The Full Wiki

St. Lawrence University: Map

Advertisements
  
  
  
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



St. Lawrence University is a private, four-year liberal arts college located in the village of Cantonmarker in Saint Lawrence County, New Yorkmarker. Founded in 1856, it is the oldest coeducational university in the state of New Yorkmarker. It has roughly 2000 undergraduate and 100 graduate students, about equally split between male and female.

History

Gunnison Memorial Chapel


Though St. Lawrence today is non-denominational, it was founded in 1856 by leaders of the Universalist Church, who were seeking to establish a seminary somewhere west of New Englandmarker and were enthusiastically courted by the citizens of Canton. The church almost did not place the school in Canton, however; as they felt that students may be exposed to too much "excitement" within the village limits in 1856. The denomination, which has since merged with the Unitarian faith, was part of the liberal wing of Protestantism, championing such ideas as critical thinking and gender equality—attributes that surfaced in the new Theological School of St. Lawrence Universitymarker, which was progressive in its teaching philosophy and coeducational from the beginning.

The University as it exists today was created as a "Preparatory Department" to provide a foundation for theological study. That department became today's liberal arts University, while the seminary closed in 1965 with the Unitarian/Universalist consolidation.

Early in the 20th century, the University's graduate program in education came into being; it has since served hundreds of North Country school teachers and administrators. Following a difficult period during the Great Depression and World War II, the student body increased quickly, and with it the physical plant. A four-building campus serving around 300 students in the early 1940s became a 30-building campus serving 2000 students within 25 years, partly through acquisition of the adjacent state school of agriculture campus when that facility relocated across town. The mid-60s also saw the birth of one of St. Lawrence's nationally known programs: its international programs.

The University has embarked upon another facilities upgrade program that aims to take advantage of the electronic revolution in higher education, as well as a curriculum reform to tailor its educational programs to the demands of the next millennium. The campus Student Center was completed in the Spring of 2004 and serves as the school's hub at the center of campus. The Johnson Hall of Science opened in the Fall of 2007, and expanded learning and lab space in several science disciplines, notably Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, and Psychology. Johnson Hall received LEED Gold certification for its sustainable design; it's the only Gold science building in New York State. The Noble Center, formerly used as a student center, is now undergoing major renovations to double the space available for the arts. A new Center for Arts Technology opened in January 2007.

Admissions

In 2008 for the class of 2012 St. Lawerence received 5,418 applications (an all-time high) and accepted 1,827 for an acceptance rate of 34% (an all-time low). For the class of 2012, the middle 50 percent of admitted students received an SAT score of 1710-1910. Starting in 2006 submission of the SAT/ACT became optional for all applicants.

Academics

Majors and Programs

In total there are 40 majors available and 36 minors. St. Lawrence has 3+2 engineering programs run jointly with seven other colleges, and a 4+1 MBA at Clarkson Universitymarker.

The following departmental majors are available: Anthropology, Biochemistry, Biology, Conservation Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, Fine Arts, French, Geology, German, Global Studies, Government, History,International Economics and French, German, Spanish or Multilanguage, Neuroscience, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Music, Performance and Communications Arts, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Spanish.Combined majors are available with the following: African Studies, Asian Studies, and Canadian Studies.The following interdisciplinary majors are offered: Mathematics/Computer Science, Biology/Physics, Economics/Mathematics, Geology/Physics. An Environmental Studies major can be combined with any of the following majors: Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Geology, Government, Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology. Self-designed and double majors are also available.

Minors are offered in the following subjects: African Studies, Anthropology, Applied Statistics, Asian Studies, Biology, Canadian Studies, Caribbean & Latin American Studies, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Education, English, European Studies, Film Studies, Fine Arts, French, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Geology, German, Global Studies, Government, History, Mathematics, Music, Native American Studies, Outdoor Studies, Peace Studies, Performance and Communication Arts, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Spanish, and Sports Studies & Exercise Science. Self-designed minors, and double minors are available. Students are also free to take classes at nearby Clarkson University and SUNY Potsdam.

International Studies

St. Lawrence University has a strong commitment to the values of cross-cultural academic opportunities. Off-campus study, whether international or domestic, permits students to expand their academic experience in diverse settings. St. Lawrence offers approved international programs in Australia, Austria, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, England, France, India, Japan, Kenya, Russia, Spain, Thailand, and Trinidad. In addition, the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) allows students to study at any of 100 universities on six continents. In the U.S., students can study in Washington, D.C., or at Fisk University, a distinguished, historically Black university in Nashville, Tennessee. Some of these programs extend over a full year, others a semester. All programs foster cultural immersion, usually through homestays and language study, and where possible through internships or community service.

First Year Program

The First-Year Program (FYP) at St. Lawrence is one of the oldest living/learning programs for first year students in the country. Over the past 22 years, the program has evolved in ways that make us confident that the program helps students make a successful transition from high school to college, both academically and socially and is a cornerstone of the St. Lawrence experience. Residential colleges are the heart of the FYP. In their first semester, students live in one of 18 residential colleges with all of the other students enrolled in their FYP course. This interdisciplinary, team-taught course focuses on a topic of broad interest, and is one of the four courses that first year students take in the fall.

In the spring semester of their first year, our students continue to work on developing their communication skills by enrolling in a First-Year Seminar (FYS). Although these seminars are not residentially-based, they are small, thus allowing students to build close relationships with another group of students and with another faculty member. Students who wish to enroll in the seminar taught by their Fall FYP seminar instructor/advisor are guaranteed a spot in this seminar. The spring courses cover a wide range of topics, whether through interdisciplinary or disciplinary study

Libraries

The Owen D. Young Library (ODY) is a spacious research environment offering a multilevel facility of 96,000 square feet, characterized by an abundance of natural light and a variety of seating for individual and group study. A six-million-dollar renovation of the library was recently completed; the renovations prepare ODY for the twenty-first century. It includes more than 500,000 volumes, over 370,000 government documents, 1986 periodicals, 550,000 microtext units, recipient of 10,000 to 20,000 reports and documents annually and access to over 70 databases through Internet.

In addition to ODY, which houses the college’s major collections in the social sciences and humanities, the J. Harold and Ruth C. Launders Science Library opened in January 1994. Home of the major science and technology collections at St. Lawrence, the Launders Science Library occupies the upper two floors of Madill Hall, and triples the space available for science resources and services.

The library’s wonderful collection of primary scholarly resources may be viewed and used in the beautiful new Frank and Anne Piskor Special Collections Reading Room, located directly across the atrium from the main entrance of ODY. Each semester the special collections staff offer instruction to classes from a variety of academic departments and programs, including fine arts, French, English, history, environmental studies, economics and the outdoor studies program. In addition, the special collections program includes a book arts collection and a laboratory press. Highlights of St. Lawrence’s special collections include the William Rose Benet Collection of American Poetry, the Milburn Collection of Hawthorniana, the Edwin Arlington Robinson Collection, the Frank P. Piskor Collection on Robert Frost. Other special collections include manuscripts devoted to Frederic Remington, the Adirondacks, the St. Lawrence Seaway and other aspects of northern New York history.

Campus Life

Arts and Cultural Offerings

The opportunities described below are augmented by frequent concerts, exhibits, performances and shows provided by outside performers.

Music

The music department supports three vocal and two instrumental ensembles. Laurentian Singers, an undergraduate chorus that tours each spring, University Chorus and the Early Music Singers provide vocal opportunities for St. Lawrence students. Instrumentalists may choose between participation in the String Orchestra, Concert Band, Improv Lab, Early Music Ensemble and Special Productions. The Early Music Ensemble uses the Emily Romer Collection of medieval and Renaissance instruments to perform music of the 12th through 18th centuries. Each semester the department offers a Special Production, focusing on a particular repertory. Recent productions haveincluded a Latin Dance Party, Music for Louis XIV and Traditional Irish Music. Private instruction is available in voice and on keyboard, guitar, brass, woodwinds and strings. Two informal student-directed collegiate a cappella groups, The Saints and The Sinners, are active both on and off campus. Most students that participate in the Music Ensembles are not Music Majors, but rather have a strong interest in pursuing their musical capabilities.

Theatre

The Performance and Communication Arts (PCA) department stages annual faculty-directed productions in Gulick Theater, a proscenium theater seating 511. In addition, the flexible 85- to 100-seat Edison Miles Theater (better known as the Black Box) is used for experimental and student productions. Guest artist workshops that address all aspects of theater are offered for interested students. Though some production work is associated with classes, for many productions it is not necessary to be a major, or even currently enrolled in (PCA) classes, to participate.

Art

The University art collection contains nearly 7,000 objects that are frequently displayed in the Richard F. Brush Art Gallery or used for tours and classroom discussions. While the collection dates to the University’s founding, its most vital growth has taken place in recent years. Twentieth-century works on paper, such as photographs, prints, drawings and portfolios, are the strength of the collection. Paintings and sculptures by Frank Stella, George Segal, Louise Nevelson, Isamu Noguchi, Milton Avery and Frederic Remington are among the collection’s highlights.

Activities

St. Lawrence hosts more than 100 student activities groups. St. Lawrence is home to the second oldest collegiate Outing Club in the nation (next to only Dartmouth College). The club annually sends students to climb all 46 foot peaks over 4,000ft of the Adirondacks during "Peak Weekend". Peak Weekend has recently celebrated its 25th anniversary at St. Lawrence. The Outing Club also has its own residence on campus and is part of the Theme Cottages. The Club frequently sponsors trips for skiing, hiking, rafting and other activities.

Established in 1993 as a student-run coffeehouse, the Java Barn is a well-known venue among touring bands on the East Coast. In 2006 the music venue moved to the former Winning Health Center, where it now maintains a more central location on campus.

The Student Government is also very active on campus. The Thelomathesian Society was founded in 1863 by Vasco P. Abbott who became its first President. The Thelomathesian Society, or Thelmo as it is often called, serves as the governing body of the St. Lawrence University Student Body, and is a forum for students to voice their opinions on issues presented by the Administration, Faculty, and Student Body. Thelmo debates and votes on a wide variety of issues, ranging from University policies to St. Lawrence University Student Activities Funding (SLUSAF) requests for different campus groups and organizations

Theme Cottages are a popular housing option at St. Lawrence. The Women's Resource Center was organized to raise awareness of gender issues on and off campus. WRC members, or "Dub Girls", are trained as sexual assault advocates and create education programs to promote safe sexual practices. The SaGA House theme cottage, established in 2008, is an LGBT resource center. This cottage is works to end discrimination of LGBT students, and to provide safe-space for LGBT and LGBT-questioning students. The Greenhouse is home to many environmentally conscious students. Students in the Greenhouse live in an environmentally responsible manner. The Habitat for Humanity theme cottage houses students that actively work with the local chapter and national office of Habitat for Humanity. The theme cottages often organize campus-wide "theme parties", such as an "80s prom" or an "anything-but-clothes" party.

The Greek System now consists of four sororities and one fraternity chapter, with one currently in the process of recolonization.In 1997 the school had five sororities and seven fraternities. The current state of Greek participation levels are substantially lower than in past years, due in part to liability issues and national chapter concerns over various alcohol and code violations.

Fraternities

Current: Past:

Sororities

Current: Past:
  • Pi Beta Phi, 1914-1994
  • Alpha Delta Pi, ????-1982
  • Kappa Delta, 1921-1969 (Left National to form Kappa Delta Sigma in 1969)


Residential Life

St. Lawrence is a four-year residential university; the residential experience is integral to the educational process. Students are required to live in University residence halls, theme cottages or Greek chapter houses during each semester at the University. Each residential area has a residential coordinator (RC) who provide supervision, leadership and support for the residents in their units and perform administrative duties pertaining to their buildings. Community assistants (CA) are undergraduate students who assist RCs.

The First-Year Program (FYP)

A unique requirement of St. Lawrence's curriculum is the First Year Program. All first-year students live in residential colleges of the FYP. These are buildings or wings of buildings where approximately 30 students live together and enroll in a common course. A professional RC and upperclass CAs provide supervision.

Upperclass Residential Program

All upperclass students live in one of three housing options: residence halls, cottages or Greek chapter houses. The majority of upperclass students live in residence halls, where most floors are coeducational. Singles, doubles, triples and quads are available and there are suites in a two-building complex. Room assignments are made on a class year priority. Theme suites and cottages are available for groups with special common interests. Groups must apply in the spring semester for the following year.

Alma Mater

The St. Lawrence Alma Mater is "Alma Mater". The words and music were written by J. K. Gannon class of 1926.

Alma Mater, Old St.Lawrence,
We are singing now of thee,
May thy fair name dwell forever
In our fondest memory.
And when college days are over,
From this Hill we’ve wended down,
We will love thee yet,
We’ll ne’er forget the Scarlet and the Brown.


Hail Alma Mater!
To thee our heads bow down.


We will sing thy praise through the endless days,
To the Scarlet and the Brown.


Athletics

The St. Lawrence University Saints are a member of the Liberty League Athletic Conference, has ECACHL Division I Hockey Teams and fields 32 varsity teams (15 for men, 17 for women) and includes over 40% of the student body. The Skating Saints Men's team has twice played for Division I national championships (1961, 1988). The Men's soccer program went undefeated at 22-0 to capture the 1999 Division III soccer championship, and women's basketball narrowly was defeated in the 2002 NCAA Women's Division III Basketball Championship. The Men's Squash team was the 2007 and 2008 Summers Trophy winner at CSA Nationals. The Men's Swim team won the 1976 D-3 National Championship. The St. Lawrence University Wrestling Team won the Division III NCAA Championship in 1988. The wrestling team was discontinued in 1995. In 2009 Women's Cross Country team placed second at nationals. The University sponsors teams for Men's Football and Baseball, Women's Field Hockey, Volleyball and Softball, and Men's and Women's Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Crew, Ice Hockey, Riding, Alpine and Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis and Track and Field. The University has a strong active rivalry (especially in Hockey) with nearby Clarkson University only 10 miles away in Potsdam, NY. The Nordic and Alpine Ski teams are also one of tradition. They compete in EISA with Division-I and Division-III schools.

Intramurals are also a popular option for students. With broomball being one of the more popular. It is similar to hockey and played in the rink, the players use "brooms" to score by putting a small round ball in the oppositions net. The University also has a rafting/canoeing shack located at the edge of campus.

Ice Hockey

Since the program's beginning in 1925 the Saints have had a storied and successful history. The Saints Hockey team compete at the NCAA Division-I Level in the ECAC league for both men and women. They play their home games and have additional training facilities in Appleton Arenamarker which has a capacity of approximately 3,000 and was constructed in 1951. Since joining the league in 1951 The Saints were league champions in 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000 and 2001. They were also regular season champions in 2000 and 2007. Since 1951 the Saints have made the NCAA Tournament sixteen times.

In 1988, the Saints played in the NCAA national championship game at the Olympic Arena in Lake Placid, NY, losing to Lake Superior State University 4-3 in overtime. The 1987-88 season was the most successful in team history, with an overall record of 29-9-0. In 2000, the Saints played in the longest NCAA tournament game on record; a 3-2, quadruple overtime victory over Boston University. The win advanced the Saints to the Frozen Four, where the team eventually lost to Boston College in the National Semifinals. The Men's program has produced twenty-eight All-American players, seven ECAC torunament MVPs, six ECAC players of the year, four ECAC rookies of the year, and seven Hobey Baker Memorial Award finalists.

The women's team won three consecutive ECAC Division-III tournaments in 1990, 1991, and 1992 before moving to Division-I. Since then the women were runners up in 2001 and made it to the Frozen Four in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Athletic Facilities

Indoor facilities include two field houses with track and three tennis courts; two regulation basketball courts; competition swimming and diving pool; ten squash courts; fitness center and weight room; climbing wall; ice arena; equestrian arena. Outdoor facilities include competition and practice fields for soccer, softball, baseball, football, lacrosse and field hockey along with a lighted artificial turf field; six lighted tennis courts; lighted all weather track and lighted football/track stadium; 18-hole championship golf course and a boathouse on the St. Lawrence River in Waddington. Recreation facilities include jogging/walking trail, cross country/mountain bike trails, intramural fields, outdoor basketball and volleyball courts. Since 1996 the almost all of the athletic facilities have been renovated, replaced or recently constructed. In 2008 the Princeton Review ranked St. Lawrence with the 20th best athletic facilities in the country and was the only Division III institution ranked.

The campus

Sykes upperclassmen residence hall
The 1,000 acre (4 km²) campus is located on the south side of the Village of Canton. The main developed area consists on only 20% of the total campus area, and is centered along Park Street. Most of this area is a "walking campus" that is off-limits to motorized vehicles. Parking lots are located on the edge of campus and cross campus traffic is limited to Park Street (north-south) and Romoda Drive and University Avenue (east-west). Roads such as Park Street, Hillside Avenue, College Street, Lincoln Street, and Maple Street connect the school to downtown Canton and main roads such as US Route 11, NY Route 68, NY Route 310, and County Route 27. The University maintains 30 academic residential, sports and other buildings.

CAMPUS BUILDINGS

Sullivan Student Center Named after President Emeritus Dan Sullivan, the new student center opened in 2004 and is the home of the offices for the Department of Student Life, the Career Services offices, Campus Mail Room, Northstar Pub / Jack's Snack Shop, Student Financial Services, and several student club offices. Also here are a game area, lounge, and the Winston Room (a multi-purpose venue for movies, guest speakers, and other events.) The building was dedicated in honor of Dan and Ann Sullivan May 2009.

Owen D. Young Library Built in 1959, expanded in 1980, and renovated in 1999-2000, this is the main campus library. Features include the Munn Writing Center, the "treehouse" study areas, two public computer labs, and a 24-hour study room. Is a member of the ConnectNY interlibrary loan system.

Gunnison Memorial Chapel The stone chapel, from whose bell-tower the University bells ring every day at 5pm, was constructed in 1926. It is the site of many religious and spiritual services, and formal assemblies. Its larger stained glass windows depict scenes and academic majors at St. Lawrence, and the smaller, head-height, windows depict historical figures who have influenced the university and world in some way, including Emily Dickinson and Gandhi. The largest of all stained glass windows is in the rear of the chapel, over the entrance and reads a famous quote from one of the school's founders: "We have lit a candle in the wilderness that will never be extinguished."

Richardson Hall The oldest building on campus, constructed in 1856 when the University was Chartered. It is home to the English Department and the Religious Studies Department. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Piskor Hall Originally owned by SUNY Canton, the St. Lawrence obtained this building in the 1960s. It is named after Frank P. Piskor, one of St. Lawrence's most beloved Presidents. This building is currently home to the History, Philosophy, Anthropology and Sociology Departments.

Memorial Hall Home to St. Lawrence's Canadian Studies and Environmental Studies.

Herring-Cole Hall The University's original library, this building was built in 1870, and expanded in 1903. Since being replaced as library by ODY Library, this building is now used primarily as a study area and reading room. It is also the site of some smaller formal ceremonies and guest lectures.

Hepburn Hall Originally built as a science building in 1926, the keynote speaker at its dedication was Marie Curie. Today, it is home to the departments of Government and Economics. It is also home to an auditorium.

Carnegie Hall Constructed in 1906 with funds from Andrew Carnegie, this building is the home of the International Studies Program, and the Department of Modern Languages.

Atwood Hall Built in 1954, Atwood Hall is home to the Education Department and the University's graduate programs.

Vilas Hall The University's main administration building, built in 1965, houses Offices like the Registrar and the President's Office.

Payson Hall This sandstone building was constructed in 1909, and has been home to many departments and programs over the years. In 1993 the building was recycled, keeping its exterior architecture, but renovating its interior to be a warm, inviting place for the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Augsbury Physical Education Complex, Newell Field House and Stafford Fitness Center along with outdoor facilities, comprise one of the best collegiate athletic venues in the nation. All facilities have been built or renovated since 1998.
The Johnson Hall of Science
Appleton Arena is a 3,000-seat multi-purpose arena. It is home to the St. Lawrence University Skating Saints ice hockey team. It was named for Judge Charles W. Appleton, class of 1897, the main benefactor of the arena. It opened January 20, 1951, and was remodeled in the late 1970s and early 1980s to its current configuration

Johnson Hall of Science is open fall 2007 and features sustainable design for biology, chemistry, biochemistry, neuroscience and psychology study. A LEED Gold certified building, Johnson is Phase I of a multiple phase construction/upgrade project of the entire science facilities. Johnson Hall is named for its primary benefactor, Trustee Sarah Johnson Redlich'82.

Bewkes Science Hall The departments of chemistry, physics and biology each have a floor of Bewkes to call home, with laboratories, classrooms and faculty offices available to each department. Student lounges are also available in each department's areas, and labs are available to students for independent research and exploration.

Madill Hall/Launders Science Library Home to the Launders Science Library and Computing Center, with computer labs, graphic and other multi-media computer equipment and a complete scientific library, all open to student use since the building's complete renovation in 1994. The offices of information technology are also located here, where computer-use workshops are organized and computer help is always available.

Valentine Hall In addition to science classrooms and mathematics department offices, Valentine houses a state-of-the-art computer classroom designed for group work and guided study.

Brown Hall Home to the Geology Department, their collections, laboratories and classrooms.

Wachtmeister Field Station At the edge of campus, set near the woods and the Little River, the Wachtmeister Field Station gives faculty and students a place to prepare for and gather after their field research and labs. Faculty-student collaboration is at the heart of the St. Lawrence education.

Griffiths Arts Center/Brush Art Gallery Once the home of the campus center the 2005 renovation doubled the size of the arts facilities. You'll find in Griffiths: Gulick Theater, the site for most of the arts performances, films and guest lectures that occur on campus. The Richard F. Brush Art Gallery, which hosts an exhibition of student artwork among the eight to 10 shows every year, is also here, as are classrooms, laboratories, performance spaces, studios and offices for faculty in the fine arts, music and performance and communication arts departments. The Newell Center for Arts Technology, open January 2007, features collaborative work among all arts disciplines and many new studio and rehearsal spaces.

Arts Annex In addition to office space for faculty members from the performance and communication arts and fine arts departments, this building provides space for the music library and for student independent work. In addition to University music ensembles such as the University Chorus, Early Music Ensemble, Laurentian Singers, String Ensemble, and Wind Ensemble, students may also join more informal a cappella singing groups.

Herring Cole Reading Room St. Lawrence's first stand-alone library, Herring Hall was built in 1870; later, in 1903, the Cole Reading Room. One of two campus buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Herring-Cole is the site of seminars, archival exhibitions about University history, guest lectures and receptions in which the entire campus community participates.

North Country Public Radio Station A National Public Radio affiliate, North Country Public Radio broadcasts local and regional news and other programs, in addition to well known national programs such as "A Prairie Home Companion" and "All Things Considered.

Best Western University Inn Owned by the University, with operation of the hotel and restaurant to private operators, The Best Western is a favorite with visiting students and families for admissions interviews, Family Weekend and Commencement.

MacAllaster House/President's Home This historic home, given to the University for use as a home for the president, plays host to a variety of gatherings. A recent renovation and expansion was made possible through the generosity of the Torrey and MacAllaster families.

Notable alumni

The University has a number of notable graduates with over 30,000 living alumni including:

Acting



Athletics



Business

  • James W. “Jay” Ireland (1977), President of NBC Universal Television Stations.
  • Owen D. Young (1894), Headed General Electric (GE), founded the Radio Corporation of America (RCA), authored the Young Plan for European reparations after World War I, and was asked to consider the Democratic nomination for President in 1932. He was also Time's Man of the Year in 1930.
  • Jeffrey H. Boyd (1978): President and chief executive officer of Priceline.com
  • Holton D. Robinson (1886): Born in Massena, he invented stronger suspension bridge cable, and built such famous spans as the Manhattan Bridge, the San Francisco Bay Bridge,


Legal
  • Judge Gregory W. Carman (1958), U.S. Court of International Trade
  • Judge David Demarest (1970), Fourth Judicial District, New York
  • Jan H. Plumadore (1964), Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for the courts outside New York City
  • Judith C. Ensor (1988), Baltimore County Circuit Court, 3rd Judicial Circuit
  • Judge Toth Beasley, Senior Judge of the State of Georgia


Literature

  • Irving Bacheller, pioneered the idea of newspaper syndication and wrote the first best-seller of the 20th century, Eben Holden, based on his memories of growing up in the Canton/Pierrepont vicinity.
  • Lorrie Moore.
  • Tom Chiarella, Magazine Writer, Fiction Editor Esquire Magazine


Music



Politics
  • Susan Collins (1975), current United States Senator of Maine
  • Richard E. Hecklinger (1965): Former U.S. Ambassador to Thailand, current U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in Paris.
  • Joseph Lekuton, elected to the Kenyan Parliament in 2006.
  • Peter Michael Pitfield, Canadian politician. Held several prominent positions in Canadian national government, including Senator, Clerk of the Privy Council (considered second in importance to the Prime Minister) and Secretary to the Cabinet
  • Owen D. Young (1894) American industrialist, businessman, lawyer, Democratic candidate for President in 1932 and diplomat at the Second Reparations Conference in 1929.
  • Ronald Stafford New York State senator; Stafford Fitness Center is named after him.
  • George H. Winner, Jr., former New York State senator
  • Gerald B. H. Solomon, former United States Representative from New York
  • Gregory W. Carman (1958), former United States Representative from New York


Religion / Philosophy
  • Olympia Brown (1863), the first woman to graduate from a regularly established theological school. In the same year she also became the first woman to achieve full ministerial standing recognized by a denomination (Universalist). She was also the co-founder of the New England Woman Suffrage Association and the president of the Federal Suffrage Association.


Science

University History

  • Catherine Tedford 'Photographs At St. Lawrence University: A Critical Survey And Catalogue Of The Richard F. Brush Art Gallery' (St. Lawrence County, New York: St. Lawrence University, January 1, 2002)


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message