Serangoon Secondary School
is a government secondary school in
The school was established in 1928. In
2001, the secondary school was moved to its present location at 11
- 'Blue' signifiies piety and sincerity
- 'White' embodies pure and wholesome, purity in thought, word
- 'Orange' represent strength, integrity and endurance
Eagle' derived from its German
counterpart-the German Eagle- symbolises self-discipline, dignity,
esteem and power.
'The Lamp' with it radiant flame or light, symbolises
- In 1928, it was first named Serangoon
English School in a double-storeyed building in Simon Road.
- In 1937, three standards were added and
with this, the school, provided education up to Standard Eight or
Secondary Three in present-day terms.
1942 to 1945, during the
Occupation, the school was used as the Japanese Normal
School for the training of officers in the Japanese education
service. Much equipment was lost during those years and the
school had also undergone structural alterations.
- In 1965, it remained a boys' school for
almost twelve years until the introduction of Pre-University
classes for both boys and girls.
- In 1952, new extensions were complete and
these included a new Science block with
Science laboratories on the ground
floor and an assembly hall
- In 1957, they saw the last of the primary
classes and the School became a secondary school for Upper
- In 1965, the first Pre-University class was
formed and this section soon extended to include two Pre-University
One classes and two Pre-University Two classes.
- In 1967, Serangoon English School shifted
to Lowland Road and it was later renamed, Serangoon Secondary
- In 1976, owing to the establishment of
Junior Colleges for Pre-University students, the Pre-University
section of the school was closed.
- In 2000, it moved to its own present
premises at Upper Serangoon View.
- In 2008, it celebrated its 80th