The Full Wiki

More info on St. Sebaldus Church

St. Sebaldus Church: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Northern facade of St. Sebaldus.


St. Sebaldus Church (St. Sebald, Sebalduskirche) is a medieval church in Nurembergmarker, Germanymarker. Along with Frauenkirche (Our Lady's Church) and St. Lorenz, it is one of the most important churches of the city, and also one of the oldest. It is located at the Albrecht-Dürer-Platz, in front of the old city hall. It takes its name from Sebaldus, an 8th century hermit and missionary and patron saint of Nuremberg.

History

3D historical restoration of the Romanesque-period form of the St. Sebald Church
3D historical restoration of the early Gothic-period Saint Sebald Church


The construction of the building began in 1230s. the church achieved parish church status in 1255 and was completed by 1273-75. It was originally built as a Romanesque basilica with two choir. During the 14th century several important changes to the construction were made: first the side aisles were widened and the steeple made higher (1309–1345), then the late gothic hall chancel was built (1358–1379). The two towers were added in the 15th century. In the middle 17th century galleries were added and the interior was remodelled in the Baroque fashion. The church suffered serious damage during World War II and was subsequently reconstructed. Some of the old interior did survive, including the Shrine of St. Sebaldus, works by Veit Stoss and the stained glass windows.

Organ

The church had an organ by the 14th century, and another by the 15th. The main organ had been built in 1440–41 by Heinrich Traxdorf, who also built two small organs for Nuremberg's Frauenkirche. Until its destruction in the 20th century it was one of the oldest playable organs in the world, and all the more notable because Traxdorf was one of the first organ builders to depart from the gothic Blockwerk organ by dividing the windchests and separating the front stops into Flute (Principal) and Octave (see pipe organ). The Traxdorf organ was rebuilt in 1691. The modified case was destroyed by the by the Allied forces during a bombing raid on 2 January, 1945. The new 4 manual, 122 rank, 84 stop organ by Peter, Köln, was installed in 1975.

The position of organist of St. Sebaldus was the most important one of this kind in Nuremberg, and several important composers occupied this post. Organists who worked at St. Sebaldus include the following (almost all held the post until their death, except where stated otherwise):



Burials



References



External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message