Rosendale is a town in Ulster County, New
The population was 6,352 at the 2000
The Town of Rosendale
once had an incorporated
village with the same name, until voters dissolved the
incorporation. The town is centrally located in the county.
Rosendale NY from Train
Trestle Overlooking the Town
The region was first settled by Europeans around 1685.The Town of Rosendale
was formed in 1844 from parts of the Towns of Hurley, Marbletown, and New Paltz.
According to the History of Rosendale, NY, by Hamilton Child,
Syracuse, NY 1871:
ROSENDALE was formed from Marbletown, New Paltz and Hurley, April
26, 1844. It is an interior town, lying east of the center of the
County. The surface is a rolling and broken upland,
the highest summits being from 200 to above the valleys.
Rondout Creek flows north-east through the town near the
center, receiving Coxingkill from the south, and Cottlekill from
the north. The Delaware and Hudson Canal extends along the
Rondout Creek. The soil is chiefly a sandy loam.
In the north-west part of the town are several small lakes,
called the Binnewaters. Cement is extensively manufactured
throughout the town. The Wallkill Valley R.R. extends
through the whole length of the town. In the south-west
part are three caves, in a ledge of rocks of the Shawangunk
Mountains, where ice is found at all times of the year.
Rosendale. (p.v.) situated on the creek and canal, near the center
of the town, contains three churches, viz., Reformed, Baptist and
Roman Catholic; two hotels, two stores, a school, two blacksmith
shops, three wagon shoes, an undertaker, coal yard, a harness shop,
a shoe shop, two milliners, a meat market, a cement kiln and about
550 inhabitants. The W.V. R.R. crosses the creek at this place on a
bridge long and above the water.
Lawrenceville, names in honor of Mr. Watson E. Lawrence, is
situated on the creek, about a mile above Rosendale, and contains
two cement manufactories and about 400 inhabitants.
The Rosendale Cement Company's Mills at this place, have a capacity
for manufacturing about 350 barrels daily, and give employment to
about 60 men. This is the pioneer company in the manufacture of
cement, and was established by Mr. Watson E. Lawrence, who now
resides in New York.
Lawrenceville Cement Co. have a capacity for manufacturing about
125,000 barrels each season, giving employment to about 130 men.
The mills are on the Delaware and Hudson Canal.
Bruceville, in the west part of the town, on Rondout Creek, about
two and a half miles from Rosendale, contains a store, a cement
mill and fifteen dwellings.
The Bruceville Cement Manufactory makes about 30,000 barrels each
season, and gives employment to about 35 hands. The mills have a
capacity for about 300 barrels per day. James H. Van Demark is the
A mineral spring at this place receives some patronage.
Rosendale Plains is a hamlet about one and a fourth miles south of
Rosendale, and contains a hotel, a blacksmith shop, a trotting
course and ten dwellings.
LeFevre Falls, (p.v.) formerly known as Rook Lock, is situated
about a mile below Rosendale, and contains a store, three hotels,
two cement manufactories and about thirty dwellings.
The New York Cement Company, at this place, manufacture about 500
barrels of cement per day and about 100,000 barrels during the
Martin & Clearwater's Cement Works have a capacity for making
80,000 barrels per season, and give employment to about one hundred
Whiteport, in the north-east part of the town, is about four miles
north from Rosendale, and about the same distance south-west of
Rondout. It contains the Neward & Rosendale Lime and Cement
Works and a population of about 1,500, including what is known as
Hickory Bush. The village has been built up almost wholly by the
Cement Works. They manufacture about 800 barrels per day, and have
a capacity for 1,000 barrels. The barrels are all made here and
their cement is transported to tide water over a horse railroad.
They employ about 180 men. The quarries are entered by tunnels, two
of which are in length each, and one seventy feet. They have a
perpendicular depth of about 120 to . They have seventeen kilns,
fifteen of which are in constant use. It is ground in a mill
containing twelve runs of three feet stones, the power being a
fifty horse-power water wheel and two 100 horse-power
The Lawrence Cement Company was established in1848. Their works are
about a mile south of Whiteport. They manufacture about 550 barrels
per day, and give employment to about 100 men. Their cement is
quarried and burned here, and transported over a horse railroad to
Eddyville, where it is ground and shipped.
Creek Locks, (p.v) in the east part of the town, where the canal
locks into the creek, contains two stores, a grocery, a school and
about 25 dwellings.The Hudson River Cement Works, located on the
Hudson River, a few miles above Rondout, have an extensive quarry
near Creek Locks, where they give employment to about fifty men.
The stone is conveyed from the quarry about three-eights of a mile
on an inclined plain railway, the descending cars drawing up the
ascending ones.The Warner Lime and Cement Co. of Troy, have a
quarry and kilns in this town, where they give employment to
The first settlement of this town was made about 1700. It received
its name from the old “Rosendale Farm” where an inn was kept in
1711. The place is now owned by Mrs. M.C. Cornell. It was the
residence of Col. Rutzer, one of the patentees. The house is of
stone and was for a long time the office of the Loan Commissioner
of the County. General Washington visited the County in June 1783,
when Mrs. Washington and Governor and Mrs. Clinton were entertained
in this house by Col. Hardenburgh. As this town had no separate
organization until 1844, its early history is blended with that of
adjacent towns from which it was taken.
“Gordon's Gazetteer” published in 1836, says the village of
Rosendale contains ten or twelve dwellings and a hydraulic cement
factory, owned by W.E. Lawrence, and giving employment to from 100
to 200 hands, and producing 500 casks daily.
The Reformed Church was the first organized in the town. Rev. J.
McFarland was the first pastor. Their house of worship was erected
in 1843; it will seat 300 and cost $2,500. The present membership
is 82. Rev. M.F. Libeneau is the pastor.
The New School Baptist Church was organized by Lewis Raymond with
26 members. The first pastor was David Mores. Their house of
worship was erected in 1841; it will seat 350 and cost $1,600. Its
present value is $3,500. The present membership is 70, and the
pastor is Rev. D. Van Fredenburgh.
St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church was organized in 1851 by Father
Martin; with about 50 members. The first services were held under a
tree on the present site of the church. Their house of worship was
erected in 1852; it seats 350. The first pastor was Rev. Edward
Lynch; the present pastor is Rev. Patrick Brady. The membership is
1,500 and the value of the church property is about $10,000.
The population in 1870 was 3,625, and its area , with an assessed
value of $442,920.
There are seven school districts, employing nine teachers. The
number of children of school age is 1,256; the number attending
school, 775; the average attendance, 347, and the value of school
houses and sites, $7,850.
Seal of the New York and Rosendale
The Rosendale region is most well known for the production of
. The Rosendale
natural cement industry began during of the construction the
Delaware and Hudson Canal
in 1825. Rosendale natural cement soon gained a
reputation for quality among engineers and was used in the
construction of many of our nation's most important landmarks,
including the Brooklyn
Bridge, the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, Federal
Hall, and one of the wings of the United States
The industry fell into decline in the early
Widow Jane Mine.
Rosendale natural cement was produced from dolostone
extracted from the Rosendale and
Whiteport members of the Late Silurian
. The natural levels of
the dolostone from the Rondout Formation are ideally suited for
cement production and required none of the chemical additives
characteristic of modern Portland
Several abandoned dolostone mines
in the Rosendale region. A mine on the property of the Snyder
Estate, which is maintained as part of a museum preserving the
history of the Rosendale natural cement industry by the Century
House Historical Society, is open to the public. Other mines have
been put to a number of uses, including mushroom farming and movie
locations. The records storage management company Iron Mountain
currently maintains at least one mine for storing anything from
microfiche to data backup tapes.
In 2004 limited cement mining resumed in Rosendale, and Rosendale
natural cement is again being produced. Edison Coatings, Inc. in
Plainville, Connecticut, is producing natural cement for use in
historic restoration projects.
According to the United
States Census Bureau
, the town has a total area of
20.8 square miles
), of which, 19.9 square
miles (51.6 km²) of it is land and 0.8 square miles
(2.1 km²) of it (3.90%) is water.
The New York State Thruway
) passes through the
town. Rondout Creek
joins the Wallkill River
by the east town line.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 6,352
people, 2,587 households, and 1,634 families residing in the town.
The population density
people per square mile (123.0/km²). There were 2,857 housing units
at an average density of 143.3/sq mi (55.3/km²). The racial
makeup of the town was 95.72% White
, 1.79% African American
, 0.43% from other races
, and 1.34% from two
or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 2.63%
of the population.
There were 2,587 households out of which 30.4% had children under
the age of 18 living with them, 48.3% were married couples
living together, 10.1% had a female
householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families.
28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had
someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average
household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age
of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to
64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was
38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every
100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $44,282, and the
median income for a family was $51,444. Males had a median income
of $34,321 versus $28,787 for females. The per capita income
for the town was
$21,303. About 8.4% of families and 11.9% of the population were
below the poverty line
, including 17.5%
of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Rosendale
- Binnewater – A hamlet north of Rosendale
- Bloomington – A hamlet in the northeast part
of the town, southeast of Whiteport.
- Bruceville – A hamlet in the southwest part of
the town, southwest of Rosendale village.
- Creeklocks – A hamlet at the east town line,
south of Bloomington and on the west bank of Rondout Creek.
- Cottekill – A hamlet northwest of Rosendale
- Hickory Bush – A hamlet in the northeast part
of the town, south of Whiteport and located on the west bank of
- High Falls – A hamlet at the town line by the
southwest part of the town.
- Kallops Corners – A hamlet north of Rosendale
- Lawrenceville – A hamlet west of Rosendale
village on Route 213.
- Lefevere Falls – A hamlet adjacent to the
Thruway and northeast of Rosendale village.
- Maple Hill – A hamlet north of Lefever Falls
and Rosendale village.
- Rosendale Village – A hamlet in the eastern half of the town by
- Sturgeon Pool – A wide part of the Wallkill
River at the east town line.
- Tillson--A hamlet south of Rosendale village
- Whiteport – A hamlet in the northeast corner
of the town adjacent to the Thruway.
- History of Rosendale, NY, FROM: Gazetteer and Business
Directory Of Ulster County, N. Y. For 1872-2. Compiled and
Published By Hamilton Child, Syracuse, NY 1871