The Full Wiki

More info on Steamship William G. Mather Maritime Museum

Steamship William G. Mather Maritime Museum: Map

Advertisements
  

Wikipedia article:

Map showing all locations mentioned on Wikipedia article:

Steamship William G. Mather Maritime Museum

Steamship William G.

Mather at Dock 32, Cleveland OH, September 11, 2006
Career
Nationality Americanmarker
Ordered:
Laid down:
Launched: May 23, 1925
Named:
Maiden Voyage:
Status: Decommissioned
General characteristics
Tonnage: 8,662 gross tons
Cargo capacity: 14,000 tonnes
Length: 188 m (618 ft)
Beam: 18.9 m (62 ft)
Draft: 10 m (32 ft 10 in)
Height:
Power: 5000 shp
Propulsion: Steam Turbine, Oil-fired (repowered 1954)Built by DeLaval Steam Turbine Company, 1952

Quadruple expansion steam engine, coal-fired (1925-1954)
Speed:
Crew: 37 (1925-1964) ; 29 (1965-1980)
Cost:
The Steamship William G. Mather is a retired Great Lakesmarker bulk freighter now restored as a museum ship in Cleveland, Ohiomarker, one of four in the Great Lakes region. She transported cargo such as ore, coal, stone, and grain to ports throughout the Great Lakes, and was nicknamed "The Ship That Built Cleveland" because Cleveland's steel mills were a frequent destination.

History

She was built in as the flagship for the Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company and was named in honor of the then-company president, William Gwinn Mather. The Mather remained the Cliffs' flagship until the Edward B. Green (now the Kaye E. Barker of the Interlake Steamship Company fleet) was built in 1952. She remained an active part of the Cliffs' fleet until the end of the 1980 navigation season.

In order to supply the Allied Forces need for steel during World War II, the Mather led a convoy of 13 freighters in early 1941 through the ice-choked Upper Great Lakes to Duluth, Minnesotamarker, setting a record for the first arrival in a northern port. This heroic effort was featured in the April 28, 1941 issue of Life. She was one of the first commercial Great Lakes vessels to be equipped with radar in 1946. In 1964, she became the very first Americanmarker vessel to have an automated boiler system, manufactured by Bailey Controls of Cleveland, Ohiomarker.

In 1985, Cleveland-Cliffs sold its two remaining operating steamers to Rouge Steel Company, and gradually sold off its idle vessels until only the Mather remained, laid up in Toledo, Ohiomarker where she had been since 1980. On December 10, 1987, Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. donated the steamer William G. Mather to the Great Lakes Historical Society to be restored and preserved as a museum ship and floating maritime museum. After she was brought to Cleveland in October 1988 and funding was acquired from local foundations, corporations, and individuals, restoration began. Fire damage to the Mather's [[galley]] and after cabin spaces required a major restoration effort. All over the vessel, most of the work was supplied by volunteers who repaired, cleaned, chipped, painted, and polished brass in order to restore the ''Mather'''s former elegance. In October 1990, she was moved to her permanent berth at the East Ninth Street Pier on Cleveland's [[North Coast Harbor]]. In September 1994 the Great Lakes Historical Society divested itself of the museum. Due, in large part, to a groundswell of local support to keep the Mather in Cleveland, the [[Harbor Heritage Society]] was created to negotiate a new lease agreement with the city. Incorporated in June 1995, Harbor Heritage formally acquired the ''Mather'' on [[22 July]] [[1995]], and in 1996 continued to oversee the ''Mather'''s ongoing restoration, promotion, and development as a historic vessel. After 10 years of negotiations, the City Of Cleveland, represented by Mayor Jane L. Campbell signed a 40 year lease on 15 June 2003, allowing the Mather to stay at its East 9th Street berth.

On July 30, 1995 the Steamship William G. Mather was dedicated as an American Society of Mechanical Engineers National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark for her 1954 installation of a single marine boiler and steam turbine engine, her 1964 installation of the Bailey 760 Boiler Control System and American Shipbuilding AmThrust dual propeller bow thruster — all firsts for U.S.-Flag Great Lakes vessels. She had a sister ship of the same class named Joseph H Frantz, but was later converted to diesel, and was scrapped in 2005 after 80 years of continuous use.

Image:William G Mather.jpg|A front view of the maritime museumImage:Mather Room 1.jpg|Internal view inside of the rooms on the William G. Mather Maritime Museum

Current location

On September 24, 2005, the museum was moved from the East Ninth Street Pier to Dock 32, just west of the East Ninth Street Pier, closer to the Great Lakes Science Centermarker and the Rock and Roll Hall of Famemarker.

In October 2006, the William G. Mather was acquired by the Great Lakes Science Center. Today the ship is a focal point for interpreting the relationship between technology, history, commerce, and the environment.

References

  1. " Mather Tugged to New Dock", The Plain Dealer, September 25, 2005.


External links




Embed code:
Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message