Stockton is a small village in the Wylye
Valley in Wiltshire, England (grid
Location and extent
village is close to Codford, south of
the A36 road, between the town of Warminster and the city of Salisbury. Its parish includes the
neighbouring hamlet of Bapton, one house
(Fisherton Mill) in the village of Fisherton Delamere, and two cottages some
three miles from the main village street at a remote spot called
Image:StocktonChurch1.jpg|View of church from main
gateImage:StocktonChurch2.jpg|View of south-east corner of
churchImage:StocktonChurch3.jpg|View of north-east corner of
churchSt John the Baptist's
Stockton, is largely unrestored and in the south aisle has an early
14th-century stone effigy of a lady, believed to be the foundress
of the chantry
for which this aisle was
built. In the north aisle is a canopied tomb of John and Mary Topp.
Parts of the building date from the late 12th-century.
Stockton has one pub
, in the main village street.
Stockton shares The Wylye Valley Church of England Primary School,
on a site some two miles away at Cherry Orchard in nearby Codford,
with several other villages. The nearest secondary schools are at
Warminster and Salisbury and include Warminster School.
government services are provided by Wiltshire Council, which has its offices in Trowbridge, some fifteen miles to the north.
also has its own elected parish council of five members.
village is represented in Parliament by the member of parliament for Westbury, Andrew Murrison,
and in Wiltshire Council by
The number of residents has dwindled from 307 at the census
of 1841 to 187 in the year 2001.
Stockton House, a country house
Chilmark stone at the north end of the village, was built by John
Topp, a local clothier, around 1603. Most of its Jacobean
features have survived.
Longhall, another country house at the south end of the village, is
the seat of the Yeatman-Biggs family.
The village also has several thatched cottages, some with 15th and
16th century origins.