Sheriff Hutton is a village and civil parish
in the Ryedale district of
North Yorkshire, England.
about ten miles north by north-east of York.
Sheriff Hutton is so named because it was once held by Bertram de
, the Sheriff of York, who
died in 1166.
A motte-and-bailey castle
was built here in 1140 by Bertram de Bulmer,
during the reign of King Stephen
the remains of which can be seen to the south of the churchyard.
remains of the stone-built Sheriff Hutton Castle were built at the western end of the village by
Neville in the late fourteenth century.
John Rushton, in his book The Ryedale Story
, says of
Sheriff Hutton: "Few villages touch national history so closely as
Sheriff Hutton, still a real village despite recent growth. Castle
ruins dominate the scene and there is fine country never far
Sheriff Hutton parish church
The parish Church of St Helen and Holy Cross celebrated its ninth
centenary in 2000 and is allegedly the only site outside of London
where a Prince of Wales
The basis for this story is a memorial to a Prince of Wales inside
the parish church. Although there is some doubt, it is believed to
be that of Edward
's son, who died in 1484. The memorial is a cenotaph, not a
tomb, as the prince was buried elsewhere, and its present position
in the north-east corner of the church is not where it was intended
to stand. From past records, it would seem that the monument has
had several sites within the church. Made of alabaster, it has
suffered over the years and during the twentieth century and has
been restored several times.
Sheriff Hutton is served by its own school, Sheriff Hutton Primary
School. The village falls within the catchment area
- http://www.sheriffhutton.co.uk/ Village Website with local
information and news