Shermanbury is a village and civil parish
in the Horsham District of
It lies on
the A281 road 3.2 km (2 miles) north
present day village consists mainly of a ribbon development of
bungalows on the east side of the A281, while the ancient parish
church is some distance to the east by Shermanbury Place. Between
these is Ewhurst Manor, a modern house on an old moated site with a
stone gatehouse and nearby artificial lake and farmstead.
Adur flows through Shermanbury, where it is met by the
The parish has a land area of 775 hectares (1,915 acres).
In the 2001 census 454 people lived in 182 households of whom 253
were economically active.
In the Domesday Book
, compiled in
1087, the manor of Shermanbury, then called Salmonesberie
is held by Ralph from William de Braose
having been formerly held by Azor from King Harold
. There are two ploughs, one
belonging to the lord and one shared by one villager and three
smallholders. There is a small church and four slaves. There are
three other manors in Shermanbury parish, Woolfly, also held by
Ralph, and Morley and Sakeham held by William son of Ranulph. The
parishes of Shermanbury and Cowfold comprised the Saxon hundred of
Hamfelt, and was on the eastern boundary of the Norman Rape of Bramber
The parish church
church of St. Giles
is well away from the modern roads,
approached along a tree-lined bridleway leading to Shermanbury
Place, east of the Brighton road. A small church is mentioned in
the Domesday Book
, but the present
structure is of 14th century origin. The roof is of Horsham stone
slates with a weatherboarded belltower at the west end, containing
two bells. The door and stone roofed porch are at the west end.
Inside 18th century pews have the names of houses to which they
were allocated painted on the backs.
The Tudor predecessor of Shermanbury
Shermanbury Place, adjacent to the church in Shermambury Park, is a
mansion built by John Challen in 1779 on the site of a 16th century
Tudor house with projecting crosswings. The Tudor house was built
by one of the Comber family. Sir Richard Comber was Clarenceaux King of Arms
. His son
Doctor Thomas Comber
was prominent in
the Church of England. Educated at Trinity College,
Cambridge he rose to become master of the college, and later
vice-chancellor of the university.
As the king's chaplain he
was staunchly royalist and was imprisoned by parliament for
attempting to give the university treasures to the king.
Ewhurst Manor gatehouse
The moated manor house was built by Thomas Peverel during the reign
of Edward I
. Only the early 14th
century gatehouse, with a porters lodge attached survives. A room
over the gateway has a cross shaped loop window. Ewhurst manor
occupied the western third of Shermanbury parish. The existence of
a deer park at Ewhurst was recorded in 1274, during the 14th
century, and in 1538.
- Domesday entry
- From History Of Sussex 2 by Horsefield
- Churches in Sussex
- Friends of St. Giles
- British History Online