The Full Wiki

More info on Shenley Church End

Shenley Church End: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Shenley Church End is a village, district and civil parish in Milton Keynesmarker England. Together with its neighbouring parish, Shenley Brook Endmarker and the districts of Shenley Wood and Shenley Lodge, the districts are collectively known as "The Shenleys".


History

The village name 'Shenley' is an Old English language word meaning 'bright clearing'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the area was collectively known as Senelai.

The distinction between the Brook End and the Church End happened in the 12th century when a new manor house was constructed in Shenley Brook End by the Mansell family. However by 1426 the two manors were owned by the same person and the distinction between the two places was in name only.

Shenley Church End is also home to the Shenley Toot, an ancient motte and scheduled ancient monument.

Today, the historic village is the core of the new district that bears its name. The district is bounded by V3 Fulmer Street, V4 Watling Streetmarker, H5 Portway and H6 Childs Way.

Education and other services

The district contains Glastonbury Thorn First School, Denbigh Schoolmarker, one of the best schools in Milton Keynes and Shenley Church End Pre-School (situated in the Leisure Centre).

The local retail centre is an important hub for the parish, containing not only the school, but the (local council-run) Shenley Leisure Centre (includes sporting facilities such as a sports hall, gym, squash courts and outdoor football/tennis courts, as well as the Clock Inn Bar) as well as a shopping area comprising a fish and chip shop, an Off License, a small supermarket, a pharmacy, a newsagent, an estate agent, a bakery, a bike shop, a bookmaker, a charity shop, a Chinese restaurant, a medical practice, and a dental surgery.

Sport

Shenley Church End Cricket Club has been in existence since 1993. Previosuly known as Rickley Park CC until 1992, the club was re-named after moving from Bletchleymarker to play home matches at Denbigh Schoolmarker, but in 2002 SCECC relocated to the bottom pitch on Manor Fields in Fenny Stratfordmarker (where Bletchley Town CC play) - though choosing to retain their current name.

SCECC currently have a Saturday side playing in the Morrant Four Counties Cricket League Division 2, a side in the MK Sunday League Division 2 and compete in Division 1 of the MKDCA Midweek League.

Civil parish

The parish includes Shenley Dens, Shenley Hill, Grange Farm, Crownhill, Oakhill/Woodhill (including Woodhill marker, Shenley Wood (including Medbourne) and Shenley Church End.

The parish is bounded to the north-east by V4 Watling Streetmarker, to the north-west by the border with Calvertonmarker parish, to the south-west by the boroughmarker boundary with Aylesbury Valemarker (at Whaddonmarker) and to the south-east by H6 Childs Way.

References

External links


Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message