The Full Wiki

More info on St Mabyn

St Mabyn: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:



St Mabyn is a village and civil parish situated between Wadebridgemarker and Bodmin Moormarker in Cornwallmarker, Englandmarker, United Kingdommarker.

The village is named after Saint Mabena, one of the 24 children of St Brychan, a Welsh saint and King of Brycheiniog in the 5th century. There are no other villages in the parish of St Mabyn, but there are many small manor houses, including Tregardenmarker, Tredethy, Helligan and Colquite, all built in the 16th and 17th centuries. The area of the parish is 4101 acres.

The village is centred on the Grade I listed 15th century St Mabyn Parish Churchmarker. Village amenities include a well stocked independent village store housing an ATM cashpoint and post office, a public house, a primary school, St.Mabyn C of E Primary Schoolmarker a playgroup, a scout group, a village hall, a tug o' war team, a garden club, and a Young Farmers' group. There is a King George's Field in memorial to King George V and a village green.

The village is surrounded by high quality, undulating farmland. The Allen valley to the north west contains a number of Cornish Nature Conservation Sites. Land to the south-east is designated as an open area of local significance. Four trees in the village are subject to preservation orders.

There was post-war development of local authority housing along Chapel Lane and Wadebridge Road. In the 1980s private housing schemes at Mabena Close and Meadow Court were completed and there was further ribbon development growth along Station Road.

The village has no connection to main sewerage and relies on septic tank drainage.

The population in 2001 was 560 persons, exactly the same as in 1811, having declined from 595 in 1991In 2004 the proportion of dwellings that were second homes or holiday accommodation reached 10.8% and in 2007 it was 12.3%.

Parish Church

Main article: St Mabyn Parish Churchmarker

The church comprises a chancel and nave with north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise seven four-centred arches of granite, supported on monolith granite pillars with sculptured capitals of St Stephens porcelain stone. There is a south porch, a north door, and priest's door. The tower is 75 feet high and has three stages. It has a parapet with pinnacles. The earliest recorded Priest-in-charge was Roger de Warlegan in 1267. The church is used regularly for services and weddings, Revd Margaret Millson officiates.

History

The earliest signs of habitation are at the Iron Age hill fort of Kelly Roundsmarker or Castle Killibury. Radiocarbon dating gives a date of occupation between 400 and 100 BC.

The parish was part of the ancient hundred of Triggshiremarker. In the Domesday book of 1087 this district was taxed under the jurisdiction of Treu-es-coit translated as "town of the wood" (now called Trevisquite) The inquisition of the Bishop of Lincoln and bishop of Winchester in 1294 gave the Cornish benefice "Ecclesia de Maben in decanatu de Trig Minorshire" a rateable value of £8. In Thomas Cardinal Wolsey's inquisition of 1521 it is rated at £36.

Sir Richard Serjeaux of Colquite in St Mabyn became High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1389.

Modern period

There used to be a United Methodist Free Church chapel, it was built with funding from Richard Hambly Andrew of Tredinnick in 1820 during the incumbency of Mr Leveson-Gower and is now a private house.

St Mabyn's standing stone was broken up for gateposts in 1850 and the stump re-located to the crossroads at Longstone.

The main land owners in 1875, apart from the church, were The Viscount Falmouth, the Trustees of the late Sir William Molesworth, John Tremayne from Heliganmarker, the heirs of the late John Peter-Hoblyn, Francis John Hext and Mrs. Hooper and Richard Hambly Andrew.

At Bodmin is an ornate granite drinking bowl which serves the needs of thirsty dogs at the entrance to Bodmin’s Priory car park which was donated by Prince Chula Chakrabongse of Thailand who lived at Tredethy.

There was an annual fair held on February 14th.

References

  1. EBK: St. Mabena
  2. Allan Ward Profile (Issue 8 March 2008) North Cornwall District Council
  3. Planning Portal
  4. GENUKI: St Mabyn
  5. http://www.ncdc.gov.uk/media/adobe/r/8/Second%20Homes%20in%20North%20Cornwall.pdf
  6. http://www.thisisnorthcornwall.com/st-mabyn.html
  7. "Weatherhill, Craig (1985) Cornovia: Ancient Sites of Cornwall & Scilly. Cornwall Books, 1985; revised 1997 & 2000, ISBN 1-871060-31-1)
  8. Polsue, Joseph (1870) A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall
  9. Polsue, Joseph (1872) A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, Vol. IV, p. 122
  10. Maclean, John (1875) Parochial and Family History of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall: St. Mabyn and Michaelstowe
  11. The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map: Longstone (St Mabyn) Standing Stone (Menhir)
  12. St Mabyn AP/CP Cornwall through time | Descriptive Gazetteer entries


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message