The Full Wiki

Robroyston: Map

Advertisements
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

The countryside surrounding Robroyston
A view of the countryside around Robroyston, in Autumn


Robroyston (Bhaile na Raibert Ruadh in Gaelic) is a northeastern suburb of the city of Glasgowmarker, Scotlandmarker. It was where Scottishmarker leader William Wallace was turned over to Englishmarker soldiers in 1305. At the site of Wallace's capture there stands a monument — there have also been proposals put forward for a Visitors Centre in the area, at the site of the monument. On the monument there is a plaque in Latin

'Dico tibi verum, libertas optimum rerum, nunquam servili sub nexu, vivito fili', which translates to 'I tell you the truth, the best of all things is freedom, never son, live under the bonds of slavery'. Taught to William Wallace in his boyhood.

About 200 yards from the monument, 'Wallace's Well' is located on the country road.

Robroyston Hospital was built as a municipal smallpox and tuberculosis hospital and opened in 1918. It was temporarily used as a military hospital in 1918-19. By 1925 450 beds at Robroyston were devoted to tuberculosis patients, almost half of Glasgow's total complement. In 1945 a maternity unit was added. In 1948 Robroyston joined the National Health Service under the Board of Management for Glasgow Northern Hospitals. In 1974 it was placed in the Northern District of the Greater Glasgowmarker Health Board. It closed in 1977.

Robroyston House, which stood on the routeway to Kirkintillochmarker, was demolished in the 1960s.

Throughout the 1990s there were massive housing developments in this part of the Urban/rural fringe of Glasgow that drastically increased the population of the suburb to some 8300 people. As a result of the boom in population, the area became chronically deficient in infrastructure and provision of many local services, although this problem has been lessened somewhat by the construction of Asda and Aldi superstores. A newly openedprimary school with community access out of hours is nearby and a Church of Scotlandmarker has been established in the Glendale Estate at Saughs Drive. The development of the Nova Technology Park [125714] also looks to boost the local economy and jobs market. However, the area remains dependent on nearby Bishopbriggsmarker for most vital services; including churches, schools, and recreational facilities. As a result there have been calls for the area to be formally incorporated within Bishopbriggs and transferred from the City of Glasgowmarker to the control of East Dunbartonshire Council [125715].

Robroyston's proximity to the M80 motorway permits easy access to Glasgow city centre as well as direct commuter routes to Falkirkmarker, North Lanarkshire and Stirlingmarker. Development is continuing at Robroyston and demand is expected to be high for new properties at the Stewart Milne Campsie Meadows development , Cala Homes Wallacefield and Dickie homes @ Robroyston estate which are situated next to the original Robroyston development near the site of the Wallace Memorial.

In August 2007, the new Wallacewell Retail Park opened for business - at the moment, Homebase, an Acorn Pet Store, a Bed Centre and a Currys electrical goods store are the only occupied units.

Public Transport services in the area have improved over time, with a frequent bus service being provided to the City Centre / West End of Glasgow.

Robroyston Community Council have set up a website for residents and interested parties.

Bibliography

  • Old Glasgow and It's Suburbs in their Celtic Gard: Also Parish of Baldernock - Kirkintilloch to Stirling - Robroyston by Neil Thomson with 80 pages.


Footnotes


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message