The Full Wiki

Schöneberg: Map

  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



Gasometer, the architectural landmark of Rote Insel.
The RIAS building in Berlin-Schöneberg.
Schöneberg is a locality of Berlinmarker, Germanymarker. Until Berlin's 2001 administrative reform it was a separate borough including the locality of Friedenaumarker. Together with the former borough of Tempelhofmarker it is now part of the new borough of Tempelhof-Schönebergmarker.

History

The village was first documented in a 1264 deed issued by Margrave Otto III of Brandenburg. In 1751 Bohemian weavers founded Neu-Schöneberg also known as Böhmisch-Schöneberg along northern Hauptstraße. During the Seven Years' War on 7 October 1760 Schöneberg and its village church were completely destroyed by a fire due to the joint attack on Berlin by Habsburg and Russianmarker troops.

Alt & Neu Schöneberg were not combined as one entity until 1874 and received town privileges in 1898. Many of the former peasants gained wealth by selling their acres to the settlement companies of growing Berlin and built luxuriant mansions on Hauptstraße. The large town hall Rathaus Schönebergmarker was completed in 1914. In 1920 Schöneberg became a part of Greater Berlinmarker. Subsequent to World War II the Rathaus served as the city hall of West Berlin until 1991 when the administration of the reunited City of Berlin moved back to the Rotes Rathausmarker in Mittemarker.

Neighbourhoods

The locality of Schöneberg includes the neighbourhoods of Bayerisches Viertel (an affluent residential area with streets named after Bavarianmarker towns) and Rote Inselmarker (Red Island) as well as the Südgelände (South Grounds) and Lindenhof areas outside the Ringbahn circle.

Main sights



Notable people

Born in Schöneberg



Lived in Schöneberg



Gay Centre

The area around Nollendorfplatzmarker has been a centre of gay life in Berlin since the 1920s and early 1930s during the Weimar Republicmarker. The Eldorado Night Club on Motzstraßemarker was closed down by the Nazis on coming to power in 1933. The painter and printmaker Otto Dix used patrons of this establishment as subjects for some of his famous works. Christopher Isherwood lived just around the corner on Nollendorfstraße. This apartment was the basis for his book Goodbye to Berlin (1939) and later the musical Cabaret (1966) and the film Cabaret (1972) and is commemorated by a historic plaque on the building.

External links

  • [79000] Berlin Tourist Information
  • [79001] Gay Berlin Tourist Information
  • [79002] Map of Schöneberg in 1897
  • [79003] Map of Schöneberg in 1939



Embed code:






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message