Stralsund ( ) is a city in
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, situated at
the southern coast of the Strelasund (a sound of the
Sea separating the island of
Rügen from the
mainland).Two bridges (the Rügendamm and since October 2007 the new Rügen bridge)
and several ferry services connect Stralsund
with the ports of Rügen.
The main industries of Stralsund are shipyards
, and, to
an increasing degree, tourism
medieval ages, the Stralsund area was part of the West Slavic Principality of Rügen, which was
part of the Kingdom of
Denmark since 1168. At that time, the Dänholm isle and a
small fishing village, both at the site of the latter city, were
named Strale / Stralow, meaning "arrow" (this meaning is
still preserved in the town's coat of arms, showing an
In the course of German Ostsiedlung
, many German settlers, gentry and
merchants were called into the principality, and eventually
populated the Strale
site. Merchants from other countries
as well as locals were attracted to the settlement and made up for
one third of the city's population. The Danish navy was using the
isle as well. When the settlement had grown to town size, prince
of Rügen granted Lübeck law
to "our town Stralow
1234. In 1240, when the prince gave additional land to the city, he
called it Stralesund
success of the settlement challenged the powerful Free City of
Lübeck, which burnt Stralsund down in 1249.
Afterwards the town was rebuilt with a massive city wall
having 11 town
and 30 watchtowers. The Neustadt
, a town-like
suburb, was merged to Stralsund by 1361. Schadegard
twin town to Stralsund also founded by Wizlaw I nearby, but was not
granted German law, served as the principal stronghold and enclosed
a fort. It was given up and torn down by 1269 under the pressure of
the Stralsund Bürger
In 1293 Stralsund became a member of the Hanseatic League
. A total of 300
ships flying the flag of Stralsund
cruised the Baltic
Sea in the 14th century.
In 1325, the Principality of Rügen
of the Duchy of Pomerania
Stralsund however maintained a considerable independence.
In the 17th century, Stralsund became a theatre in the Thirty Years' War
. In the Battle of
Stralsund , the town was besieged by Albrecht von Wallenstein after the
council refused to accept the Capitulation of Franzburg..
resisted with Danish and Swedish support.
The Swedish garrison
in Stralsund was the first on German soil in history. With the Treaty of Stettin , the town became
one of two major Swedish forts in the Duchy of Pomerania, besides Stettin (now
war, the Peace of Westphalia
(1648) and the Treaty of
Stettin made Stralsund part of Swedish Pomerania. Lost to Russia in the
Battle of Stralsund , it
was restored to Sweden in the Treaty of
In the Great Northern War
in 1715 Charles XII
led the defence of Stralsund
for a year
against the united European armies. Stralsund remained under
Swedish control until the Battle of Stralsund
, when it was
seized by Napoleon Bonaparte
army. Seized by Ferdinand von
in 1809, it was
subsequently re-gained by
, with Schill killed in action. In the Congress of Vienna (1815), Stralsund
became a part of the Prussian Province of
Pomerania and the seat of a government region resembling the former
until German Reunification in
1990, Stralsund was part of the German
Brick Gothic historic centre is a
UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The heart of the old town is the Old Market Square (Alter
Markt), with the Gothic Town Hall (13th century). Behind the
town hall stands the imposing Nikolaikirche (St. Nicholas'
Church), built in 1270-1360. The square is surrounded by houses from different periods, including the Gothic
Wulflamhaus (a 14th-century patrician house, today a
restaurant), and the Baroque Commandantenhaus, seat of the
old Swedish command headquarters.
- The Jakobikirche (Saint James's Church), built in
mid-14th century. It was destroyed several times, e.g. by Wallenstein and in World
Marienkirche (Saint Mary's
Church), built in 1383-1473 in Gothic style, is the largest church in
Stralsund, and from 1625—1647 it was the world's tallest
structure. Its octagonal tower
(104 meters high) offers a magnificent view of
Stralsund and the neighboring islands of Rügen and Hiddensee.
- The Katharinenkloster (Monastery of Saint Catherine),
built in the 15th century, houses two museums: a museum of history,
and an oceanography museum. The ancient
refectory of the monastery is one of the
most spectacular Gothic interiors in Germany.,,
- The Johanniskloster (Franciscan monastery, 1254), is
one of the oldest buildings in the town.
- Stralsund is the port of registry for the
former German Reichsmarine Navy Sail Training ship "Gorch Fock"
1. It is now a floating Museum
- Stralsund has several museums dedicated to marine life and
human interaction with the sea. The biggest ones are the German Oceanographic Museum and
the new Ozeaneum. There is also a Nautineum. There is also the Marine Museum
containing the history of the Germany Navy. It is located on
Dänholm Island a former historic Navy Base. This museum houses one
of the last remaining DDR Volksmarine torpedo boats.
is linked to the A20 motorway
(towards Berlin and Hamburg), via the B96n
dual-carriageway. Other major roads include the B105 (beginning in the town centre and
continuing to Rostock) and the B96
(major road to Rügen) and the
B194 to Grimmen.
travelling by air, passengers usually do so via Rostock
Laage Airport with connecting flights from Munich.
Twin towns and sister cities
Stralsund is twinned
Image:StralsundVistaStrealsund.jpg|Stralsund as seen from the
seaside.Image:Gründungsurkunde der Stadt Stralsund.jpg|Founding
document from 1234.Image:Stralsund Marienkirche
2006.jpg|Marienkirche (St. Mary's church).Image:Stralsund St
Nikolai.jpg|Nikolaikirche (St. Nicolas's church).
Online Encyclopedia, "Stralsund" (city), 2007, webpage: