The Full Wiki

More info on St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Glynwood, Ohio)

St. Patrick's Catholic Church (Glynwood, Ohio): Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



St. Patrick's Church is a historic Roman Catholic church in Glynwoodmarker, an unincorporated community in Moulton Townshipmarker, Auglaize Countymarker, Ohiomarker, United Statesmarker. Located north of U.S. Route 33 between St. Marysmarker, and Wapakonetamarker, the church was built in 1883 in the Gothic Revival style. It is one of many large Catholic churches in a region of rural western Ohio known as the "Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches," which was settled by primarily Catholic immigrants during the nineteenth century.

Establishment

The parish was founded as St. Thomas' Church in the community of Six Mile in 1857. While most Catholic churches established in Auglaize and Mercermarker counties during this time were primarily German, St. Thomas' was established by Irish settlers. Mass was celebrated in private homes until a leading member donated land for a cemetery and church, which was built in 1860. Starting in the 1840s, the church was served by priests of the Society of the Precious Blood who were based at Minstermarker, approximately to the south.

Expansion

During the 1870s, Six Mile prospered due to the discovery of oil and natural gas in the region and the coming of the Lake Erie and Western Railroad; when the railroad built a depot in Six Mile, it renamed the community for local resident John Glynn. St. Thomas' Church also grew, reaching the point that the old frame church was becoming too small for the number of parishoners. Accordingly, the cornerstone was laid for a new brick church in 1883. In this same year, the parish was rededicated for Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland; the cemetery retained its former name.

Architectural historians have divided the Precious Blood-related churches of western Ohio into multiple generations. Only a few buildings remain from the first generation, which consisted primarily of small wooden churches, and only St. John'smarker in Fryburg to the east remains essentially unchanged. Replacing these wooden buildings were the churches of the second generation, which were generally small brick buildings without tall spires. St. Patrick's occupies somewhat of a transitional place between the churches of the second and third generations; although it is a small brick building that replaced an early wooden church, its tower resembles those of the High Gothic Revival churches of the third generation.

Recent history

In 1979, St. Patrick's Church was recognized for its architecture by being added to the National Register of Historic Places. Twenty-seven other churches, including the old mother church in Minstermarker, were added to the Register at the same time.

Today, St. Patrick's remains an active parish of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. It is clustered with Holy Rosary parish in St. Marys, and both churches are a part of the St. Marys Deanery.

References

  1. DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
  2. Brown, Mary Ann and Mary Niekamp. National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Cross-Tipped Churches Thematic Resources. National Park Service, July 1978. Accessed 2009-11-21.
  3. Fortin, Roger. Faith and Action: A History of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati 1821-1996. Columbus: Ohio State UP, 2002, 400.
  4. Auglaize County Historical Society. "A History of St. Patrick's Church and the community of Glynnwood." History at a Glance, Spring 2007. Accessed 2009-11-21.
  5. Who was Saint Patrick, History Channel, 2008. Accessed 2009-11-23.
  6. The Futures Project, Archdiocese of Cincinnati. Accessed 2009-11-21.



Embed code: at The Full Wiki'>
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message