, which is neither a village nor
a city but a delightful mix of both, is about 44 km to the
south of Chennai. It has a famous Narasimha
temple which is very ancient.This is
small temple on a hillock about 20 km from Tambaram -Chennai.
It is about 6 km from SRM college.An early morning drive from
Chennai to Singaperumal koil is really worth it. The breeze is cool
and the traffic minimum. Most of the buses (other than express and
point to point) that ply towards Chengalpet will take you there
within 75-90 mins of travelling from the city.
It is a lovely temple housing a large (about 8 ft) idol of
one of the incarnations of Vishnu who is
half-man and half-lion. The name Singaperumal translates to
The idol is a part of a large boulder (almost a hillock). Hence if
one desires to circumbulate the idol (pradakshina), one needs to go
round the boulder. This is called Giri-valam in Tamil. Giri is
hill/mountain and Valam is going round in a clockwise manner.
The idol here is unique. While performing Arathi, the priests
remove the "Namam" of Narasimhaswamy
reveal the third eye.
Pataladri means Red Hill (Patal means red; Adri means hill) - here
is an Ugra roopa. Legends tell
that he manisfested here at the request of Sage Jabali, after the
destruction of Hiranyakashyapu. Since Narasimha
here is in a position to destroy evil,
it is believed that if one sees the third eye of this god, all
misery of life is removed.
One can go around the hillock thrice, seven times, nine times or
twelve times. On the Prakara are idols of Venkateshwara and
Swami. There is also a
wish-fulfilling tree, the mandapa and the bali peetha. It is a
lovely sight to watch birds and animals eat the prasada offered at
the bali peetha.
The prasadam is sold in a small stall right inside the temple
premises - do not miss the Dosas and chilli powder there, they are
great. (only on weekends)
Another temple the Devanathaswamy Temple is situated about
3 km West of Singaperumal Koil. Devanathaswamy resides in a
village named Chettipunniyam, which boasts of four or five streets.
The presiding deity, Devanathaswamy, sits facing East.Though a
Sannidhi for Varadaraja Perumal has been in this temple for the
last 350 years, it was only in 1848, thanks to the efforts of
Sirasdar Rao Sahib Rangachar, the idol of Devanathaswamy of
Tiruvendipuram was installed in this temple. The year was 1848; the
day Friday; month Vaigasi; date 22; and the star Makam. From that
day, daily pooja is offered to this deity. Devanathaswamy did not
come alone but along with Hayagriva
facts are corroborated by the Government Gazette records of the
South Arcot Government, of the same year The idols of Thayar,
Sridevi, Boodevi and Andal were installed after this. The idols of Sri
Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Hanuman were
brought to Vandalur in Chennai, in the year
1868, on Oct 5, by Mudumbai Ramaswamy Iyengar, from the Tanjore
When Ramaswamy Iyengar migrated to Bangalore, he had
all these Gods installed in the Devanathaswamy Temple, since
Chettipunniyam, was his native village. There is a separate sanctum
sanctorum for Sri Rama
in this temple. It has
to be mentioned here that the first Mysore Dewan Veeravalli
Rangachar (1831-1883) also hailed from this village.
The villagers conduct the 'Thiruparvettai' festival in a grand
manner, on a Sunday in the month of 'Thai' (Jan 15 - Feb 15), every
year. The temple trust organises a number of utsavs like Sri jayanthi
, Special thai velli poojas, Sri
, Sri Vedanta Desikan
Sathumurai, Vaigasi magam
and Deepa (Lights) utsavam.
The devotees also conduct many utsavs - adhyayana utsav, Vijaya
dasami, Adi Pooram, Panguni Uthiram, Udayavar Saathumurai and Sri
Ramanavami. Another famous celebration was Sri Devanathaswamy's
centenary (100 years in this temple), which was celebrated for 10
days, in grand style.
After a very long time, the Ashtabandhana Maha Samprokshanam was
performed on May 17, 1993. The devotees of the village say, as far
as their knowledge goes, no Samprokshanam had been done in the last
100 years. This famous temple is under the HR & CE board. An
officer has been appointed to manage the affairs of the temple. A
five-member committee oversees the functioning of the temple. Sri C
V Palani is the temple trustee, at present. The Hayagriva
in the temple, it is believed, bestows
upon the devotees, education, wealth and progress in all walks of
life. The temple is open between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. and between 4
p.m. and 7 p.m. everyday. The temple owns about of agricultural
land and a big grove, in the village.