South Dakota School for the Deaf (SDSD) is a
state-supported school located in Sioux
Dakota that provides services to meet the educational
needs of children who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, or have cochlear implants.
SDSD is governed
by the South Dakota Board
SDSD was founded in 1880 as the Dakota Territorial School
for the Deaf
when the area was still part of the Dakota Territory
. When South Dakota became
a state in 1889, the school was placed under the state's Board of
Charities and Corrections and changed its name to its present form.
In 1944, voters ratified an amendment to the state constitution
which moved SDSD and the South Dakota School for the Blind (now the
South Dakota State School for the Visually Handicapped) under the
care of the South Dakota Board of Regents.