draught of , and remains a commercial port in 2009. It also caters for smaller boats, with a major expansion of the facilities at the yacht harbour completed in May 2000.


There are canal locks at fairly regular intervals which will accommodate boats up to 14 feet wide and 72 feet long, although most of the boats on the river are canal-type narrowboats and river cruisers. All but a handful of the locks have conventional mitre gates at the upstream end and a single vertically lifting guillotine gate at the downstream end. This arrangement permits the use of the locks as additional weirs in time of flood, when the mitre gates are chained open and the guillotines lifted to allow the water to flow straight through. This precludes navigation at these times.

Traditionally the guillotines were manually operated by turning a large wheel some 150 times to raise or lower the gate; since the locks have to be left empty this operation will always have to be done twice to pass through. In recent years the navigation authority (the Environment Agency) have been installing electric operation of the guillotines and in some cases replacing them altogether with mitre gates.

Easter 1998 Floods

In April 1998, days of constant, torrential rain caused flooding across large parts of the English Midlandsmarker. On Good Friday, 10 April 1998, the floods peaked and many rivers burst their banks. The Nene was badly affected, flooding low-lying parts of Northampton, Wellingborough and the surrounding villages. The town centre of Northampton lies on the northern slope of the Nene Valley and escapes the river's flooding. However, the Far Cotton and St. James areas of the town occupy the flood plain and have borne the brunt of severe flooding over the years, culminating in the 1998 Easter floods. In 2002, a siren warning system was installed in Northampton to warn residents in the event of further flooding, and embankments and flood walls were bolstered to protect the town. In Kislingbury village, a flood alleviation scheme was completed in 2004.

In 2007, the British Government announced it would spend £6 million on flood defences at Upton Mill in the west of Northampton; wetland areas and embankments are to be constructed along the river.

See also


External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address