Stone Street Historic District is a one-block
section of the west side of that street in the hamlet of
It was recognized as a historic district
and added to the
of Historic Places
in 1987 as the largest group of intact
houses in the hamlet.
in area, it includes four houses built
in the middle of the 19th century in vernacular styles
ranging from Greek Revival
to the only
the hamlet, reflecting architectural tastes of that time. Located
atop a small rise with views to the Hudson
from the rear, they were in their time the premiere
residential area of their small community. The houses opposite them
were demolished in a railroad expansion, but the remaining homes
have been altered very little.
The district includes all four homes on the lots
on Stone between Bridge Street on the
south and Division Street on the north. The house at 18 Division is
also included. All are contributing properties
. There are two
outbuildings, one of which is also considered contributing.
- 5 Stone Street. A two-story, three-bay brick home on a raised
built circa 1858. Front doorway behind full-length porch has
original paneled door with side and transom lights divided by pilasters.
- 7 Stone Street. A Second Empire home of similar
composition, size and fenestration
built in 1870. It has a mansard roof
with slate tile
and pedimented dormer windows. Has a small, contributing barn
with tin roof in rear.
- 9 Stone Street. One-and-a-half-story frame house on raised basement with L-shaped gabled
roof in diamond-patterned slate, built ca. 1870. Three-bay front
porch has bracketed cornice.
- 18 Division Street. Five-bay two-story
clapboard house originally
built in 1845 and heavily renovated in 1870. Bracketed cornice on
all elevations; windows have architraves
with straight corbeled heads.
The Stone Street lots were originally the property of Samuel and
Maria Ellis, who bought them all in 1841 and built the original
home at 18 Division Street. After Samuel Ellis died in 1857, Maria and
her children began selling off the other lots. the recent
construction of the nearby Hudson River
Railroad had made Stone Street a prime residential property
location, atop a low rise a short walk from downtown.
Marvin Van Anders, owner of the New Hamburg Hotel on Point Street,
built 5 Stone Street for himself later that year. The lot next door
went through several owners until Peter and Rachel Leroy bought it
and built the house where they would live for the next 20 years.
Finally, 9 Stone was sold in 1870 to William Bogardus, baggage
master for the railroad. The original house at 18 Division Street
was heavily renovated that year as well.
Around 1900 the neighborhood changed significantly when the
New York Central
now owned the tracks, decided to convert the tunnel
originally built north of the New Hamburg
station to an open cut. In order to do this, it acquired the homes
on the east side of the street and demolished
them, opening up the space in front of
the homes on the west. The neighborhood changed again in 1928, when
the railroad decided to expand the main line to four tracks and
closed off the Main Street grade
. It was replaced by the new Bridge Street, which
intersected Stone just south of today's district, making it a
little more accessible to the center of the small community.
Since then some of the houses have been converted into apartments,
as New Hamburg's days as a commercial shipping center have long
ended, and the New York Central has given way to Metro-North
service. Stone Street has remained
5 and 7 Stone Street present an interesting contrast in styles. The
Greek Revival forms of the former are extremely conservative for
their time, suggesting an almost deliberate choice of a mode that
had largely fallen out of favor by then, even in smaller towns. The
Second Empire stylings of its neighbor are, by contrast, an early
use for such a small town. It is possible that Leroy, a riverboat
captain, had greater exposure to contemporary architectural trends
through his work and visits to other Hudson Valley communities and
reflected that in the way he chose to build his house.
A unifying touch to all four houses is the Hudson River
porches. This too reflects some awareness of
architecture outside the immediate vicinity of New Hamburg.