also spelt as Sattankulam, is a panchayat town in Toothukudi district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
25 km (16 miles) away from Tiruchendur and 59 km (37 miles) from Tirunelveli. It is well-connected with Tirunelveli,
Tuticorin, Nagerkovil and Tiruchendur by road.
airport is at Tuticorin 88 km (55 miles) from there.
Sattankulam is located at . It has an average elevation of .
India census, Sathankulam had a population of 14,205. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Sathankulam has an average literacy rate of 81%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 84%, and female literacy is 78%. In Sathankulam, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The major agriculture is Paddy in the Sattankulam Taluks. Groundnut
cultivation also is undertaken in Sattankulam and near-by places.
Groundnut cake is being used as manure
cattle feed. Palmyrah trees are
grown mostly in Sattankulam and near-by villages. Jaggery
is produced from palmyrah juice; the
production of Palm jaggery was the main occupation of the people of
Sattankulam at one time. Several people have shifted their
occupation to other fields such as Agriculture, retail trade,
education and jobs. Many youths now work in the larger cities,
particularly at Madras.
Hr Sec school is a famous and historical school. Now one college is
The suburb villages of Sattankulam, Udangudi, Edaichivizhai,
Thisayanvizhai are famous for dry arid Theri forests located in
various surrounding these towns. These their forests with red soil
are densly planted with Palm tress, cashew plantation and various
other varieties of plants typical to this region. Sattankulam means
the pond associated with local deity Sathnar who is generally known
as Ayyanar. The common belief for the red soil of Theri lands is
that one powerful local god Karkuvel ayyanar requested his agent
Vanniaraja to end the life of any one who has intention to other's
property. When Vanniaraja killed one of the thief (Kallan), it is
believed that blood has caused the entire land to become red
soiled. People from this their land are hard workers, loyal to
justice for all and do not involve in thefts, crimes etc as they
have deep belief in this folk tale.
The Sathankulam has presence of large number of Nadar community
whose family members make a network of relatives with dominance in
trade of Palm jaggery production & trade, Agriculture, Retail
trade shops in several parts of Tamil Nadu.
There are several traditional Nadar community family people who
carry on their mini-institutional services in siddha, verma, Nature
cure treatment and curing for ailing patients in and around
Sathnkulam, Thisayanvilai and Radhapuram.
Ayya Anbu Vazhi followers are also predominantly present in this
Totally 14 schools are there in Sathankulam.
- AVE MARIA English School, Sathankulam
This is the school being run by AID INDIA. Ave Maria indicates the
human rights association namely ASSOCIATION OF VETETAN EMPLOYEES OF
MINORITY ACADEMIC RECOGNISED INSTITUTIONS OF ALL KIND. Also it is a
glorious salutation to Our Blessed Mother Mary. It is functioning
in Ave Maria Park at Pannamparai Vilakku. That place is called AVE
MARIA PARK. AVE MARIA School and Orphanage are functioning together
in the same campus.
- Panchayat Union Primary School, Gandhinagar Sathankulam
- R C (G) Boys School, Sathankulam
- R C Boy Primary School, Sathankulam
- Sri Mariamman Hindu Primary School, Sathankulam
- St Johns Nursery School, Sathankulam
- T D T A Stephens Primary School, Sathankulam
- T D T A Tucksford Primary School, Sathankulam
Upper Primary schools
- A E Ebrahim Middle School, Sathankulam
- Sri Mariamman High School, Sathankulam
Higher Secondary schools
- Henry Matric Higher Secondary School, Sathankulam
- R C (B) Higher Secondary School, Sathankulam
- R C (G) Higher Secondary School, Sathankulam
- T D T A Rmp Higher Secondary School, Sathankulam
- Sri Kaasi Vishwanathar Sametha Sri Vishalakshi Temple
- Sri puliyadi mariamman temple
- Sri vandimalachi vandimalayan temple
- Sri karaiyadi sudalaimadaswami temple
- Sri angalaperameswari amman temple
- Sri Perumal Temple
- Palani Andavar temple
- Sri Alagamman temple
- Sri Mutharamman temple,West Sathankulam
- Sri Ujainimakaliammam,kulasairastha
Sattangulam assembly constituency (no more & connected with
Srivaikuntam Assembly Constituency) is part of
Tiruchendur Lok Sabha constituency (No more & connected with
Tuticorin Lok Sabha constituency