The Full Wiki

More info on Spiegel Grove

Spiegel Grove: Map


Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Rutherford and Lucy Hayes' grave at Spiegel Grove
Spiegel Grove, also known as Spiegel Grove State Park, Rutherford B. Hayes House, Rutherford B. Hayes Summer Home and Rutherford B. Hayes State Memorial is an historic site that was the estate of Civil War general and nineteenth President of the United States Rutherford B Hayes. It is located at 1337 Hayes Avenue in Fremont, Ohiomarker. Spiegel is the German word for mirror. The traditional story is that the estate was named by Sardis Birchard, an uncle of Rutherford B. Hayes, for the reflective pools of water that collected on the property after a rain shower. The Rutherford B.marker Hayes Presidential Centermarker is also located here.

President Hayes and his wife Lucy Webb Hayes are buried at a memorial on the property. Hayes died in 1893 and was buried in Oakwood Cemeterymarker next to his wife who had died in 1889. Following the gift of this home to the state of Ohio for the Spiegel Grove State Park, their bodies were reinterred at Spiegel Grove in 1915.

A war horse which belonged to Captain Russell Hastings, named Old Whitey, which became the mascot of the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, is buried at Spiegel Grove with a grave marker reading Old Whitey A Hero of Nineteen Battles 1861-1865.

The site was declared a National Historic Landmark on January 29, 1964.

On October 15, 1966, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.


The house was built around 1860 century as a two story brick mansion. It featured many bedrooms and a wrap-around porch. In 1880, the house was expanded with the addition of 5 new rooms, and the massive staircase that led all the way up to the 4th floor. In 1889, 6 more rooms were added to the house, giving it its current appearance. After all the expansions, the house had over 30 rooms, and over 10000 square feet of living space.


Since then, the house has been open for tourists. For a fee, visitors can view the various rooms as well as furniture, books, and other items in the house. Visitors are allowed to access most of the rooms on the first and second floors. The third and fourth floors are currently not open to the public.

See also


  1. Hoogenboom, Ari. Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior and President. Lawerence, Kansas: University Press of Kansas, 1995, pg 173.
  2. and

External links

Embed code:

Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address