The Full Wiki

St Kew: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



St Kew ( ) is a village and large civil parish in Cornwallmarker, United Kingdommarker. St Kew Churchtown is the main village and there is another at St Kew Highway where there was once a railway station.

The village is named for a Welsh saint, Cywa or Kew, possibly the sister of Docco, also known as: Docuin, Docwinn, Docquinn, who founded a monastery at or near the village of St Kew. The 15th century church, however is now dedicated to St James.

Church of St James

Ogham stone in the church of St James in the village of St. Kew
Passion of Christ at St James church, St Kew
The 15th century parish church, in the village of St Kew Churchtown, has important stained glass windows, including one depicting the Passion of Christ, which were restored in 2005. The windows were the most "memorable" part of Nikolaus Pevsner's visit. He also praised the pulpit: "Uncommonly good, Elizabethan, with ornamental panels . . ". He notes the carved capitals, the wagon roof, the 15th century font, bench ends, a 15th century cross-head and the Royal Arms, in stone. There is a curious Ogham stone, found in a local farm, in the church. see Gallery, below According to Charles Henderson, writing in the Cornish Church Guide (1925), the tracery and stonework of some windows at St Kew may have been transferred here from Bodminmarker Parish Church. The dedication was originally to St Docco but in the mid 15th century the patroness of a chapel (St Kewa, Virgin) nearby was transferred to the parish church when the church building was enlarged. Two other chapels existed in the parish in the late medieval period, one of St Wenna, and another of St Aldhelm at Chapel Amble (in Cornish: An Heyle 'by the estuary').

Notable residents



St Kew Community Primary School

The St Kew Community Primary School campus includes an infant playground with sandpit, large general playground with quiet garden, playing field with adventure equipment and science garden. The building is all on one level and comprises three classrooms and additional teaching space. There is a work/artroom, library, reception and hall, with kitchen facilities. St. Kew School, originally located in the Parish Hall at the turn of the 20th. Century, moved to its present location in 1928. Further extension and improvement in 1991 added a complete new wing providing the school with a new kitchen, hall/dining room/gymnasium and workroom, staffroom, library and offices.

Gallery: The church of St James in the village of St Kew

File:DSCN1857StKewChurch.jpg| Church with ancient cross.File:DSCN1878StKewChurchCaptal.jpg|Decorated capital in church.File:DSCN1890StKewChurchPulpit.jpg|Pulpit of St James church.File:DSCN1886StKewChurchMemorial.jpg|Detail of face - slate memorial at St James church.

St Kew Highway railway station

The station on the North Cornwall Railwaymarker opened in 1 June 1895, and had a passing loop and a single siding with headshunt that served a goods shed and loading dock. Both lines through the station had platforms although the down platform had no buildings and was only accessible via a foot crossing at the down end of the station. The station building itself, like the goods shed, was substantially constructed out of local stone, as was the locking room of the signal box. The passing loop was extended in 1939, but the up loop, sidings and signal box were taken out of use on 21 November 1965 as goods services had ceased on 7 September the previous year. Traffic was never very heavy and by the late 1930s was averaging 5 passengers per day, less than a third of that ten years earlier. The station was unmanned from 6 December 1965 and closed on 3 October 1966, although the building functioned for some time as a guest house but is now a private residence: it is partially visible from the A39.

References

  1. Name of village: Source: Doble, G. H. (1965) Saints of Cornwall, Part 4: Newquay, Padstow and Bodmin district. Truro: Dean & Chapter; pp. 105-109
  2. Pevsner, N. (1970) Buildings of England: Cornwall (1951;1970) (rev. Enid Radcliffe). Penguin Books (reissued by Yale U. P.) ISBN 0-300-09589-9; p. 185.
  3. Cornish Church Guide (1925) Truro: Blackford; pp. 119-121
  4. Edward Braddon: ODNB article by M. N. Sprod, ‘Braddon, Sir Edward Nicholas Coventry (1829–1904)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004
  5. St Kew Community Primary School


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message